What's new

Bangladesh purchases Jiangwei II frigates from China

Don't underestimate them.

yeah that was a long time ago. they must have worked hard to solve it. do not underestimate any more. they got tech and money to train. Don't forget Arab people are most talented people... they used to memorize whole Qur'an after just listening to it.......

Why are u guys planning to buy Type 209 Subs
I mean These are 40 yr old designs
The oldest Type 209 in service with Turkey is 35 yrs old , even India is planning to retire 2 of these subs inducted in 1986-88 , by 2018
Why not look at Type 214
If u plan to acquire a second hand Type 209 which is about 25 yrs old @ 70-80ion USD , then it is ok

The oldest Type 209 in service with Turkey is 35 yrs old , even India is planning to retire 2 of these subs inducted in 1986-88 , by 2018
Why not look at Type 214
If u plan to acquire a second hand Type 209 which is about 25 yrs old @ 70-80ion USD , then it is ok

I'd really oppose having old subs in BN. Let alone second hand subs. The Bay of Bengal is comparatively shallow. BN might want to look into more practical options.

So, when are you guys going to retire those German-made subs?

I'd really oppose having old subs in BN. Let alone second hand subs. The Bay of Bengal is comparatively shallow. BN might want to look into more practical options.

So, when are you guys going to retire those German-made subs?

Dude ,
We have 4 Type 209 Subs , these were inducted in yr 1986 , 1988 , 1992 , 1994
Technically they will be retired once they complete 30 yrs in service ie between 2016-24 , However India recently sign MLU deal with Germany to upgrade last 2 Type 209 , This deal was signed as a security against any possible delay in P75I subs beyond 2020
The upgraded Type 209s could possibly serve till 2027

Why not look at Type 214

Well, BN has not decided yet. timeline is 2019... so they have plenty of time to think....

yeah that was a long time ago. they must have worked hard to solve it. do not underestimate any more. they got tech and money to train. Don't forget Arab people are most talented people... they used to memorize whole Qur'an after just listening to it.......

Don't underestimate them

Not underestimating...just speaking what has happened earlier.

Its true that decades have passed and off course, the Arabs must have improved in various aspects. But same goes for Israel. Even they have not stopped on their enhancement.

I would be the first person to be glad to see any muslim power rise in the region that can match Israel. But fact remains, Uncle Sam wont let that happen...how much ever aid or equipments Saudi gets, Israel will always have the edge for many reasons.

Cheers!!!

We should go for 1 or 2 destroyers...we cant wait for 2019 to add potency to our naval platform.

Would few destroyers fit our doctrine?

Cheers!!!

Littoral ships.

I thought you were talking about more practical options of subs.

You also claimed BN look forward to acquire them by 2019.

GB

P.S: - Which littoral btw? Freedom or independance?

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

are you serious or it was just a sarcasm?? Bangladesh is a poor country.. But she has an impressive navy if you consider her economical condition and relatively smaller maritime boundary.

North Korea and Vietnam are poorer compared to Bangladesh.

Have you checked their navy (or even military for that matter) lately?

If you do check out impressive is not the world one would use for Bangladesh Navy or military.

Every foreigner who studies about Bangladesh's military power starts his comment with this '' oh! I did not know Bangladesh has such military strength. How do they manage them? ''

I am sure the so called foriegners have never heard of Vietnam and North Korean militaries.

GB

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

We should go for 1 or 2 destroyers...we cant wait for 2019 to add potency to our naval platform.

Cheers!!!

If one has enough money everything fits.

Whats the BN doctorine btw? Can someone share?

GB

Not underestimating...just speaking what has happened earlier.

Its true that decades have passed and off course, the Arabs must have improved in various aspects. But same goes for Israel. Even they have not stopped on their enhancement.

I would be the first person to be glad to see any muslim power rise in the region that can match Israel. But fact remains, Uncle Sam wont let that happen...how much ever aid or equipments Saudi gets, Israel will always have the edge for many reasons.

Cheers!!!

Well, if Israel is ever going to militarily invade and occupy a country like Saudi Arabia, let me assure you that it won't end too well for invading Israelis. In fact, it'd be technically impossible for the Israelis to occupy another Middle Eastern country. They already had a hard time occupying Lebanon (which by the way had a very weak military).

The Saudis and Iranians (although not Arab) do work hard toward self-sufficiency.

Cheers!!!

Yes. But not easy to acquire. And they are very expensive.

I'd personally love to see one with the most up-to-date radars, sensors, electronic warfare package, etc. If we are going for any destroyer, we should have one with good AA capabilities. Something like the Type 45 Class Destroyer. It packs a heavy punch.
HMS Daring (D32) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And of-course, it should have cruise missile capability.

