What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

@Armstrong @WebMaster @jandk

Can you recommend some quick recipes that are easy to make but which are still tasty.They don't necessarily have to be vegetarian dishes. I normally eat a lot of meat and seafood so it would even be positive if the dishes contained some kind of meat or seafood.

I live in a fairly big city (Copenhagen) close to the city center so there is no problem with buying South Asian ingredients and spices. I even have a Pakistani living in the same flat that I live.

I am not necessarily talking about main dishes but something along the lines of the Arab Meze or just snacks in general. Also what type of breakfast do you mainly eat? Is it also just bread and mostly dairy products and vegetables with either tea or coffee?

I don't know how to cook; how can I recommend anything ? :ashamed:

Ask @Akheilos ! :)

I don't know how to cook; how can I recommend anything ? :ashamed:

Ask @Akheilos ! :)

But how does a typical Pakistani (Lahori) breakfast look like? Or what do you eat of traditional local food between main dishes? I mean something light. Not main dishes. Something along the Arab Meze that I showed you guys.

I am not just talking about sweets. LOL Arab sweets is a field study in itself.:lol: No wonder that quite a few are big aside from being tall in general. Embarrassing. Kuwait and some areas of KSA in particular.:lol:

Well, of course I have studied this by reading about Pakistani and Indian cuisine (not sure how accurate it is though) but I want inside information and I hope that you can provide it for me otherwise I am going to have to ask silly questions at Pakistani shops here in Denmark.

But how does a typical Pakistani (Lahori) breakfast look like? Or what do you eat of traditional local food between main dishes? I mean something light. Not main dishes. Something along the Arab Meze that I showed you guys.

I am not just talking about sweets. LOL Arab sweets is a field study in itself.:lol: No wonder that quite a few are big aside from being tall in general. Embarrassing. Kuwait and some areas of KSA in particular.:lol:

Well, of course I have studied this by reading about Pakistani and Indian cuisine (not sure how accurate it is though) but I want inside information and I hope that you can provide it for me otherwise I am going to have to ask silly questions at Pakistani shops here in Denmark.

Dude there is no such thing as a Pakistani Cuisine (I don't speak for India so I can't comment on Indian Cuisine); if you are here in Lahore you may be treated with everything from Halwa Purri, Nihari, or Naan Chaneiii with a glass of Lassi to some Pakistani rendition of a Continental breakfast dish.

If you are sitting in Peshawar on the other hand you could be treated with a bowl of cream with a freshly baked Paratha or Naan & freshly made Chai (Tea) !

So its different !

So far as sweets are concerned - We've got dozens upon dozens of sweet-dishes that we eat !

Dude there is no such thing as a Pakistani Cuisine (I don't speak for India so I can't comment on Indian Cuisine); if you are here in Lahore you may be treated with everything from Halwa Purri, Nihari, or Naan Chaneiii with a glass of Lassi to some Pakistani rendition of a Continental breakfast dish.

If you are sitting in Peshawar on the other hand you could be treated with a bowl of cream with a freshly baked Paratha or Naan & freshly made Chai (Tea) !

So its different !

So far as sweets are concerned - We've got dozens upon dozens of sweet-dishes that we eat !

Wait a second? Do you not recognize something called "Pakistani cuisine"? I mean every main cuisine has great regional differences but they share an overall familiarity with each other. For instance is the Arab cuisine similar in every Arab country let alone every region of Arab country x or y? Of course not since we are talking about over 20 countries on two different continents located from the Atlantic in the West to the Arabian Sea in the West to Syria in the North and to Comoros in the Southern Hemisphere (Indian Ocean) or Sudan in the South (mainland).

But there must still be dishes that are eaten commonly across most of Pakistani for instance during breakfast. Like the Arab Meze is eaten in most Arab countries or something similar just going under different names.

I mean what is your typical breakfast or that of your relatives/friends etc.?
I am unfamiliar with those names. Is there any Pakistani user on PDF who is familiar with Pakistani cuisine and which can help me out here?

How accurate is this for instance?

Pakistani Breakfast recipes | KhanaPakana.com

Pakistani cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So its different !

Pakistanis are dramebaaz. What's the difference between lahori food and amritsari food? in Amritsar, you may be served kulcha, parantha, lassi, puri cholay. Same will be the case in Lahore. In my city (Jammu) we have some differences. We have some peculiar regional dishes which outsiders are not familiar with. Some famous dishes in Jammu:

In sweets we have Patisa from Kud
ins02_large.jpg

Kaladi which is kind of cheesy type bread - very tasty (famous one is from a place named Samroli)
Gyevchot-with-sweet-tea.jpg

Ambal (kind of has the same function as pickles- it is sour)

DSC_1980+-+Copy+(2).JPG

Rajma (kidney beans) from Bhadarwah - best kidney beans come from Jammu

rajma3.jpg[img]

Desi chai (called in Jammu) - pink and salty tea

pink_chai.jpg

@jandk

Can you please post some quick and easy-to-make Indian recipes for breakfast or as snack?

