What's new

Arunachal in China? That is not the reality, says PM Manmohan Singh

But these empires are like the Greek rule of Egypt or Turkic dynasties of Iran. They were occupying the land, just because they adopted to culture of the region makes them any less foreigners? Even the children of these ethnic groups are still there to this day and call themselves Iranians, Egyptians, Indians, etc, etc, etc. They are far to out numbered and get absorbed.. Which will happen with the Machurians and Mongols in China.

The problem with the Greek and Turkic analogy, is that they still exist as nation-states today, and still have a very strong identity.

On the other hand, Manchurians today are Chinese. As other members have said, they are not considered to be foreigners.

But one last thing... Put it like this, if Japanese empire have ruled China for 300 years(like the Manchus) and the Japanese are numbering only 3 million 300 years later and are being absorbed into the large Chinese blob(like the Manchurians today) and the Hans have risen to power and dominance would you consider that empire Chinese? Its the same thing with Yuan and Qing empire.

Why not? If their nation-state no longer exists, and they have been completely assimilated, then sure.

The problem with the Greek and Turkic analogy, is that they still exist as nation-states today, and still have a very strong identity.

On the other hand, Manchurians today are Chinese. As other members have said, they are not considered to be foreigners.

The once that stayed in India how ever, dont know they even have Greek, Turkic, etc ancestory. They call themselves "Indian".. Understand?

Why not? If their nation-state no longer exists, and they have been completely assimilated, then sure.

Far enough.

@gubbi

I would like to explore your answer at length. In spite of some sensed reservations, nobody has actually responded direct to me or to my arguments until this response of yours.

The 'sensed' reservations are implicit, inherent in either the complete refusal to engage with my arguments when CardSharp (most prominently) has used me to hoist his Indian opponents, or in outbursts more or less implying that whether or not what I say was realistic, reality itself would be changed by India becoming economically, hence militarily stronger than China.

With that in mind, and with some huge relief that someone, somewhere has turned around and said, out front, that I am wrong, I would like to respond piecemeal, later, in a consolidated form.

One last point: while being aware of your subsequent replies, I am deliberately leaving them out of consideration in this response; it is difficult enough to follow a chain of thought backwards; following two, backw ards and forwards, might strain our capabilities to the utmost.

First and the foremost, I clearly disagree with Joe's pov. To say that somehow a divided nature of a democratic polity is a disadvantage is not understanding the vibrant nature of democracy. Let me put it this way: In a democracy such as that of India, everyone gets a piece of the pie, but NOT the piece they desire or want. Everyone walks away with some goodies, with a little disgruntlement but also with a knowledge that they atleast got what each of the others got. Everyones happy that not ONE got what they wanted! Game theory? The results are that whatever decision is being taken is a lasting one with unanimous support as against a decision being forced upon a people. Add to that fact that people walking away with their pieces of the pie are free to voice their displeasure about NOT getting what they want!

I agree heartily with what has been presented so far.

That being said, you quoting Joe's views here clearly underestimate the inherent strength of democracy. People understand that if one group loses their piece of the pie, their own group may be next. And they will not let that happen. Reams have been written about the discontent in a democratic society, but none offers a better alternative where almost all the groups walk out feeling a bit disgruntled but also happy.

If you had looked carefully, you might have found a sub-text, barely perceptible, but present nevertheless.

It is not merely democracy that was in discussion, but the specific democracy that is India. While I am in complete agreement with the outline that you have presented, it is a matter for some concern that things don't work that way yet.

It is my case that both sides have to be rational for a democracy to work. Unfortunately, in our democracy, there has been some distortion at root due to the introduction of religion into the body politic in the early part of the 20th century, almost exactly a century ago. I mention the introduction of the Two Nation Theory by Vinayak Savarkar, the espousal of the Khilafat movement by Gandhi and the endorsement and adoption of the Two Nation Theory by various Muslim intellectuals, thought leaders and heads of political factions till it was crowned by its adoption by the AIML. With this in the background, in our genes, as it were, there was no chance that a European secularism, a 'Westphalian' secularism, should strike roots. The subversion of democracy happened in Pakistan disastrously early, with the rapid abandoning of Jinnah's ideals, the Objectives Resolution, the declaration of the country as an Islamic Republic and the introduction of Sharia as law.

