What's new

Bangladesh is secular, not moderate Muslim country: FM

No common muslim has any problem with indian idealogy !! i have many Muslim friends and we hardly care about each other's Religion !! we take good points from each and every religion and discart its bad points and thats what the true meaning of being secular is ...!! we are free to exercise any religion, go to any holy place, our textbook shouts from UKG till Graduation that all religions are equal.., we are free to eat anything, wear anything , pray anyone irrespective of our Religion..!!

and I forgot to address the bolded part.. If India or any other state has nothing to do with religion why are they banning satanic verses ?? wats the point in banning them that simply means state is taking side of religion and not Atheism coz its not banned in Atheism if there are some followers of satan or devil it will be unfair for them

to understand it, you need to understand Secular democracy... Secular country doesn't mean Atheist country or country of Atheists...

1. there will be no discrimination done based on cast, creed, religion... (and many other things like handicap, )
2. Nothing will be tolerated if it is hurting the feeling of any caste/religion..
3. people will be free to follow a religion and spread it, provided its not hurting others' sentiment (Recently churches in bangalore spread some literature where they abused hindu gods, government took strong action on them)

These are the reason why Satanic versus, Da Vinci code, Cow slaughter in public area or hindu area, Pig slaughter in Muslim area is banned ... you wil understand it, if you will understand democracy...

Being secular and being a moderate Muslim majority country are not mutually exclusive. Bangladesh can be both. I don't see the reason why Dipu Moni has to bring this up in a way to suggest it was choosing either one or the other. Secularism here means that the state will allow equal freedom of worship for all faiths and their practices. This is unlike the French example where secular means anti-religion.

Its not. Wether you like it or not, the Muslim majority is a part of Bangladesh just as being secular is. The same applies to countries like Turkey, Indonesia e.t.c.

You obviously don't know the Awami League. There is not another party in the world that cares less for its own people (and their culture and customs), and more for the interests of outsiders, than them.

to understand it, you need to understand Secular democracy... Secular country doesn't mean Atheist country or country of Atheists...

1. there will be no discrimination done based on cast, creed, religion... (and many other things like handicap, )
2. Nothing will be tolerated if it is hurting the feeling of any caste/religion..
3. people will be free to follow a religion and spread it, provided its not hurting others' sentiment (Recently churches in bangalore spread some literature where they abused hindu gods, government took strong action on them)

These are the reason why Satanic versus, Da Vinci code, Cow slaughter in public area or hindu area, Pig slaughter in Muslim area is banned ... you wil understand it, if you will understand democracy...

Hey, pig slaughter is not offensive to Muslims in any way, we just don't eat pork (Jews and some Christians are similar).

So where is secularism which says religion has nothing to do with state ??
you agree that state has to obey religious laws sometimes to keep law and order and that simply proves there is not a single practical example of secularism..
Indian state take side of hindus when it comes to cow slaughter?? and you know cows are cheap and then if you go more deep into religion 7 people can take part in Qurbani of one cow and that makes it quiet easy to obey the order of Allah..
So it is unfair for Muslims

You are stuck on the cow example, when i gave you examples of the state taking care of other religions too, not because the govt believes in any one religion. Equidistant, thats secularism. The govt is looking at the greater good, not any religious laws.

I want Vande mataram as national anthem, but i can't, is the govt favoring muslims over hindus?

and I forgot to address the bolded part.. If India or any other state has nothing to do with religion why are they banning satanic verses ?? wats the point in banning them that simply means state is taking side of religion and not Atheism coz its not banned in Atheism if there are some followers of satan or devil it will be unfair for them

Say what???

All you are proving is that you religious lot do not understand the concept of law and order and the greater good. That explains a lot about your country.

Waste of time.

Hey, pig slaughter is not offensive to Muslims in any way, we just don't eat pork (Jews and some Christians are similar).

out of context... I just wanted to say that religious freedom is till the point where it not hurting others, this is what Indian secular democracy is.. And most of the Hindus don't eat pork, In fact very very few hindus eat pork.... Mutton , Chicken and Fish is primary non veg items in india...

From my Point of View Discussions "how islamic is a Country" are senseless ! Which islamic Country or Society does follow Quran and islamic Teaching exactly ? You can have a secular State which put Religion away from Politics, you can have a so called "islamic Repuplic" which are based on Teachings of islamic Sects, Ahadith, Sunna and local Traditions !

The first is putting the Religion aside in Politics and public Life, the second Alternative is using the Religion to gain Controll of the Masses and influenced by Religious Sects and Leader. Both Alternatives have nothing to do with the Teaching of our Prophet Muhammed P.B.U.H and Quran !