Both South and North Indian if you can.

Also did the dish I talked about earlier, containing some kind of bean curry, coconut and chillies say something to you? It's a vegetarian dish native to Southern India I believe.

Help needed.

Wait a second? Do you not recognize something called "Pakistani cuisine"? I mean every main cuisine has great regional differences but they share an overall familiarity with each other. For instance is the Arab cuisine similar in every Arab country let alone every region of Arab country x or y? Of course not since we are talking about over 20 countries on two different continents located from the Atlantic in the West to the Arabian Sea in the West to Syria in the North and to Comoros in the Southern Hemisphere (Indian Ocean) or Sudan in the South (mainland).

But there must still be dishes that are eaten commonly across most of Pakistani for instance during breakfast. Like the Arab Meze is eaten in most Arab countries or something similar just going under different names.

I mean what is your typical breakfast or that of your relatives/friends etc.?
I am unfamiliar with those names. Is there any Pakistani user on PDF who is familiar with Pakistani cuisine and which can help me out here?

How accurate is this for instance?

Pakistani Breakfast recipes | KhanaPakana.com

Pakistani cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No we don't recognize any Pakistani Cuisine because there isn't any !

For example when we barbeque a Lamb we marinate it with all the many spices that we can think of & garnish it was everything from thyme to lemons but when someone from the Western parts of Pakistan does that they don't use anything but the Lamb's own fat & only Pepper & Salt to make one of the best Lambs one would eat in the World - I kid you not ! :)

Similarly in the South-West or even the South you've got the Sajii which is cooked in a completely different manner !

@jandk

Can you please post some quick and easy-to-make Indian recipes for breakfast or as snack?

Both South and North Indian if you can.

Also did the dish I talked about earlier, containing some kind of bean curry, coconut and chillies. It's a vegetarian dish native to Southern India I believe.

Help needed.

Try Amritsari Kulcha Amritsari Aloo Kulcha recipe | Stuffed Kulcha

I don't know if it is fast though but it's really tasty...... Also try this site Indian Cuisine - Indian Food - Step-by-step Indian Cooking and Recipes
It has several recipes on various Indian dishes.

No we don't recognize any Pakistani Cuisine because there isn't any !

For example when we barbeque a Lamb we marinate it with all the many spices that we can think of & garnish it was everything from thyme to lemons but when someone from the Western parts of Pakistan does that they don't use anything but the Lamb's own fat & only Pepper & Salt to make one of the best Lambs one would eat in the World - I kid you not ! :)

Similarly in the South-West or even the South you've got the Sajii which is cooked in a completely different manner !

Well, I suffered from a blackout for a moment. I mean just like there is nothing called Saudi Arabian cuisine in that way that it is also bound in ancient regional differences and that it is also just belong to the wider Arab and ME kitchen.

So if I am right here then Pakistani cuisine as such is just the cuisines found in what is now Pakistan but it is highly dependent on the historical regions and the different ethnic groups inhabiting those regions? Just like in India?

But then why not call it Pakistani cuisine as a umbrella name for all the cuisines found in what is now Pakistan?

Try Amritsari Kulcha Amritsari Aloo Kulcha recipe | Stuffed Kulcha

I don't know if it is fast though but it's really tasty...... Also try this site Indian Cuisine - Indian Food - Step-by-step Indian Cooking and Recipes
It has several recipes on various Indian dishes.

You know I am very fond of coconut and coconut milk/butter as ingredients to rice. It's also common in Southern Arabia as I told you. From what I can see Southern Indian cuisine uses that a lot.

Thanks, I will take a look at it.

Pakistanis are dramebaaz. What's the difference between lahori food and amritsari food? in Amritsar, you may be served kulcha, parantha, lassi, puri cholay. Same will be the case in Lahore. In my city (Jammu) we have some differences. We have some peculiar regional dishes which outsiders are not familiar with. Some famous dishes in Jammu:

In sweets we have Patisa from Kud
ins02_large.jpg

Kaladi which is kind of cheesy type bread - very tasty (famous one is from a place named Samroli)
Gyevchot-with-sweet-tea.jpg

Ambal (kind of has the same function as pickles- it is sour)

DSC_1980+-+Copy+(2).JPG

Rajma (kidney beans) from Bhadarwah - best kidney beans come from Jammu

rajma3.jpg[img]

Desi chai (called in Jammu) - pink and salty tea

pink_chai.jpg

We cook all of them in a different manner hence why they taste a hell of a lot different - And I've eaten from Indian Culinary Establishments (Kiosk to Restaurant) from 3 different countries.

