What's new

Ashura 2015 - Graphic images captured of Islamic ritual of self-flagellation

Read:

Tragedy of Imam Hussain (AS) Grandson of Prophet Muhammad (SAWAS)

On topic: Beating yourself if you harm yourself is haram. But ' Sineh Zani ' and mourning is not haram.

Ashura+1.jpg

Last edited:
Horrible and this is where I have a problem with the shia sect. Yes mourning is fine and every sect mourns the days of ashura but hurting yourself and telling your loves ones and kids and others to hurt themselves signifies jahalat especially when the Quran and the hadith strictly point out that self mutilation and hurting ones self is strictly forbidden.

This is very wrong and truly senseless. Yes mourn alot, cry that he had to fight with only 72 members of his own family, weep that he was abandoned and murdered by the people who shared his faith but wanted power, Learn from the incident and vow to never abandon those that fight for truth and HAQ and always stand by them but how is hurting, bleeding and cutting your own flesh is in any sense honoring his sacrifice.

They should extract courage and strength from his fight rather than tell their children that they need to spill their blood.

And what about Chicken and eggs? people shouldn't consume these either---------------------------Plants are living beings too you know----------How about highlighting violence against them? BTW have you ever heard of Thanksgiving, i bet the violence against turkeys doesn't bother you.

Well I am not against the concept of eating them as its nashukri of Allah not to eat something that has been made available for us-the hadith and Quran all point to it. But come on showing kids the grisly act in the process? We watched this as kids, the bakra with its feet pulled out from under it pinned down with a mans thigh and a razor run across its throat. I don't see how we can condemn the shias for self flagellation while justifying this ritual. I think both are bad, but that seemingly is not the feeling of other posters-Areesh having pain in the bum as usual. Also the bakras should be slaughtered by the relevant people-butchers and the like who vouch for that kind of job.

people here talking abt Quran...? u wont find single hafiz ul Quran in shias? i challenge u all

Dear in my belief, in today's world where Quran is available in printed form. Its far better to read in your mother tounge and try understand its message, which is nothing but love for humanity.
Hate and prejudice has no space in Islam.

Well I am not against the concept of eating them as its nashukri of Allah not to eat something that has been made available for us-the hadith and Quran all point to it. But come on showing kids the grisly act in the process? We watched this as kids, the bakra with its feet pulled out from under it pinned down with a mans thigh and a razor run across its throat. I don't see how we can condemn the shias for self flagellation while justifying this ritual. I think both are bad, but that seemingly is not the feeling of other posters-Areesh having pain in the bum as usual. Also the bakras should be slaughtered by the relevant people-butchers and the like who vouch for that kind of job.

Have you ever seen animal being sacrificed in public in ME? The so called uncivilized Arabs.

i never watched a single Eid Ul Adha sacrifice, and im almost 20

Have you ever seen animal being sacrificed in public in ME? The so called uncivilized Arabs.
Well thats where I am based so yes as a youth I have seen it in Dubai/Sharjah. But the practice now has been banned I believe though people here tend to do it despite the ban. I will have to look into the rules though.

First off let's clear few things:
1. Shia's are human's and not animals, so the analogy doesn't quite fit.
2. Isn't Chicken killed the same way goats are killed/sacrificed?
3. It's upto parents whether they make innocent children watch the sacrifice or not, my parents never compelled me and i never watch myself either.
4. You yourself said that 'we have to consume meat since its part of our food chain'. So look at it this way:Eid ul Azha is the day when all people of the society, especially poor get to eat meat ---------------I fail to see, how anyone would find a wrong in this unless goats and cows are considered sacred.

Why do people do so ? i mean whats the logic behind it ?

Since when did religion care about logic ?

that is an animal which replaced Hazrat Ismael (A.S) a human, it is a gesture to show our Unity with the Prophet Ibrahim (A.S)

That is one twisted logic you got there. I will give you a logic of similar overtone to support this act.

Maybe Allah wanted muslims to empathise with those animals being butchered during eid to understand both end of the spectrum. I mean not just the consequence of the life being taken but the process itself.

First off let's clear few things:
1. Shia's are human's and not animals, so the analogy doesn't quite fit.
2. Isn't Chicken killed the same way goats are killed/sacrificed?
3. It's upto parents whether they make innocent children watch the sacrifice or not, my parents never compelled me and i never watch myself either.
4. You yourself said that 'we have to consume meat since its part of our food chain'. So look at it this way:Eid ul Azha is the day when all people of the society, especially poor get to eat meat ---------------I fail to see, how anyone would find a wrong in this unless goats and cows are considered sacred.
Well I agree with some of your points here. But I personally do not think kids or even adults with faint hearts should watch the process of the sacrifice personally. One good thing we now have is outsourcing-so we get away with telling our relatives in Pakistan to get the qurbani done on our behalf. This is what we do.

The poor get meat-that is something good which is why I am not exactly against the concept. An farm animal is bound to be cut and eaten some day. I don't think the intricate process is something for people to witness though.

Also do note that animals are not allowed to be hunted for sport and animals cut up on eid will go straight to jannah so our religion has a kind of animal rights code too. It doesn't mean slaughter the animal without thinking of the pain-something people who argue they would like to do the qurbani themselves should think about as they are not professionals and don't know how to make the experience as painless for the animal as possible.

Again I reiterate the same thing-kids and faint hearted people should not be made to watch the qurbani.

Well thats where I am based so yes as a youth I have seen it in Dubai/Sharjah. But the practice now has been banned I believe though people here tend to do it despite the ban. I will have to look into the rules though.

When state doesn't provide facility than nothing wrong people taking care of them self but doing it in public is abhorrent, when state has provided dedicated butcher houses, than its wrong breaking law of state.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom