What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

This appears to be Mig Disaster 2.0 for BAF.

Seeing the numbers, it appears Su 30s would form the maritime strike squadron which is cool. But are they planning to replace f 7s with Mig 35s? That's an imprudent choice since we have a small landmass and using twin-engine medium fighters for interceptor or land attack roles doesn't make sense considering their massive maintenance costs. Are they going for an offensive doctrine? Where will they source their budget from?

To replace F 7s, the best platforms would be J-10s or Gripens or any decent single-engine light/medium fighters.
it's not bad as it seems// twin engine comes with it's benefits... for a country like bangladesh with many bird, foreign object in the air... two engine jet ensures if one engine goes down... there is another engine to save the pilot and not end up in a disaster.... i do not see mig 35 as an hindrance.... as long as they can get a good understanding.... these will serve us better than f-7s ever did

I guess buying more trainers makes sense now. Last i heard that BAF only made 11 MRCA pilots so far.
i'm pretty sure existing pilots already had qualified for serving in upcoming jets... that maybe new pilot numbers.... but yes, pilot shortage exist and the amount of trainers acquired is not enough to train enough number of pilots... so they'll be sent abroad for filling the gaps quickly

So that Mig-35 blackmail part was true?! :o::P Putin you dirty mofo!! :angry:
eh well... bd should have known better imo... there is no brothers and sisters in international politics, just business

I am glad to see that the lazy BAF finally getting some work done.

However, I personally think MiG 35 isn't a bad deal, if we are also getting SU 30s. Our economy is in a good standing and we should have enough money to maintain them. Given how slow and careful our procurement usually is, I believe all obstacles must have been cleared by now. And that's why they are closing the deals.

Problem is this is putting all eggs in Russian basket. Not too sure how reliable they would be in times of conflict (if any). Not to forget, they also sided with Myanmar in the Rohingya crisis. But its strange that we changed some of our defence policies regarding China but nothing so against Russia.

If your source is accurate then BD will have only 3 sqd of 4th generation fighters, around 3 sqd of 3rd generation F7s and 2 sqd of yaks playing some kind of support role.... give or take 8 sqd.... but really 6 sqd of active frontline fighters.

Unless this is first of a series of purchases BAF is aiming for 50% of our offensive requirement.

I can not say i am happy but i would rather have this then nothing at all.

Would have preferred a medium term strategy of straight 10SQD of J10s with tot and maybe couple of SQD of SU.

However time is of the essence so heres hoping BAF gets this deal done.

BAFs own assessment is 10 active sqd... i would personally say BD needs to maintain 15 sqd but i am an arm chair general ....

But without raising my hope too much i am hoping your info is correct. BAF seriously need more assets and at this stage this is good enough.
i hope it works out the way i've been informed... i can't speak about anything anymore as i've been told not to...
but yeah... this is not the end... just the beginning. this must be the strength by the golden jubilee of the country if god willing...
at this point i just want to see them get some modern hardware without any clause and hiccups

I am glad to see that the lazy BAF finally getting some work done.

However, I personally think MiG 35 isn't a bad deal, if we are also getting SU 30s. Our economy is in a good standing and we should have enough money to maintain them. Given how slow and careful our procurement usually is, I believe all obstacles must have been cleared by now. And that's why they are closing the deals.

Problem is this is putting all eggs in Russian basket. Not too sure how reliable they would be in times of conflict (if any). Not to forget, they also sided with Myanmar in the Rohingya crisis. But its strange that we changed some of our defence policies regarding China but nothing so against Russia.

I'm guessing the thinking behind this apparent faith in Russia is cold hard cash.

In potential conflict with Myanmar, the Russians will likely support whoever has more to offer.

As Bangaldesh can probably at this time afford more than Myanmar, I guess the Russians would be likely not to hurt BD interests as BD will now become a major export market for Russian wares with this reported deal.

On the other hand, in any remote conflict with India, BD is (rhymes with bucked but starts with an f).

In fact, I am sure the Indians and Russians have discussed this deal and have pushed their own interests given the kind of bitches they are when their neighbors buy weapons.

In my opinion, I'm glad BAF is finally getting stuff in substantial numbers.

But I'm not happy with the choice.

This reported deal sets up a fork in the road for the next 50 years.

I wouldn't have chosen it.

Gripen and J-10 would have been my choice.

But all we can do here is type on keyboards.

Myanmar was hardly going to buy Mig-35 when they committed to JF-17 already.
Also Myanmar is so cash-strapped they could only afford 6 SU-30s.

If the source is true that BAF has brought 32 Mig-35s, then Russia gains a substantial export order for their latest 4th gen fighter which is larger than their own order.
Any official word on the procurement? (bdmilitary and hearsay aren't official)
Going by your logic of "cash strapped", they procured 16 Thunders and 6 Sukhois. In contrast, BAF is still claims and rumors. A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush.
@Imran Khan

Any official word on the procurement? (bdmilitary and hearsay aren't official)
Going by your logic of "cash strapped", they procured 16 Thunders and 6 Sukhois. In contrast, BAF is still claims and rumors. A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush.
@Imran Khan

UAC officials are talking about it.