In India, too, events of a disquieting nature were to follow, with delayed but nevertheless with punishing effect, with the declaration of the Emergency, with the reversal of the Shah Bano case, and with the subversion of the oath of office and the machinery of state by the state chief minister who had sworn to the prime minister that nothing untoward would happen in December 1992.

Today, if you consider the situation not in terms of a relative comparison between a relatively democratic India and an authoritarian China, but in terms of the state of democracy within India herself, a disquieting picture emerges.

I doubt that a fractured political system, where neither major national party, nor its supporters in the political hinterland, will agree on any controversial topic, and will in their disagreement go to the extent of shutting down the democratic process itself, will yield a consensus.

Now if you or anyone for that matter thinks that this political divide will result in a non-decision, you are throughly mistaken. On the contrary, a late decision will be reached but with all the parties on board and there will be no turning back. Therein lies the strength of a democracy.

Babus in South Block arent naive, as they used to be, not to understand the Chinese govt's pov. Before any decision is taken, every contingency will be looked into. lack of short-term response can be attributed to deliberations but to assume that it will lead to confusion over long term planning is being just naive.

Our foreign servants will take sometime to come up with a solid long term plan for India's foreign policy given the changing scenario which India finds itself in with each passing year. Only a decade back, who would have thunk US would be offering cutting edge technology to India?

i find it difficult to share your sunny optimism.

If you were right, our defence procurement would not be in the shambles that it is in today, our tops cops should not have been wearing bullet proof vests that took a single bullet to pierce, our CEO of the broadcasting corporation should not be under suspension for taking contractors' tendered prices, increasing it ten times and then swearing it was in the normal way of administration, our chief commissioners of income tax individually would not be plush and prosperous, our chief secrfetaries in UP should not have been voted the most corrupt officer of her service by her own service association, and then continued to hold office for years more, our individual babus would not need the raiding parties from the income tax to carry note counting machines - how much more do you have a stomach for?

I would be happy to discuss why I am fearful, and my views on the negotiations that might ensue, if you are interested.

Last edited:
Sorry Joe for using you as a bludgeon, but it made it easier to state my view. Hope you don't mind getting the crossfire.

on that note, what did you think of interpretation of what you wrote. The reasons you gave for the borders not having been settle, are also good reasons for India to try and settle them. Please be frank.

It still is. NAM does play a role in India's foreign policy, end of cold-war not withstanding.
Link:

Also I find this assertion hard to believe. NAM is still a factor in Indian politics? Really?

Maybe you can settle my mind one way or the other.

@ Joe,
You put forth a very clear view of what ails the Great Indian Democracy and I thoroughly agree with you. But you are talking about the domestic political scenario and frankly IMHO, present a view of an era gone by - the infamous 'license raj' - prevalent upto the early 90's. The reason I bring up the economic policies and relate that to the domestic politics is because after opening up our economy, there has been a sea change in the perceptions of the electorate and who they tend to vote for. Remember BJP being unceremoniously kicked out despite their "Shining India" slogan? But that would be out of scope in terms of what we are discussing here.

What we are discussing is the response or policies of our foreign ministry, which fortunately seem to be immune from the tribulations of our domestic politics. Case in point - the unanimous support to the GoI from all parties during the Kargil conflict and post 26/11, after Pokhran-II or the stapled visa issue for Kashmiris and now Arunachalis. This kind of unanimous coming together, leaving local/domestic policies aside - albeit for a short duration of time, is a cause for celebration. These decisions arrived through consensus - almost always unanimous - are more stronger and lasting than a decision taken by a single party. That was what I was trying to say.

I would love to hear your views about how and why in your opinion the ordeal of our domestic politics would affect formulation of our foreign policies.

Also I find this assertion hard to believe. NAM is still a factor in Indian politics? Really?

Maybe you can settle my mind one way or the other.

IMHO, NAM is still a relevant factor in Indian Foreign policies. The way I see it is, India wants to retain that neutral stance and not wanting to join any power block. The reason what comes to my mind, in the present scenario, is with India's growing military and economic power and increasing clout on the world stage coupled with aspirations for a permanent UNSC seat and its chances increasing by the day, India does not want to lose the support it has been enjoying for its neutral stance.

