What's new

Arunachal in China? That is not the reality, says PM Manmohan Singh

An interesting analysis, and one I would like to try to respond to.

it's likely that people in dispute area careless which side they will be on; all they care, whether they can have a peaceful live and have a better living.

*why india wants to have a faster border settlement with china

-do it once and forget all bad memory, even it's meant to cede some land in favor to china, so no longer have to worry about war with china

The most important reason, IMO, and one which will allow building a medium-term relationship without the cloud of mistrust which lies between the two countries.

A faster border settlement will be the first step, and not the last. You may have noticed that public opinion in India is bitter about the border clashes and bitter about the damaging effect on the reputation of the Indian military. There is a huge amount that has to be done on both sides to 'normalise' relations.

The assumption, of course, is that it is worthwhile and meaningful to normalise relations. The answer lies in the large Indian market which China is prevented from tapping because of mutual suspicion and tense relations.

-economic development; with tax & duty free by "special economic zone" not just only giving people a better live but also helping they understand each other culture

This point is not clear. Tax and Duty Free Special Economic Zones where? In China or in India?

Frankly, the opinion in India is against these zones, as it has been observed that it is merely a method for curtailment of economic rights and workers' rights.

-china is getting stronger each day and if there is a war with china, "will any country have a gut to come to help? "

Here it is necessary to point out that no country will willingly seek out and pursue a war with China, not after the lessons about Chinese military capability that the Korean War and the Indo-China border conflict have taught the world.

However, no country will simply roll over and die. Every country, howsoever small, will fight to the limits of its popular, political and military will to uphold its own aims and interests. So, too, India. While matching China is preposterous, and an invitation to commit financial suicide, there are many things that can be done and some of these are in fact being done.

Considering that, what is likely to happen is that given international support, or broad assurances of such support, it might be more tempting for a country to think of war with China; without these, it will be very difficult for a country to think of war with China. But it is not impossible, especially if the provocations for war are extreme and grave.

*why not to...

-too many bosses

Sort of. Too many political parties is better, and two political parties determined not to allow the other to do anything worthwhile is the best.

One of the difficulties of a democracy is the influence that different political parties have over political decision-making. Unlike an authoritarian regime, where a single party, often a single small group within a party or a movement, makes the decisions.

In our case, although both important national parties, the Congress and the BJP, realise the urgent need for peace on the China borders, neither is willing to be the party that faces the electorate after making a compromise with China.

-keep hoping things will work out by itself

India is ruled by the politicians and the bureaucrats. This attitude, "keep hoping things will work out by itself", is the daily prayer at night of the bureaucrats.

*why china wants to have border settlement with india

-for now china has no benefit to have border settle with india

Unfortunate, but true.

*why not to..
-focus to give her people to have better living(brought 800 millions out of poverty in 2006?)

:-( Makes sense.

-not just only improve defense on east and south china seas but also able to destroy any attacker's force

I imagine that this is already in place.

What China is working for, to everybody's great discomfort, is to improve her offensive capability.

-does not want to cost pakistan any because of peace deal settlement

It is to be hoped that a better perspective will dawn on China's leadership!

-give india a chance to attack china

Hugely unlikely.

am i missing some thing???:welcome:

Apparently not!

Last edited:
if the border issue continues india will feel insecure and will move to american camp so isn't it against china's interest ?

if the border issue continues india will feel insecure and will move to american camp so isn't it against china's interest ?

The logic ruling these discussions is that America is a declining power, and China is a ruling power.

All the old rules are broken; as you will have seen from the belligerent and defiant answers offered by one poster, international law is seen to be nowhere as important as traditional Chinese custom.

We have been served notice that we had better learn how things are done in China or suffer the consequences.

The logic ruling these discussions is that America is a declining power, and China is a ruling power.

All the old rules are broken; as you will have seen from the belligerent and defiant answers offered by one poster, international law is seen to be nowhere as important as traditional Chinese custom.