No numbers mentioned.

Also BD can probably afford a hell of a lot more than you give credit for.

Potentially 32 MiG-35 and 12 SU-30SME is quite a sizable purchase if true.

UAC officials are talking about it.

No numbers mentioned.

Also BD can probably afford a hell of a lot more than you give credit for.

Potentially 32 MiG-35 and 12 SU-30SME is quite a sizable purchase if true.
Please, it's not a question of economics. Cash strapped Countries like Pakistan & Myanmar are procuring at a higher pace than BD, so it has little to do with affordability. Let's not derail it. To me, it's the geopolitical implications of a strong BD military that is stagnating its growth.
Does it make sense to procure 2 different kinds of twin-engined fighters?

Please, it's not a question of economics. Cash strapped Countries like Pakistan & Myanmar are procuring at a higher pace than BD, so it has little to do with affordability. Let's not derail it. To me, it's the geopolitical implications of a strong BD military that is stagnating its growth.
Does it make sense to procure 2 different kinds of twin-engined fighters?

That’s a good question.

And a complex one.

I wish I had the ability to know the rational for this reported choice.

Any path BAF chose would come with its own set of pros and cons.

I really wonder what the procurement guys were thinking when they came up what this plan.

(If true)

I started off hating this reported purchase.

But the more I think about it, it’s not that bad and there is some benefit to this path.

Procuring fighters is as much if not more so political than tactical.

If this reported purchase is true, it says a lot about what BD thinks about the various traditional weapons suppliers in its history.

Or it could just be that the decision makers are incompetent.

Time will tell.

That’s a good question.

And a complex one.

I wish I had the ability to know the rational for this reported choice.

Any path BAF chose would come with its own set of pros and cons.

I really wonder what the procurement guys were thinking when they came up what this plan.

(If true)

I started off hating this reported purchase.

But the more I think about it, it’s not that bad and there is some benefit to this path.

Procuring fighters is as much if not more so political than tactical.

If this reported purchase is true, it says a lot about what BD thinks about the various traditional weapons suppliers in its history.

Or it could just be that the decision makers are incompetent.

Time will tell.
It's also about knowing and acknowledging your enemy and future adversary. This to me is a determining factor in weapon procurement. Pakistan has stuck to Indian centric weapons since it's existence with slight modification as we learn from our mistakes and realize our shortcomings. Wish BD all the best.

It's also about knowing and acknowledging your enemy and future adversary. This to me is a determining factor in weapon procurement. Pakistan has stuck to Indian centric weapons since it's existence with slight modification as we learn from our mistakes and realize our shortcomings. Wish BD all the best.

Yea if this reported purchase is true, BD has been neutered in regards to India.

This is for Myanmar.

Yea if this reported purchase is true, BD has been neutered in regards to India.

This is for Myanmar.

I do not think we can rule out BAF also going for J-10Cs as well, say 5 years in the future.
If the reports of BD growth up to 2030 are true, then BAF funds will grow very fast up to then. Plenty of money will be available to buy some squadrons of Chinese fighters.
The one reason that I have hope for J-10C is the large purchase of K-8s last summer - Yak-130 can do everything this can do and so makes little sense to buy this as it is not substantially cheaper.
BAF may have been persuaded the Mig-35 was not such a bad
idea as it already operates Mig-29 which is basically the same plane.

I do not think we can rule out BAF also going for J-10Cs as well, say 5 years in the future.
If the reports of BD growth up to 2030 are true, then BAF funds will grow very fast up to then. Plenty of money will be available to buy some squadrons of Chinese fighters.
The one reason that I have hope for KJ-10C is the large purchase of K-8s last summer - Yak-130 can do everything this can do and so makes little sense to buy this as it is not substantially cheaper.
BAF may have been persuaded the Mig-35 was not such a bad
idea as it already operates Mig-29 which is basically the same plane.

It makes NO sense for BD to buy J-10 and MiG-35.

Also K-8 is the initial jet trainer with pilots moving on to YAK-130.

The advantage of the Yak is its ability to simulate flight characteristics of the more advanced Russian fighters while being cheaper to operate than its two seat variants.

It makes NO sense for BD to buy J-10 and MiG-35.

Also K-8 is the initial jet trainer with pilots moving on to YAK-130.

The advantage of the Yak is its ability to simulate flight characteristics of the more advanced Russian fighters while being cheaper to operate than its two seat variants.

I kind of agree with you.
Buying both Mig-35 and J-10C is dumb.
From my understanding, pilots can move straight onto Yak-130 without K-8 intermediate trainer . Reason I say this is that the RAF here operates one propeller trainer and one jet trainer. There is no intermediate jet trainer required.
My hope is that BAF was so desperate for SU-30 and brought the Mig-35 which is good enough for Myanmar, thinking that it will have enough money in 5 years to then go Chinese.
BAF will have a large enough budget to operate 3 fighters as the economy looks set to stay strong.
Dumb I know but we are talking about BD and BAF here!

Edit - as far as I am aware you can move straight from K-8 to J-10C 2 seater for final training. BAF may have purchased no less than 23 K-8s last summer.

Back
Top Bottom