This is an astonishing post, in that it is inaccurate and unhistorical.

"None of these tribes are ethnically Tibetan, or even close, with the possible exception of the Monpas. In the case of the Monpas, it is the consensus of scholars, mainly the British, that they are closely allied to the eastern Bhutanese and any influence of Tibetan culture is due to the dominance of the Tawang monastery and its former feudal grip over this tribe."

China claim over South Tibet (which you called AP) is through its claim over Tibet (which we call now Tibet Autonomous region), which is undisputed over the world including India government.

Historically, China claim over Tibet is through its historical control of this area throughout different dynasties, Yuan Dynasty (ethnically Mongolian, now Mongolian minority in China) as well as Qing Dynasty (ethnically Manchurian, now Manchurian minority in China)) over Tibet for at least five hundred years.

You omit conveniently to mention that China and Tibet were equally provinces under the Yuan Dynasty, that the Yuan were the immediate descendants of Genghis Khan, and owned lands as far west as Persia and the Russian steppes proximate to Moscow, as well as China, Mongolia itself and Tibet, and that therefore any Chinese claim to Tibet based on the Yuan Dynasty is equivalent to one province of an empire claiming supremacy over an adjoining province of the same empire only due to the circumstance of both having been conquered together. This is bizarre. Should we then inform the world that we own Kenya, as the British had conquered us, and the British had also incidentally conquered Kenya? Or to convey an idea of proximity, Burma? Or Ceylon? Malaysia perhaps? Why not Singapore? My wife has always fancied Singapore; she may like to live there as a citizen.

Secondly, in this decidedly self-serving account, you have not informed us what the duration of the Yuan dynasty was. I presume this was not accidental, nor was the omission a stylistic one, intended to make the note more concise and read better.

Thirdly, you have omitted mention of the huge gap between the Yuan and the Qing, and any mention of the complete independence of the Tibetans in those days, an independence poignantly underlined by their kinship to the ethnic tribes in at least three, possibly four provinces of China proper which were majority Tibetan then, majority Han now.

Fourthly, you have omitted to mention that the nature of Qing overlordship was through the posting of a Commissioner in Lhasa, with a small detachment of troops sufficient for his personal security. You have omitted to mention that the nature of this overlordship was defined in international law by an Anglo-Russian treaty which clearly stipulated the suzerainty, not sovereignty, of China over Tibet; that further stipulated that neither power should deal with Tibet without the presence of a Chinese representative; that in international law, China's claims are limited to suzerainty, and that the incursion of troops and the overthrow of the sovereign administration after the completion of the Chinese revolution constituted a breach of international law and a breach of their legal position on Tibet.

Finally, you have omitted to mention that a suzerainty can lie with one power, which, when overthrown, replaced, or surrendered, has no residuary power to confer that suzerainty on its successor, and that therefore Chinese overlordship over Tibet legally ceased with the 1911 Revolution.

As what was even described in the quoted sentence from the first page, "Tawang monastery and its former feudal grip over this tribe" The South Tibet area is under control of Dalai Lama, who was the supreme ruler of Tibet including South Tibet.

A full and clear account of the Arunachal Pradesh has already been written out by me, and it is unfortunate that you have chosen to distort it and passages from it.

Only a small tract around and about the Tawang Monastery, the Monpa tribe alone, was under any kind of feudal grip of the Monastery, and this grip had no ethnic or cultural base.

All the other tribes of the province had nothing to do with this Monastery, and they had even lesser ethnic links with the Himalayan communities than the Monpa. The Monpa, as already mentioned clearly, were akin to the Bhutanese, who are in no way to be thought of as Tibetan.

The Dalai Lama had control only over Tawang, no other monastery, in administrative terms. The Dalai Lama had NO control over the rest of the province, far from being supreme ruler, although naturally his great reputation and scholarliness in certain individual cases led to his veneration of people throughout the Himalayan Buddhist tracts, not Arunachal Pradesh alone.

Each Dalai Lama has control over that area, not India. BTW, there is no India yet until British created it.

Completely untrue.