We have been served notice that we had better learn how things are done in China or suffer the consequences.

If this is the attitude better suffer the consequences than to give in Joe, i don't like the tone of this whatever we call it message or ultimatum or....

May be our nation will bond together better.

If this is the attitude better suffer the consequences than to give in Joe, i don't like the tone of this whatever we call it message or ultimatum or....

May be our nation will bond together better.

An anon tweet :- Indians become united only when two things happens - when a war breaks out or when Sachin hits a century.

We have respected international law in all negotiations. As far as I know, so has India. The deadlock on the border issue is simply a matter of India insisting on LOC as the permanent border and we not agreeing with that.

We have respected international law in all negotiations. As far as I know, so has India. The deadlock on the border issue is simply a matter of India insisting on LOC as the permanent border and we not agreeing with that.

what exactly is chinese demand ? half of arunachal or what ?

With regard to Indo-Chinese negotiations over the border, both sides have respected international law as far as it applies to this case; it applies very little, since this is a question of how to draw a boundary based on a common understanding of the watershed being the most desirable geographic separator.

While this is the basic understanding and desire of both sides, there have been intervening actions, namely, the signature of a treaty at Simla. As a matter of fact, I wish we would readily accept the Chinese view and revise the treaty ab initio, on the grounds of practicality, since very little loss of ground is involved in surveying and demarcating the true watershed, as opposed to the notional watershed carelessly adopted during the treaty. Even if my individual opinion is not adopted immediately by the Ministry of External Affairs, the blocking point is not that, the blocking point is the new reluctance of the PRC to enter into serious discussions, apparently because of a change in attitude regarding the desirability of resolving this issue.

This is also reflected in the new nomenclature of South Tibet that is being propagated nowadays, which was not there earlier. There is evidence, cited by me already, that Tibetans themselves called residents in these areas barbarians; not a term in use for fellow-Tibetans.

While you are right in saying (in principle) that both sides are observant of international law in the negotiations, the cause for the hold-up is not what you have described. But this does not really matter; my reference was not to these talks/ negotiations.

My reference is to the recent posts by ephone; please take a close look at them. I will respond to them, one at a time, as to that great international statesman and friend of peace-loving people everywhere, Sohni_Dharti, after my next post, so you have the option of looking through ephone's rather unpleasant posts yourself or waiting for my response.

Apologies to Abhishek, or Abhishek_, for this long-delayed reply. Two draft replies got destroyed, largely because the intricacies of sub-continental history would probably fail to register with most participants, including, sadly, many of the sub-continental contributors. However, what is attempted is a series of specific responses against some specific questions and comments, and a generic section which, it is hoped, will tie up loose ends.

Joe, why do you think GOI is hesitating from negotiations. From what you have expressed here, looks like giving up some hard-to-defend land, fortifying the easy to defend areas and resolving the border issue once and for all is a win-win

Could it be that at this point if GOI gives up land, it would look like bowing to Chinese pressure. Maybe the govt. wants to achieve a relative parity with PRC and then negotiate as equals? Although that may take years/decades

Let us start with your speculation. If the government wants to achieve a relative country-to-country parity with PRC, then it is stupid; the most conservative estimates show that until 2050 and beyond, the PRC will outstrip India significantly, in economic and growth terms. It is expected that this economic growth will also show itself in military terms, with greater military expenditure, with greater R&D, and with consequently greater desire to be seen on the world stage as a powerful nation.

The answer lies in the inability of the bureaucracy to suggest unpleasant alternatives, as it has been taught to seek to express the wishes of the politicians in charge, rather than to seek the most effective solution.

The answer also lies in the complete disability of the politicians to unite and come to a consensus with regard to this issue, first, because of the nature of parliamentary democracy, that rarely permits a consensus to be built, second, because of the divided vision of the country that the politicians have. I shall return to this at greater length later.

