What's new

Azerbaijan Defence Programs & Military Development

Well Israel also upgraded Turkish Tanks (M60 Sabra) so regarding Tanks we are at the beginning of technological developement and probably dont have the capacity to upgrade foreign Tanks while working on indigenous one, i dont know.

I dont think Azerbaijan is intentionally choosing foreign products against Turkish counterparts, we are still developing many systems, maybe Azerbaijan will go for Turkish products when the time arrives and our products prove themselves, im actually quite sure Turkish-Azeri cooperation will grow futher, no nee to be pessimistic yet.
Yeah but it proves that there isn't an unconditional love. Aselsans upgrade was tested and so was elbits but elbit was selected. elbit does however have a ton of experience in this field so the decision is understandable but I think what is weird is that azerbaijan is cooperating with israel regarding some naval projects. even though turkey has proven itself in that field.

I agree that in the future relations will get better but I don't know what level they will reach.

Last edited:
@cabatli_53 bro,
Erdogan close to Hamas is close to Iran is close to Armenia.
Turkmenistan bought Turkish boats and is not fond of Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan not close to Iran for obvious reasons.
Israel enemy of Hamas,Iran and Erdogan.
I think it is logical for Azerbaijan to be close to Israel and choose their equipment.
Dont know if you like Erdogan but i blame it all on him.

Yeah but it proves that there isn't an unconditional love. Aselsans upgrade was tested and so was elbits but elbit was selected. elbit does however have a ton of experience in this field so the decision is understandable but I think what is weird is that azerbaijan is cooperating with israel regarding some naval projects. even though turkey has proven itself in that field.

I agree that in the future relations will get better.
Bro they act in accordance to their interests of course there is no unconditional love what did you expect?

When you sell weapons to our enemy (Turkmenistan) how can you expect us to buy weapons from you ?
Only because you have differences about Caspian Sea doesnt mean Turkmenistan is your enemy.

Bro they act in accordance to their interests of course there is no unconditional love what did you expect?

Only because you have differences about Caspian Sea doesnt mean Turkmenistan is your enemy.
I personally don't expect any different.

I personally don't expect any different.
And thats the right thing to do, we are part of NATO since 6 decades and never really had major differences with them (except Cyprus) but we are still struggling in becoming independent in defence sector even though purchasing weapons from allys would be cheaper than investing billions in R&D for products.

There is no guarantee if we will sell enough in numbers to make profit on big things like TFX for exsample, but still we take the risk to not to be dependent on anyone, the same applies to Azerbaijan, its a small country and cant develop everything indigenous, so instead they are going for different suppliers such as Russia, Israel and increasingly Turkey, its understandable that they dont wanna be dependent on one country.

When you sell weapons to our enemy (Turkmenistan) how can you expect us to buy weapons from you ?

It was Dearsan a private shipyard that sold boats to Turkmenistan. In 2012 Officials from Azerbiajan issued objection but Dearsan carried out the neccesity of deal since Turkmenistan can't be an enemy of Azerbaijan despite there are some disagreement over Caspian. It has nothing to do with SSM or any other TSKGV institute or governmental efforts.

You should ask that above question with minor modification to yourself to find How a desperate contradiction you are inside to realize your partial logic against Turkey. With above logic, Ask those questions to yourself:

-Why Azerbaijan orders many weapons from Russia? Why you are supporting trade with them? It isn't same Russia which is definitively supporting/backing your enemy Armenia against you ? In that condition, How can you accuse Turkey ?

Besides, Turkey doesn't have an interest to arm Azerbaijani "enemies" dude. If It was, Armenia will be the first costumer of mentioned systems transfered from opened borders like Russia does. Such poor conditions was same in past and proceeding the same with decreasing numbers at present. Such meetings/partnership offers/collaboration efforts/ambitious over ongoing and matured products didn't commence with Azerbaijan now. It has a long past...

Last edited:
And thats the right thing to do, we are part of NATO since 6 decades and never really had major differences with them (except Cyprus) but we are still struggling in becoming independent in defence sector even though purchasing weapons from allys would be cheaper than investing billions in R&D for products.