As you are so lamentably lacking in any information about this area, please be informed that India's longest lasting dynasty, the Ahom, were rulers in the Brahmaputra, and successful in resisting the Mughal Empire, and were undisputed rulers of these hill tracts as well, enjoying full sovereignty, it may be added, not suzerainty or overlordship or any other intermediate measure of administrative control. There is no recorded Tibetan challenge of the powers of this fierce, martial dynasty, throughout its 600 years of rule.

If you bother to consult the public records, freely available, you will find that British control of these hill tracts followed British conquest of Assam and the Ahoms.

Later Qing Dynasty, China was invaded by many foreign powers including the British. The central government has lost tight control over so many areas including Tibet, Hong Kong and etc. even though there were still officials in those regions. Dalai Lama then secretly broke deals with British, trying to get independent, allowing British to draw the McMahon Line and etc, which were never recognized by China Central Governments: Qing Dynasty, early China Republic, then KMT era's Republic of China (now in Taiwan), then CCP era of PRC. That is also why PRC claimed Tibet and now there is not much the whole world can dispute about.

This is grossly inaccurate again, as Tibet was never under the 'tight control' alleged. There was never any breakage or interruption of the procedure of placing Ambans in Lhasa. The situation in Tibet cannot be compared in any respect to the situation in Hong Kong.

However, the status of the Amban in Lhasa was wholly illegal after the December 1911 revolution, due to reasons already mentioned. The Qing had no authority to hand over suzerainty; suzerainty ceased with their abdication of power and did not transfer to the successor regime in law.

This, in fact, is precisely the reason why Britain offered all the princely states in south Asia the option of joining either dominion, as the states would become fully independent again after the departure of the British. Similarly, for the same legal reason, Tibet under the Dalai Lama became fully independent once the Qing ceased to enjoy the Mandate of Heaven.

Legally, today China enjoys full and undiluted administrative authority over Tibet, full sovereignty over Tibet, because of world-wide recognition that Tibet's sovereignty was extinguished by China's military conquest of Tibet.

This is what can be acknowledged by all external countries, including India.

It is depressing to encounter for the first time this kind of rampant propaganda and wilful distortion of history.

Of course, the only reason Tibet remains an issue with the West is the supposed "Human Right" issue related to those ethical Tibetans, not China's territorial claim over Tibet.

So when India members say India has historical claim over South Tibet (AP) and it has always been an integral part of India, I am curious where the historical claim comes from???

I hope that this detailed account will fully satisfy your curiousity.

The current Dalai Lama residing in India, so desperately depending on India to give him a place to stay, can even "sell" the birth place of Dalai Lama to India, which is astonishing. However, if the former Dalai Lama could come back to life again, he will definitely be very angry with this current worthless 14th Dalai Lama.

Being agnostic myself, I deprecate this barbaric and superstitious nonsense.

However, he can "sell" whatever he wants to sell. China does not recognize that since South Tibet is not his to sell. Each Dalai Lama could be the supreme leader of Tibet but all have to be recognized and censured by central government, no matter it is Yuan Dynasty, Qing Dynasty, or Republic of China or PRC. Historically, there are more than one Dalai Lama who had violations were removed from the position and later replaced by another one by the Central Government (during Qing Dynasty).

This is precisely correct, at last, in two different details, which possibly have not been realised by the commenter.

First, south Tibet was not the Dalai Lama's to sell, as it was never under his control.

Second, it is precisely the case that Chinese suzerainty over Tibet until 1911 depended on their claimed overlordship over the Dalai Lama and his acknowledgement of this claim. This is a personal bond of fealty between a crown authority, in this case, the Qing dynasty, and a subordinate, who is a designated subordinate.

In a personal feudal relationship, both the feudal lord and the vassal must exist; the bond cannot exist in a vacuum, it cannot be exercised through a legal fiction, only through an actual person on another actual person (that is to say, their offices, not the individual human being. If either were to disappear or be replaced or be substituted, the bond ceases to be.

Therefore the position is that China, through the Qing Dynasty, had a right to direct the affairs, without ruling directly herself, of Tibet, through the Dalai Lama.

In 1911, the Qing vanished. The result was a vacuum. My understanding is that in this case, the relationship ceased to be.

In 1954, the relationship was revived by force of arms. The position changed again. It is now a direct rule of Tibet by China and the Dalai Lama plays no role.

