What's new

Azerbaijan Defence Programs & Military Development

When you sell weapons to our enemy (Turkmenistan) how can you expect us to buy weapons from you ?

LOL, a little dispute and we become "enemies"? You need far more reasons to label someone as "enemies".

And besides, Russia is an official ally of Armenia, they are in same military, political, economic blocs. Why has Russia become our no.1 supplier of military equipment? Azerbaijani government don't have a problem with buying weapons from the ally of our arch enemy? Don't take this personally, but let's choose our words wisely.

Last edited:
With all respect, that is ridiculously wrong analysis. I don't know why some of guys wanted you to comment but all what you posted deserve to be only your personal opinion and not more then that.
I think you are referring to my posts. which part of it is wrong in your opinion? The turkmen related part or Russian or Iran or Israel or Turkey part? BTW, obviously any analysis is a personal opinion based on some facts, and seen from a different perspective, and no analyses are official documents ;)

LOL, a little dispute and we become "enemies"? Come on dude.

We are not enemy with Turkmen people, but what Turkmenistan government stated in supporting Armenia for Karabakh conflict, needs to be considered carefully.

Turkmenistan's government has never stated such a thing, no state has openly stated such a thing.

No need to exaggerate small details. There is absolutely no important issues between the two countries.

]
LOL, a little dispute and we become "enemies"? You need far more reasons to label someone as "enemies".

And besides, Russia is an official ally of Armenia, they are in same military, political, economic blocs. Why has Russia become our no.1 supplier of military equipment? Azerbaijani government don't have a problem with buying weapons from the ally of our arch enemy? Don't take this personally, but let's choose our words wisely.

erhmm because we use a lot of soviet equipment and can't afford to completely replace all of them fast

Turkmenistan's government has never stated such a thing, no state has openly stated such a thing.

No need to exaggerate small details. There is absolutely no important issues between the two countries.
Dude, I obviously don't have any beef with Turkmens as I clearly stated many times, but, Turkmenistan's position about Karabagh is very clear and is unfriendly at the best case.

As for Dearsan cooperating with Turkmenistan, I think that might have had an influence. Not because someone is our "enemies," but it might be better to seek a different solution than what has been already chosen by another state in the Caspian Sea.

And Azerbaijan does buy weapons from Turkey obviously. Read your post and see how wrong it sounds, when perhaps you should have just talked about Dearsan.

5358101.jpg

Dude, I obviously don't have any beef with Turkmens as I clearly stated many times, but, Turkmenistan's position about Karabagh is very clear and is unfriendly at the best case.

And why should anyone have any beef with Turkmens? I certainly didn't suggest such a thing, I'm also talking about governments.

From where exactly did you get that Turkmenistan supports Armenia on Karabakh issue? Even Russia doesn't openly support Armenia in statements, just talks of "peaceful solution" that every country repeats. While Russia does actually support Armenia in forms of military, economic and political support, I just don't see how can that possibly apply to Turkmenistan. Even one can clearly see Iran is supporting Armenia economically, but still how exactly does any of that apply to Turkmenistan?

Last edited:
]

erhmm because we use a lot of soviet equipment and can't afford to completely replace all of them fast

That's right in an extent. specially about the equipments that need a lot of trainings, like fighter jets, ... Even with an infinite budget, one cannot change all of the equipments suddenly. But, we need to have some strategy to replace some of these stuff in long term.

And why should anyone have any beef with Turkmens? I certainly didn't suggest such a thing, I'm also talking about governments.

From where exactly did you get that Turkmenistan supports Armenia on Karabakh issue? Even Russia doesn't openly support Armenia in statements, just talks of "peaceful solution" that every country repeats.
Because their president said some stuff a couple of months ago which meant so. Turkmenistan government is basically repeating what Russians tell them to say. About Russia, I agree with you, and as I mentioned before, Russia's policy is having some kind of balance between South Caucasian countries, and at the same time, avoid them to join to Western/US camp. So, although they support Armenians who are the weaker side, they don't want to lose us either.

Last edited:
If Azerbaijan continuously purchasing new weaponry from Russia, do you think that we have even intention to get rid of them?