From my Point of View Discussions "how islamic is a Country" are senseless ! Which islamic Country or Society does follow Quran and islamic Teaching exactly ? You can have a secular State which put Religion away from Politics, you can have a so called "islamic Repuplic" which are based on Teachings of islamic Sects, Ahadith, Sunna and local Traditions !

The first is putting the Religion aside in Politics and public Life, the second Alternative is using the Religion to gain Controll of the Masses and influenced by Religious Sects and Leader. Both Alternatives have nothing to do with the Teaching of our Prophet Muhammed P.B.U.H and Quran !

Religion is not mixed with politics in Bangladesh. However, Islam is a part of our heritage. To deny it is to deny our own identity. We already have politics and religion "separate" (well, BD is a democratic party where elected MP's make the law). However, we do not want to be called a "secular" party, because it is a denial of our own culture and heritage. France is "secular". Turkey is "secular". BDeshis do not want a country where girls wearing the headscarf are not allowed to enter universities or schools. If we accept we are a "secular" country, it will only be a matter of time before some atheists will call for the headscarf to be banned from universities, Islam to be banned, etc. We don't want that. Religion and politics is separate in BD and everyone is free to practise their own religion and there is no discrimination against anyone. But BD is a Democratic Islamic country, not a "secular" country. I think that is the thinking of the majority of Bangladeshis.

Bangladesh is a secular country for the most part.

Religion is not mixed with politics in Bangladesh. However, Islam is a part of our heritage. To deny it is to deny our own identity. We already have politics and religion "separate" (well, BD is a democratic party where elected MP's make the law). However, we do not want to be called a "secular" party, because it is a denial of our own culture and heritage. France is "secular". Turkey is "secular". BDeshis do not want a country where girls wearing the headscarf are not allowed to enter universities or schools. If we accept we are a "secular" country, it will only be a matter of time before some atheists will call for the headscarf to be banned from universities, Islam to be banned, etc. We don't want that. Religion and politics is separate in BD and everyone is free to practise their own religion and there is no discrimination against anyone. But BD is a Democratic Islamic country, not a "secular" country. I think that is the thinking of the majority of Bangladeshis.

Not necessarily you will go france or turkey way. You can go US or India way where people are comfortable with their religion and dont hide it. Just that it is not used as state policy or on administration.

Most politicians in India are religious too, they dont have to hide it. However govt or law cant favor a specific religion.

I agree with this statement

I would usually agree with you however, there have been some countries like Tunisia which have Islam as a state religion but still are undeniably secular. Indonesia has 5 official religion, but it is secular for the most part except for Aceh.

Who said being secular means banning Islam or headscarfs? Its up to BD to decide that.

The point of having a secular polity is that you don't have parties or groups which are so called "Islamic" and use religion to fool gullible people into giving them political power in the name of religion.

You can see examples of that in BD right now. ISlamic parties in BD took Qurans out in the street, completely disrespecting the mushaf purposely and all for what, to use this to politically capture power.

Those people who are morally corrupt and don't have a postive vision for the future are those that use religion for politics and having a secular polity is needed to weed such undesirables out. This does not mean being devout and pious is wrong. A devout and practicing muslim can become the PM of BD and use Islam as a moral compass to guide him. But he will not come to power on false slogans of "Islam in danger", "Only we can defend Islam and Muslims" or "give me vote if you are muslim".

And this does not apply just to Muslims but to any other religious political parties wether it be Chrisitanity, Hinduism or Jewish as well.

that is our Internal issue, please remain distant from it... :). My dear Bangla friend keep your hand on your heart and tell me, "doesn't religious/sectarian riots happen in bangladesh or pakistan???"

if not then I will agree that India is not good country.. We are newborn country, we have some problem, some differences, only a better governance can make a change.. Things are changing, We (india and bangladesh) are going in right direction..

I am proud of bangle intellectuals that they opted secular democracy. Its my personal belief that Bengolis are intellectual.. So please by posting this kind of crap , don't revert my perception...

@Gujrat : the riots are black spot on Indian democracy, We will wash it, justice will prevailed... Godhra train burning culprits are brought to justice, other rioters too will brought to justice...

So, it is your birthright to speak about the internal matters of BD when you say killing muslims and demolishing an old mosque become internal affairs of big DADA. It seems you do not follow yourself what you preach.

that is our Internal issue, please remain distant from it... :). My dear Bangla friend keep your hand on your heart and tell me, "doesn't religious/sectarian riots happen in bangladesh or pakistan???"

Can you cite one incident of communal riot in Bangladesh? We can cite tens of large and small riots in India.

Back
Top Bottom