What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

They have half the economy of Soviet Union and spend half as much of GDP on defence and so have one quarter of the budget as during Cold War.
No way Russia can compete with USA ever again.
Its not about GDP bro.. its about resources. They have plenty of them. Most of the Soviet Era GDP came along with liability and Russia had to carry many ailing union members of eastern europe which is not the case anymore.
I still remember Soviet Union had to import wheat from America, now Russia is a big exporter. There were hardly any gas left for export in Soviet time, now they are the big fish along with Opec.

Its not about GDP bro.. its about resources. They have plenty of them. Most of the Soviet Era GDP came along with liability and Russia had to carry many ailing union members of eastern europe which is not the case anymore.

Their SU-57 is a miserable failure.
They are behind USA, EU and are about equal with China these days. In 5-10 years China will have surpassed them.

Their SU-57 is a miserable failure.
They are behind USA, EU and are about equal with China these days. In 5-10 years China will have surpassed them.
Dont buy this, specially Indian propaganda. Indians are idiots which rejected their own Tejas..
It takes time to mature a platform. Russian started working on stealth at least 20 years after USA.

okay so i got confirmation that there will be 32 mig 35 and 12 sukhoi 30... first deal will be for sukhoi 30 and more yak 130... mig 35s will come a year later.... after sukhoi delivery is complete

MIG 29 deal was good, except what happened post awami govt.... that destroyed BAF for good.
BAF should focus more on anti aircraft guns than missiles... missile bunkers have been completed in Chittagong for LY_80.... new chinese GMLRS are on the paper with range extension plan to 800 or so km....

everything will be good if we don't deviate

If your source is accurate then BD will have only 3 sqd of 4th generation fighters, around 3 sqd of 3rd generation F7s and 2 sqd of yaks playing some kind of support role.... give or take 8 sqd.... but really 6 sqd of active frontline fighters.

Unless this is first of a series of purchases BAF is aiming for 50% of our offensive requirement.

I can not say i am happy but i would rather have this then nothing at all.

Would have preferred a medium term strategy of straight 10SQD of J10s with tot and maybe couple of SQD of SU.

However time is of the essence so heres hoping BAF gets this deal done.

BAFs own assessment is 10 active sqd... i would personally say BD needs to maintain 15 sqd but i am an arm chair general ....

But without raising my hope too much i am hoping your info is correct. BAF seriously need more assets and at this stage this is good enough.

there is a shortage of pilots and retired pilots are being hired in NCO roles.... most likely many pilots will be sent abroad for training... so don't be surprised if you see bangladeshi cadets in turkish, pakistani, russian, saudi, Kuwait, US or UK for training in various platforms like transport/ helicopter/ fighters etc

I guess buying more trainers makes sense now. Last i heard that BAF only made 11 MRCA pilots so far.

the russian clause for su30 might have something to do with it

So that Mig-35 blackmail part was true?! :o::P Putin you dirty mofo!! :angry:

10SQD of J10s with tot

That's ToT part is only a wet dream. Highly unlikely.

That's ToT part is only a wet dream. Highly unlikely.

Everything starts off with a dream. We do not have the technological base at the minute but you have to start somewhere.

I believe plan is being materialised to build trainers.... logical steps to build fully fledged jets.

If there is a will there is a way, although when it comes to BAF will is in short supply.

okay so i got confirmation that there will be 32 mig 35 and 12 sukhoi 30... first deal will be for sukhoi 30 and more yak 130... mig 35s will come a year later.... after sukhoi delivery is complete

This appears to be Mig Disaster 2.0 for BAF.

Seeing the numbers, it appears Su 30s would form the maritime strike squadron which is cool. But are they planning to replace f 7s with Mig 35s? That's an imprudent choice since we have a small landmass and using twin-engine medium fighters for interceptor or land attack roles doesn't make sense considering their massive maintenance costs. Are they going for an offensive doctrine? Where will they source their budget from?

To replace F 7s, the best platforms would be J-10s or Gripens or any decent single-engine light/medium fighters.

This appears to be Mig Disaster 2.0 for BAF.

Seeing the numbers, it appears Su 30s would form the maritime strike squadron which is cool. But are they planning to replace f 7s with Mig 35s? That's an imprudent choice since we have a small landmass and using twin-engine medium fighters for interceptor or land attack roles doesn't make sense considering their massive maintenance costs. Are they going for an offensive doctrine? Where will they source their budget from?

To replace F 7s, the best platforms would be J-10s or Gripens or any decent single-engine light/medium fighters.

Budget is not the issue.
By the times all these aircraft are inducted, BAF budget would have nearly doubled.

My concern is why buy Mig-35s when BAF should be going for J-10Cs and Gripen Es.

Budget is not the issue.
By the times all these aircraft are inducted, BAF budget would have nearly doubled.

My concern is why buy Mig-35s when BAF should be going for J-10Cs and Gripen Es.

Even if the budget is doubled, I don't see any justification in wasting money on unnecessarily extra maintenance costs with these twin-engined Mig 35s as the backbone fighters for BAF. Even China uses single-engined J10s as their backbone fighter despite having a huge landmass.

Even if the budget is doubled, I don't see any justification in wasting money on unnecessarily extra maintenance costs with these twin-engined Mig 35s as the backbone fighters for BAF. Even China uses single-engined J10s as their backbone fighter despite having a huge landmass.

Word is that BAF so badly wanted SU-30SME that they had to accept Russian blackmail and buy these Mig-35s. While more expensive to operate that say J-10C, they will be cheaper than the SU-30SMEs. Other matter is that BD would get some ToT for buying the Mig-35.

Word is that BAF so badly wanted SU-30SME that they had to accept Russian blackmail and buy these Mig-35s. While more expensive to operate that say J-10C, they will be cheaper than the SU-30SMEs. Other matter is that BD would get some ToT for buying the Mig-35.

Well all these blackmailing shits are only heard when it comes to deals involving Bangladesh. Myanmar also bought Su 30SMEs according to the media. Haven't heard of any blackmails against Myanmar. I'm guessing it's a result of some corruption involved.

About the ToT part, I would really like to see this happening but I would hold my horses till its official confirmation.

Well all these blackmailing shits are only heard when it comes to deals involving Bangladesh. Myanmar also bought Su 30SMEs according to the media. Haven't heard of any blackmails against Myanmar. I'm guessing it's a result of some corruption involved.

About the ToT part, I would really like to see this happening but I would hold my horses till its official confirmation.

Myanmar was hardly going to buy Mig-35 when they committed to JF-17 already.
Also Myanmar is so cash-strapped they could only afford 6 SU-30s.

If the source is true that BAF has brought 32 Mig-35s, then Russia gains a substantial export order for their latest 4th gen fighter which is larger than their own order.

Back
Top Bottom