The point is that Russia is the one who has the key to solve the Karabagh issue. If these purchases makes Russians position more close to us, I don't have objections about it. Besides that, consider that We can have access to other soviet countries who can help us in maintaining and using Russian weapons as well. So, even if Russia stops to give us technical support in a hypothetical scenario, we can still find many technicians, and spare parts for Russian weapons in other ex-soviet countries like Ukraine, ... but, having a good long-time strategy to achieve western weapons is necessary as well.

The point is that Russia is the one who has the key to solve the Karabagh issue. If these purchases makes Russians position more close to us, I don't have objections about it. Besides that, consider that We can have access to other soviet countries who can help us in maintaining and using Russian weapons as well. So, even if Russia stops to give us technical support in a hypothetical scenario, we can still find many technicians, and spare parts for Russian weapons in other ex-soviet countries like Ukraine, ... but, having a good long-time strategy to achieve western weapons is necessary as well.

Azerbaijan buys new samples of weaponry from Russia, so one most certainly cannot find spare parts for them in any country other than Russia. Are you telling me that you would find spare parts for T-90 or BMP-3 in Ukraine or some other country? They have nothing to do with the production of any of these systems.

Azerbaijan buys new samples of weaponry from Russia, so one most certainly cannot find spare parts for them in any other country other than Russia.
like what exactly?
S-300? Belarus, Ukraine, Kazakhstan has it already
Mi-35? almost every ex-soviet, ex-Warsaw country has it.
Mig-29? all central asian countries, and most other ex-soviets and ex-warsaw pact countries has it.
T-90 tanks? Kazakhs already have it, Ukranians and even some Russian can give technical assistance as well.

You would have been right, if they were selling us something like PAKFA, but they have not sold such thing, and I believe they would not sell an advanced jet to us, until Turkey starts to make her own indigenous advanced jets, and then Russians would be willing to sell fighter jets to us as well to preserve the market and influence for themselves.

Azerbaijan has PMU-2 version, radically different from older versions of S-300 used by those countries. In fact, there is absolutely nothing in common. It has more in common with S-400 than those older S-300 models.

Azerbaijan bought the Mi-35M, no other ex-Soviet (apart from Russia of course), ex-Warsaw country has it. There are many differences from the Mi-24 in terms of engine, rotors, avionics, sight etc. And there you have already the list of things you would need spare parts for.

Kazakhstan don't have T-90s, and having something means what exactly? I'm obviously talking about a country producing components for them.

Last edited:
Azerbaijan has PMU-2 version, radically different from older versions of S-300 used by those countries. In fact, there is absolutely nothing in common. It has more in common with S-400 than those older S-300 models.

Azerbaijan bought the Mi-35M, no other ex-Soviet (apart from Russia of course), ex-Warsaw country has it. There are many differences from the Mi-24 in terms of engine, rotors, avionics, sight etc. And there you have already the list of things you would need spare parts for.

Kazakhstan don't have T-90s, and having something means what exactly? I'm obviously talking about a country producing components for them.
Let's agree to disagree, since that would be a long discussion and would be off-topic. But, to wrap it up, my point was that if Russians stop to give technical assistance and some spare parts, we can somehow achieve the most required stuff in other ex-soviets, and ex-warsaws, at least for now, but, you disagreed with it.

Simple because there is no other country producing components for them, and I already specified why and how.

Simple because there is no other country producing components for them, and I already specified why and how.
Note that I am not telling that we can provide all of spare parts from other ex-soviet countries, but we can provide them for most of our Russian equipments including Migs and T-90 tanks. About PMU-2, there are some non ex-soveits which have it as well, and they can help us. But, I don't know about differences of our Mi-35 helicopters with the Mi-35 helicopters that are sold to other countries and how much we can have non-Russian assistance. After all, if you are implying that we need to diversify our arms supplier countries, I totally agree with you, but I believe that we need to do it in long-term, and also we need to use our arms purchase from Russia as a card in our relations with Russia, and make their position more close to ours.

Back
Top Bottom