It is now a situation where an Ahom territory, conquered by the British and administered by them for decades, is disputed by a country which absorbed another country, whose departed and extinct ruler and administration had no right in the first place to administer this province.

During 1962 border conflict, China army took over South Tibet Already after India's total defeat. However, Chinaman Mao valued India as important member of Third World Countries and non-alliance members. He decided to withdrew to the control line before the conflicts and intended to set up the area as demilitarization zone preventing further conflicts.

I have not encountered this claim ever before.

Of course, defeated India rushed back again to take it over again there making the goal of demilitarization zone gone. Later, China is in the mess of Culture Revolution and even the army is under the attack by the red guards. Further resolution against South Tibet is never officially on the table. During the late 70s, China has its open and reform and is busy with economics development until now.

Sooner or later South Tibet will be back on the table officially and put on the forefront of the central government. I hope there will not be a bloody war again there. However, God forbid if there has to be any, I never doubt China will win it in a landslide way. Of course, India members can accuse me that I am dreaming or India will always kick our butt or whatsoever. It is OK. We do not want it to happen anyway, right?

If there will be another border conflict (war) again, it will definitely conventional. India will have no gut to use nuclear weapon in this case. BTW, even India wants to use it, will it be in China advantage anyway?

The majority of western China are not economical important, while it is just on the contrary on the India side. We already have conventional weapons that can shoot over several hundreds of miles, which are even missiles.

In addition, we do not need even to have a border conflict, we just need have more control of the flow of the river through Tibet. That is already a lot leverage over India already.

Furthermore, do not say nobody is doing river flow control. US is doing it over Mexico. India is doing it over Pakistan and Bangladesh. So if China is control its river flow into India, I do not see why it is impossible.

So war is the last resort and nobody wants it if there is any way out.

I agree with some of the thinking of this note. Not all of it.

First, in the case of the unthinkable - nuclear war. I am personally opposed to nuclear weapons, and oppose India's possession of nuclear weapons. But the decision to use these will be taken by people who do not necessarily share my views, and what follows is expressly a reconstruction of their thinking. What follows is contrary to my views and beliefs, and is presented for its information content.

Please consider that it is not necessary to explode multiple nuclear devices to cause irreparable harm to any given adversary in the globe today - only less than a dozen. Please also consider that India is unfortunately gearing up for nuclear warfare, subject to a no-first-use clause in its doctrine, with provision for land-based, air-based or sea-based missile launch, with either ballistic or cruise missiles. The eastern seaboard of China is already vulnerable to nuclear devastation.

Second, river control of the Brahmaputra, the only river that will be affected by manipulation of the river flow within Tibet, is the most stupid idea I have heard. I invite advocates of this idea to trace the path of this river, and see who will be worst affected by this. So, too, in case it is envisaged, control of flow on the Indus.

I wish people would think through what they write before they write. Never before beginning to contribute to Internet media have I realised the great weight and valuable truth of the Sanskrit tag,"Satam Vado, Ma Likho." Indeed.

^^^

Lets just move on then. Btw many foreign empire have adopted local cultures, religions, languages, China isn't the only example.

But one last thing... Put it like this, if Japanese empire have ruled China for 300 years(like the Manchus) and the Japanese are numbering only 3 million 300 years later and are being absorbed into the large Chinese blob(like the Manchurians today) and the Hans have risen to power and dominance would you consider that empire Chinese? Its the same thing with Yuan and Qing empire.

The recent posts have already been off main points.

The main point is that China has its continuous claim over Tibet thus South Tibet for over 500 years at least since Yuan Dynasty up to today.

India simply used a cooked accord signed up by imperialist british with dalai lama, which was never recognized by any of China central governments, as its base to grab (steal) south tibet.

Even today, the british has fully discarded such policy.

Simla Accord (1914) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You kept challenging me about those Yuan and Qing are not Chinese while I have fully answered your questions.

Another regrettable post.

It is OK that India members say that India has de facto control of South Tibet (AP) for now.

India has de jure control of Arunachal Pradesh. As you would be aware, this was never part of the Tibetan administration, and there was no claim on it until somebody got imaginative with maps.

However, please do not tell us that South Tibet (AP) has always been part of India and historically part of India. It is just like British tell China that Hong Kong has always been part of Britain and those Chinese treasures in its British Museum are always part of Britain or all legally acquired.

