What's new

Asia Cup 2008

Afridi tells management, to drop him as he was not performing

Afridi seeks divine help to succeed with bat
KARACHI: Flamboyant Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi has sought the help of a holy man to get out of his batting slump, sources said on Wednesday.

"He told this very religious and holy man that he was finding it difficult to give his best. Shahid told him that whenever he went out to bat all of a sudden he felt pressure and was nervous and got out early," a source said.

He said the holy man had told Afridi not to worry and advised him to relax and pray.

Afridi's frustration came through on Monday night after the game against Sri Lanka when on getting out again quickly he returned to the dressing room and wept.

The source said Afridi was so frustrated and upset with his failure again with the bat that he sat down and shed a few tears with his face covered in a towel.

"He then told the management, they should drop him for the remaining games as he was not performing well," a source said.

Afridi's last One-day fifty came against Zimbabwe earlier this year and since then in his last 13 innings he has not got a half century although he has been bowling steadily well.

The source said there was talk of resting Afridi from today's game against India but the management decided that for such an important match, his experience would count a lot.

"That is why it was decided to play him again and the captain and coach told Afridi that he should forget about the past failures and just concentrate on improving his batting," the source said.

Pakistan are expected to play pacer Abdul Rauf and off spinner Saeed Ajmal in place of Wahab Riaz and Mansoor Amjad against India and there is also talk that Afridi might be asked to open the innings to allow him to chance his hand in the power play periods.
2 Jul, 2008

Pakistan did well in restricting India they should try to win this match to make Asia cup interesting.

Its bit difficult as India has crossed mental barrier of 300 runs.

Holding wickets with respectable average initially is the key.

Of course couple of Indian bowlers will be required to break Tanvir's run rate record.

Please...don't even compare Afridi to Sehwag. Sehwag is in a different class.

Its like comparing F7 with Su-30MKI.

India were being extra aggressive today because it had worked in the previous match.

Nobody is comparing anyone.

Your comparing an all rounder with a opening batsmen!

Also trust me.. depending on the height ceiling even the F-7 will be able to hit the birds out of the skies!

Also you haven't seen a ball to be launched towards moon so you shouldn't be talking. :partay::cheers:

disappointing batting from india. they crossed 300 only coz of the lifeless pitch. we needed atleast 340. anyway, i hope our bowlers do their job. getting a few early wickets is the key.

Man, Salman loves the Indian bowlers he has tremendous record against Indians.

I wont watch because whenever I sit down to watch a match in the recent past , pakistan :frown::what:loses. So when you know the result let me kn0ow and may the best team win.
Araz

I wont watch because whenever I sit down to watch a match in the recent past , pakistan :frown::what:loses. So when you know the result let me kn0ow and may the best team win.
Araz

Pakistan seems to be cruising to a sweet victory at the moment.

Araz

Ha ha.. araz,

You & I have similar problems !! Its been a while since I saw a match live..end up only seeing the replays.

Back
Top Bottom