If you do check out impressive is not the world one would use for Bangladesh Navy or military.

Almost everyone is aware of North Korea's military. It is also well known that they emphasize on quantity rather then quality. They have everything large in number...but look at their age old Mig-21s that they still operate and paint-ed up T-62 shown in their parade as a new tank. However, fact remains that they are not that unknown to military analysts.

Vietnam has a stronger economy than Bangladesh...and i wont be surprised if they have a well maintained military.

GB

Sure, but there are variety of opinions regarding it.

BN basically has a defensive doctrine and protecting the maritime boundary from smuggling, piracy probably tops the list of priority. Someone correct me if i am wrong. Thanks.

Cheers!!!

I thought you were talking about more practical options of subs.

You also claimed BN look forward to acquire them by 2019.

GB

P.S: - Which littoral btw? Freedom or independance?

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

I am sure the so called foriegners have never heard of Vietnam and North Korean militaries.

GB

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

GB

one needs to be a fool to compare Bangladesh with a rogue nation like North Korea..

and Vietnam went through war against military super powers ..... still faces threat from china. .. ... .

Well, if Israel is ever going to militarily invade and occupy a country like Saudi Arabia, let me assure you that it won't end too well for invading Israelis. In fact, it'd be technically impossible for the Israelis to occupy another Middle Eastern country. They already had a hard time occupying Lebanon (which by the way had a very weak military).

The Saudis and Iranians (although not Arab) do work hard toward self-sufficiency.

About self-sufficiency, yes agreed.

Well we have to wait and see what happens, cannot brush aside Israel's capability regarding anything. As a last option, Israel has nuclear and chemical weapons that can vaporize entire middle east.

They failed in Lebanon because they did not fight a regular army but Hezbollah...whom they underestimated severely. They managed to blow up Merkavas and a billion dollar frigate, which is actually no joke.

Yes. But not easy to acquire. And they are very expensive.

I'd personally love to see one with the most up-to-date radars, sensors, electronic warfare package, etc. If we are going for any destroyer, we should have one with good AA capabilities. Something like the Type 45 Class Destroyer. It packs a heavy punch.
HMS Daring (D32) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And of-course, it should have cruise missile capability.

Indeed, AA capability is a must. I would next focus on the ASW capability of the destroyer.

New destroyers are very unlikely, second hand ones may stand a chance. 1 or 2 would be enoughfor some years to come.

Quite surprising that we spoke and though about subs but nothing till now yet on destroyers. No idea what our navy is upto!

Cheers!!!

Sure, but there are variety of opinions regarding it.

BN basically has a defensive doctrine and protecting the maritime boundary from smuggling, piracy probably tops the list of priority. Someone correct me if i am wrong. Thanks.

Cheers!!!

Precisely why I am asking for a BN doctorine.

Does anyone have it?

Almost everyone is aware of North Korea's military. It is also well known that they emphasize on quantity rather then quality. They have everything large in number...but look at their age old Mig-21s that they still operate and paint-ed up T-62 shown in their parade as a new tank. However, fact remains that they are not that unknown to military analysts.

This thread is not about NK.

But since it has come, let me assure you NK has new tanks (Pokpung-HO) and old tanks are always painted for the parades nothing wrong about it.

As far as subs are concerned NK has 22 Ming Class subs procured from China and they operate 4 Whiskey Class (Soviet) subs.

So please rethink about your claim of quantity over quality as BN has more than 80% chinese stuff.

If NK was so cheap in quality Iran wouldn't have purchased some 150 Chonma-ho tanks from them.

You should also check the NK shipbuilding industry and compare it with Bangladesh.

So please dont tell me that BD is poor hence BD doesn't have stuff. Its all about management. for e.g BD made a big mess of MiG-29 deal (corruption) which lead to cancellation of further orders.

GB

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

one needs to be a fool to compare Bangladesh with a rogue nation like North Korea..

and Vietnam went through war against military super powers ..... still faces threat from china. .. ... .

Your personal attacks wont help.

I was discussing on the point that
Bangladesh is a poor country.. But she has an impressive navy if you consider her economical condition and relatively smaller maritime boundary.

If poor country and impressive navy equation has to be tested then poorer country like NK (compared to BD) has an impressive navy compared to BD.

Now since this fact cant be digested you are twisting logic by calling them rouge and all. Like I have mentioned they have got a pretty good shipbuilding industry for that matter in comparison to BD.

GB

Back
Top Bottom