As stated earlier, the correct historical and legal position has been set out in great detail. What is in dispute is the exact delineation of the border, not the administration over the province.

If you have anything substantial and informative to add, all will be glad to read it. It is unfortunate to read these self-publicising pieces of propaganda with no serious content or value.

China is doing thing step by step. Sooner or later, we will also join other countries to ask those treasures returned home from British, French, US and other museums all over the world who looted from China when China was the weakest.

It seems that Peru, Egypt, even India and etc have already done that.

The issues of cultural rape and territorial aggression are far separated and it is not clear what purpose is served by raising questions about museum contents, other than to muddy the waters.

This is an astonishing post, in that it is inaccurate and unhistorical.

"You omit conveniently to mention that China and Tibet were equally provinces under the Yuan Dynasty, that the Yuan were the immediate descendants of Genghis Khan, and owned lands as far west as Persia and the Russian steppes proximate to Moscow, as well as China, Mongolia itself and Tibet, and that therefore any Chinese claim to Tibet based on the Yuan Dynasty is equivalent to one province of an empire claiming supremacy over an adjoining province of the same empire only due to the circumstance of both having been conquered together. This is bizarre. Should we then inform the world that we own Kenya, as the British had conquered us, and the British had also incidentally conquered Kenya? Or to convey an idea of proximity, Burma? Or Ceylon? Malaysia perhaps? Why not Singapore? My wife has always fancied Singapore; she may like to live there as a citizen."

That shows your ignorance.

When Kublai Khan took over, the empire has already been divided into three independent parts. Kublai Khan decided to took over China as the next dynasty in China. His dynasty is called Yuan. Tibet is not an equal province since Kublai has already set up quite a few provinces then in China. So your words do not make any sense.

They are not even conquered together. I have no idea where you have learned your history. Mongolian entered into Tibet is through Dalai Lama's fore father who was not even called Dalai Lama. That monk was teaching buddhism to the emperor of Yuan (who is not even Kublai but his descendant) and emperor was quite impressed.

So the emperor gave this title Dalai Lama to this monk. While Dalai Lama initially is just religious leader but has no civil power in Tibet.

Tibet indeed has a king. So emperor sent army to drive out the king in Tibet and set up Dalai Lama as both religious and civil leader in Tibet.

Here you go, Dalai Lama got those power and Yuan has its control. However, since emperor of Yuan is quite impressed with Dalai Lama, he pretty much gave Dalai Lama almost total freedom to run Tibet. So When Qing Dynasty took over, the control was much tighter compared to Yuan era.

You should read my post a little careful. I say it is in China advantage, not in China's benefit. Nuke is already used, who the heck has benefit???

I mean China has a superior advantage in this type of weaponry and geographically, it is also in China advantage if it is used.

The main point of my post (the longer one) is that both sides claim over South Tibet (AP) and both sides tries to show why they have. I show mine and need see your evidence. Please do not use British one. Do you remember when India got its independence, you abolished all the unequal treaties and said those British ones were not legal???

I am beginning to believe, as I advance through this thread, that it is your style to distort and misinterpret information. There was never any occasion when India abolished treaties that had been entered into by British India. There was not a single British treaty which was rejected by independent India as illegal, even when they were against our interests.

Furthermore, China will not the one who raise the scale of war. So if you have not targeted our cities yet, we will not do so. We will make it at most a border conflict at first.

In addition, my main point of my post (longer one) is not how to start a war or we should start a war. That is totally off my point.

When each side has a claim over one territory and say it has historical claim. How about both sides show it?

Just like Diaoyu Island, Japan says it has historical claim which it claims it was found by a Japanese around 1894, coincidently, around the same time their navy attacked our navy and took over Taiwan as well.

Our historical records show that we are hundreds of years earlier than that by Ming and Qing dynasty's records.

One of such records is on auction last year and the Japanese even wanted to buy it from the seller. I bet it wants to buy it and destroy it. :)

When Kublai Khan took over, the empire has already been divided into three independent parts. Kublai Khan decided to took over China as the next dynasty in China. His dynasty is called Yuan. Tibet is not an equal province since Kublai has already set up quite a few provinces then in China. So your words do not make any sense.

Is this how equality being measured in China?

Back
Top Bottom