@ Joe,
You put forth a very clear view of what ails the Great Indian Democracy and I thoroughly agree with you. But you are talking about the domestic political scenario and frankly IMHO, present a view of an era gone by - the infamous 'license raj' - prevalent upto the early 90's. The reason I bring up the economic policies and relate that to the domestic politics is because after opening up our economy, there has been a sea change in the perceptions of the electorate and who they tend to vote for. Remember BJP being unceremoniously kicked out despite their "Shining India" slogan? But that would be out of scope in terms of what we are discussing here.

What we are discussing is the response or policies of our foreign ministry, which fortunately seem to be immune from the tribulations of our domestic politics.

Actually, both are equally fair and logical points at which to start the discussion. As you have articulated a view which, for the purposes of this discussion, discounts the old ways of doing things, the license-raj, for instance, let us by all means start from the following section.

Case in point - the unanimous support to the GoI from all parties during the Kargil conflict and post 26/11, after Pokhran-II or the stapled visa issue for Kashmiris and now Arunachalis. This kind of unanimous coming together, leaving local/domestic policies aside - albeit for a short duration of time, is a cause for celebration. These decisions arrived through consensus - almost always unanimous - are more stronger and lasting than a decision taken by a single party. That was what I was trying to say.

I would love to hear your views about how and why in your opinion the ordeal of our domestic politics would affect formulation of our foreign policies.

First, foreign policy does not depend immediately upon popular opinion. To be reflected in foreign policy, popular opinion has to work its way upwards, into the consciousness of the political classes.

Agreed, this cycle has become shorter and shorter in recent times, with increasing vulgarisation of the media, as they try to reflect popular opinion, or what they want to purvey as public opinion, in as up to date a manner as they think appropriate.

Still, there are brakes. Existing treaties and international laws, for instance, of the sort treated with scant disdain by some of those writing here:

As for "The Qing had no authority to hand over suzerainty; suzerainty ceased with their abdication of power and did not transfer to the successor regime in law"

You see, the problem is not Qing to hand over, the successor simply took over what belonged to former dynasty

I have no idea what kind of law you refer to. We China has followed that for thousand of years.

The legitimacy, in those dynasties, is called heaven-given, in modern time, basically just took over what was Chinese territory from the former ruling dynasty.

I really find that your reasoning is really twisted and laughable. You whole country India took over what British left and we never see India say anything about their ruling power is gone after British left.

He is wrong as usual with regard to history and historical or constitutional matters. India was constituted by British statute, as was Pakistan; these were successor states, not by violent overthrown but by constitutional provision.

And, as it happens, the power of the Government of India and of the Government of Pakistan that was constitutionally transferred was over British India, which was directly administered by the British, and thus transferred. It was specifically mentioned by these laws that the treaties between the British Crown and the princes of India ceased with this transfer of power, and the princes were therefore in principle free and independent, sovereign powers again with their suzerain, the British Crown, removed. It was for that reason that the Crown persuaded them to join with either India or Pakistan; if any prince were to refuse, there was nothing much to be done, except to do what China did when the PRC took over from the Kuomintang regime: annex forcibly those portions that did not yield to suasion. So Pakistan in a Baluch principality and in Kashmir, and India in three principalities.

The system of international law depends on acceptance of the principles that have been evolved over the years by all concerned, and it cannot flourish under this kind of shotgun approach. Nor under this kind of basic lack of knowledge.

Sorry Joe for using you as a bludgeon, but it made it easier to state my view. Hope you don't mind getting the crossfire.

on that note, what did you think of interpretation of what you wrote. The reasons you gave for the borders not having been settle, are also good reasons for India to try and settle them. Please be frank.

As I have tried to explain in my previous comment addressed to gubbi, it has to do with the method and style of functioning of our bureaucracy, their lack of direction from their political masters, and the deep cleavage in politics regarding the concept of the Indian nation that prevails. Please read on.

So much for neutral discussion. The sides are forming again.