There is no guarantee if we will sell enough in numbers to make profit on big things like TFX for exsample, but still we take the risk to not to be dependent on anyone, the same applies to Azerbaijan, its a small country and cant develop everything indigenous, instead they are going for different suppliers such as Russia, Israel and increasingly Turkey, its understandable that they dont wanna be dependent on one country.
Except that Turkey would fully back them in a conflict with armenia. That can't be guaranteed with any other country especially russia. Its in turkeys interest to help out azerbaijan against armenia but russia just wants the status quo. I don't see the logic behind buying weapons from a country that doesn't want you take back your land.

Except that Turkey would fully back them in a conflict with armenia. That can't be guaranteed with any other country especially russia. Its in turkeys interest to help out azerbaijan against armenia but russia just wants the status quo. I don't see the logic behind buying weapons from a country that doesn't want you take back your land.
Yeah i also dont get the logic in choosing Russian products.

Azerbaijan selecting proven crucial foreign systems for short term is understandable since Turkey needs to advance its military industry more, but Azerbaijan should imo slowly pave the way for Turkish(&Azerbaijani JV products) systems and equipment once feasible, even for lower price or free in order to promote an integrated army. This buying from Russia must end sooner or later, Azerbaijan is basically feeding Russia with money while they often give systems for free or lower price to Armenia, which indirectly could mean that Azerbaijan paid for this service. Both Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan should solve its problems asap.This 'Turkics fighting among themselves' gets really old, it only benefits 3rd parties, havent we learned enough yet from history?

It was Dearsan a private shipyard that sold boats to Turkmenistan. In 2012 Officials from Azerbiajan issued objection but Dearsan carried out the neccesity of deal since Turkmenistan can't be an enemy of Azerbaijan despite there are some disagreement over Caspian. It has nothing to do with SSM or any other TSKGV institute or governmental efforts.

You should ask that above question with minor modification to yourself to find How a desperate contradiction you are inside to realize your partial logic against Turkey. With above logic, Ask those questions to yourself:

-Why Azerbaijan orders many weapons from Russia? Why you are supporting trade with them? It isn't same Russia which is definitively supporting/backing your enemy Armenia against you ? In that condition, How can you accuse Turkey ?

Besides, Turkey doesn't have an interest to arm Azerbaijani "enemies" dude. If It was, Armenia will be the first costumer of mentioned systems transfered from opened borders like Russia does. Such poor conditions was same in past and proceeding the same with decreasing numbers at present. Such meetings/partnership offers/collaboration efforts/ambitious over ongoing and matured products didn't commence with Azerbaijan now. It has a long past...

Russia is different , we have no option but to rely on Russia for arms
many decades using soviet systems . we neither can afford to completely replace Russian arms for NATO ones
nor can we buy them partially , as it would create logistical problem

plus I have no idea what you are talking about to begin with
I already said this shipyard is for coast guard , the navy is negotiating with Turkey
over the construction of its own shipyard and over Milgem
and negotiating with Korea over ships Turkey does not currently build

When Turkey sell Weapons to Turkmenistan Turkey not want that they will be used against Azerbaijan ! Turkey have it's own strategic Plan and we will sell Gas and Oil together to Europe, for this Target Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan need to work Together, not against each other ! Azerbaijan as well Turkmenistan Navys must become Capable to Defend Off - Shore Platform and underwater Pipelines !

Turkmen people are very good people and the closest ones to us between ex-soviet countries, but their regime is a puppet of moscow, and they announced their support for Armenia, not a long time ago. I am sure that @asena_great ca explain the reason behind this animosity to you.
---------------------------------------------------------
@rmi5

Any comments?

That's a long discussion bro, but I think @T-123456 and @Azeri440 comments were quite right:
@cabatli_53 bro,
Erdogan close to Hamas is close to Iran is close to Armenia.
Turkmenistan bought Turkish boats and is not fond of Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan not close to Iran for obvious reasons.
Israel enemy of Hamas,Iran and Erdogan.
I think it is logical for Azerbaijan to be close to Israel and choose their equipment.
Dont know if you like Erdogan but i blame it all on him.

The point is that many countries are willing to have more influence in Azerbaijan. Iran, Russia, Israel, and Turkey are the most interested ones.
Iran chose the path of enmity because she is scared to death from empowering Azerbaijan, which would naturally causes Iran to be separated.
Russia's case is very difficult to explain, but I can say that Russians want to keep their influence in all south Caucasus countries which is the neighboring part to their most ethnically troubled lands aka northern Caucasus (Dagestan, and Chechenia, ...), so they will try to keep a balance between these countries, and do their best to avoid these countries to join to Western and US camp. So, they halped Armenia, solely to control empowering Azerbaijan, but on the other hand, they don't want to lose their influence in Azerbaijan either, so, that's why when your helicopter and Altay projects gets close to be finished, they offer us the deals that cannot be refused! I am 100% sure that it would be the case for your TFX project as well, and 3-4 years before you guys can finish that project, Russians would offer us some of their fighters with better quality and low price to us. BTW, I believe that the key to solve the Karabakh issue in the moscow's pocket. So, we need to keep a reasonable relations with moscow.
As long as Israel is concerned, they have showed that they are seeking for a serious alliance with Azerbaijan, and in some degree with Georgia. US also supports Israeli attempts, in the southern borders of Russia. Israel and Azerbaijan have one common enemy(Iran) and both are the most secular countries of the region who have the most troubles with the religious freaks of the region and their economies are a good match for each other. Azerbaijanis weak points are Israelis strong points and vice versa. In addition, we are always one of the first countries for Israelis to offer their tech and equipment to us. BTW, Israeli military technology is one of the bests in the world and is in a constant improvement since they have unlimited cooperations with the USA who has the most advanced weapon technologies in all fields.
About Turkey, as I told you before, she is a land of lions with ultra incapable populist leaders. The Islamism that roams freely in your country in these years, is a very serious problem, if you have not noticed it yet. Unfortunately, this Mahmoud Erdogan-nejad guy has a very lame foreign policy. While he is ignoring Azerbaijanis, Turkmens, and insults their faith, he is actively supporting some religious nutjobs among arabs and palestinians, and is happy in laundering money for sanctioned Iranian regime. Dude, the point is that while some of the most wise world powers are interested to deal with Azerbaijan with very wise strategies, Turkey is having no strategy about her foreign policy. Although Azerbaijan is naturally more interested in having more relations with Turkey for obvious reasons, but Turkey should understand that she cannot screw up every cooperation chance with the lame foreign policies. Turkey should finally decide that what is her strategy for her foreign policy? being a populist sultanate country and support arab terrorists, and became a second version of Iran, or getting back on the track of sanity and have more relations with her true allies, and brethren and cut her ties with stupid arab terrorists, Iran and end this populist Ahmadinejad style policy. That would be your choice that you need to make it quickly and wisely. So far, Erdogan has chosen the first option.
I hope this summary explains the situation for you.
@cabatli_53 You should not be emotional bro. I am sure that Israelis have offered better tech and price.

Azerbaijan selecting proven crucial foreign systems for short term is understandable since Turkey needs to advance its military industry more, but Azerbaijan should imo slowly pave the way for Turkish(&Azerbaijani JV products) systems and equipment once feasible, even for lower price or free in order to promote an integrated army. This buying from Russia must end sooner or later, Azerbaijan is basically feeding Russia with money while they often give systems for free or lower price to Armenia, which indirectly could mean that Azerbaijan paid for this service. Both Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan should solve its problems asap.This 'Turkics fighting among themselves' gets really old, it only benefits 3rd parties, havent we learned enough yet from history?
The problem between Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan has nothing to do with Azerbaijan. The fact is that Turkmenistan is fully dependent on Russia for selling gas and its capital is very close, less than 50 km to Iran's border, and consequently is heavily influenced by Russia and Iran. In addition, Turkmenistan is run like a communist welfare state, and the whole country is heavily dependent on the governments incomes. By even closing gas pipelines for 1-2 weeks, their country would go to a coma. That's how fragile and Russian dependent their country is. I don't believe what Turkmen's leader said about Karabakh issue, is their own genuine words, and it sounded like moscow and Tehran for me. About the caspian sea issue, that's just an excuse for Turkmenistan not to become close to Azerbaijan, since Azerbaijan already suggested a wise fair 50-50% share in the oil-gas fields that are disputed, but Turkmenistan did not accept it, since Moscow told them not to accept the deal. As long as Turkmenistan cannot sell her gas via Azerbaijan, and receive her income in this way, she would remain dependent on Russia, and her bitch, Iran, and Azeri-Turkmen issue would not be resolved.

With all respect, that is ridiculously wrong analysis. I don't know why some of guys wanted you to comment but all what you posted deserve to be only your personal opinion and not more then that.

Back
Top Bottom