I do not understand this remark. Why do you think the sides are forming again? Could you be a little more specific? Has there been a change in attitudes? Have those who always favour their own national point of view drifted from that position? Have those who try to seek objective truth stopped doing that, and started playing to the nationalist gallery? What is the change that you perceive?

In addition, a question: do you think that to support a post when it favours your national point of view, but to stand aloof when the same person posts against your national point of view, constitutes a bi-partisan approaching? Does this behaviour not come under your definition of sides being formed, even before they are formed?

In conclusion, readers may please remember the circumstances under which our country emerged. Other countries have emerged with minorities; they have held together because of a shared sense of belonging to a common culture, or sharing a language, or a religion, or even a tribal affiliation. Switzerland is sui generis, otherwise by and large, this is what we observe. There have been exceptions, especially in Africa, where countries have been created which do not meet any criterion. But we can say that countries which are formed seek to satisfy one or more of these criteria.

So did India. Unfortunately, even during the independence struggle, there were disagreements of a fundamental nature. A religious chauvinist, Savarkar, formulated what he called a Two Nation Theory, stating that persons owing loyalty to a religion with links outside India could not be considered citizens of India. This formulation was taken up by the Muslim League, in its fear of being swamped by a huge majority of those belonging to other religions.

As a result of the inability of the politicians of that time to come to an understanding on the issue of adequate safeguards for the minorities, British India was divided.

The section that became India was initially ruled by a party whose conception and visualisation of India was a One Nation. This concept considered that all residents of India were Indians, irrespective of any identifying factors such as religion, ethnicity, language, culture, any factor whatsoever. Its main opposition over the years was a party with some beliefs similar to Savarkar's.

Effectively both behave the same way.

The Congress, of the One Nation theory, are already accused of giving away huge sections of the country during partition, and of having betrayed their own basic vision of the country.

The BJP and Sangh Parivar, in pushing the Congress against the wall, have painted themselves into a corner, and are forced to shout all the more loudly against separating any part of the country, just to remind voters that the Congress had broken the country, just to tell everyone that they, on the other hand, will never break the country.

When an irresistible force meets an immovable object...............................

Last edited:
so the power equations are going to decide how much china demand and how long it takes to solve.

i guess in near future pakistan will totally shift to chinese camp india partially to the american camp.
and even if by 2050 china comes at top it won't have major allies(unless russia joins ) on the other hand us has many.

^Joe, you realize there are now certain people who randomly wake up at 4.30am to check if Joe Shearer has replied to their question? :haha:

LOL

A sobering thought. You do realise that I wrote that answer with an anxious eye cocked over my shoulder because I saw you were reading the thread?

Was it worth the wait?

so the power equations are going to decide how much china demand and how long it takes to solve.

i guess in near future pakistan will totally shift to chinese camp india partially to the american camp.
and even if by 2050 china comes at top it won't have major allies(unless russia joins ) on the other hand us has many.

More or less.

However, Pakistan has totally shifted to the Chinese camp from after the stepping down of General Musharraf from his position as President. From that point onwards, with the transfer of power from him to the present COAS, Pakistan completely abandoned any alignment with America except to pay it lip service and allow the Americans to understand slowly that they had been abandoned. An abrupt breaking off of ties might have had military repercussions, so this was the preferred route, to taper off slowly. You will notice that each and every Pakistani action since Musharraf's stepping down has been consistent with a strong alliance with China and a gradual deliberate tapering off from America.

The only Pakistani interest remaining in America is to procure arms and ammunition for 'detailed engineering study' in all weathers.

Last edited:
Theoretically it is all of it; it's classified as South Tibet.

Realistically, I don't know.

You are wrong my friend. China's South Tibbet claim is only limited to about 20% of Arunacha (west Arunachal) which includes Tawang district and its surrounding. These areas and mainly consists of the area where Monpa peoples are residing who are primarily Buddhists. Rest of the Arunachal is full of other ethinicity and religious beliefs and are never related to Tibet.

Back
Top Bottom