And we call that 'cheesy naan' as Taaftan or was it Sheermaal - I can't recall !

And the Pink Chai is known throughout Pakistan as 'Kashmiri Chai' ! :lol:

Its served in almost all weddings !

Well, I suffered from a blackout for a moment. I mean just like there is nothing called Saudi Arabian cuisine in that way that it is also bound in ancient regional differences and that it also just belong to the wider Arab and ME kitchen.

So if I am right here then Pakistani cuisine as such is just the cuisines found in what is now Pakistan but it is highly dependent on the historical regions and the different ethnic groups inhabiting those regions? Just like in India?

But then why not call it Pakistani cuisine as a umbrella name for all the cuisines found in what is now Pakistan?

Because many of those same cuisines are found in India, Afghanistan or Iran; when the Muslims came to India they left a significant imprint on North Indian cuisine - We being Muslims adopted much of that & as did Indians but because we didn't have the dietary restrictions that many Hindus did....we adopted much more of them.

Afghanistan's largest ethnic group are the Pukhtoons.....our second largest ethnic group (more than twice that of Afghanistan) is also the Pukhtoon so Pukhtoon cuisines, though different between the two, share some similarities !

Therefore I prefer the term 'Cuisines or Foods of Pakistan' as opposed to 'Pakistani Cuisine' to be politically correct ! :D

P.S There is no such thing as Saudi Arabian Cuisine ! :p:

Last edited:
We cook all of them in a different manner hence why they taste a hell of a lot different - And I've eaten from Indian Culinary Establishments (Kiosk to Restaurant) from 3 different countries.

And we call that 'cheesy naan' as Taaftan or was it Sheermaal - I can't recall !

And the Pink Chai is known throughout Pakistan as 'Kashmiri Chai' ! :lol:

Its served in almost all weddings !

You are wrong. Kalari is exclusive to Jammu and Kashmir and is only found in Dogra cuisine. Kashmiris probably adopted it from us. I shouldn't have called it a bread. It is simply cheese. Kalari Kulcha is very popular in Jammu. Here is what wikipedia has to say.
Kalari or Maish Krej (Kashmiri: ميش کريج, Dogri: कलाड़ी or کلاڑی) is a traditional ripened cheese product indigenous to Jammu and Kashmir state of India .[1] It is a very dense cheese that is usually fried in its own fat and salted prior to being eaten. Kalaris are usually made from cow's milk, though kalaris made from goat's milk are also available, and have a whitish color.[2]

Kalaris, traditionally a local hill cheese [3] product are an intrinsic part of Kashmiri and Dogra cuisine and often incorporated into other dishes, such as the "Kalari-Kulcha," which is a popular snack in the Jammu region. To prepare a Kalari, it's put on a hot pan and allowed to release the fat, then it is covered with a small bowl. After some time the bowl is lifted and Kalari is flipped over and covered again. After frying it ends with brownish crispy layer outside and soft, creamy, gooey cheese inside (just like melted mozzarella cheese on pizza).[4]

In the Kashmir region, it is often prepared with tomatoes, after frying

You are wrong. Kalari is exclusive to Jammu and Kashmir and is only found in Dogra cuisine. Kashmiris probably adopted it from us. I shouldn't have called it a bread. It is simply cheese. Kalari Kulcha is very popular in Jammu. Here is what wikipedia has to say.
Kalari or Maish Krej (Kashmiri: ميش کريج, Dogri: कलाड़ी or کلاڑی) is a traditional ripened cheese product indigenous to Jammu and Kashmir state of India .[1] It is a very dense cheese that is usually fried in its own fat and salted prior to being eaten. Kalaris are usually made from cow's milk, though kalaris made from goat's milk are also available, and have a whitish color.[2]

Kalaris, traditionally a local hill cheese [3] product are an intrinsic part of Kashmiri and Dogra cuisine and often incorporated into other dishes, such as the "Kalari-Kulcha," which is a popular snack in the Jammu region. To prepare a Kalari, it's put on a hot pan and allowed to release the fat, then it is covered with a small bowl. After some time the bowl is lifted and Kalari is flipped over and covered again. After frying it ends with brownish crispy layer outside and soft, creamy, gooey cheese inside (just like melted mozzarella cheese on pizza).[4]

In the Kashmir region, it is often prepared with tomatoes, after frying

Gooey Cheese inside - Hell No....I must've mistaken it for something else; a Taaftan is sweet !

We've got a separate Cheese Naan - Some modern day rendition of it !

@Armstrong @WebMaster @jandk

Can you recommend some quick recipes that are easy to make but which are still tasty.They don't necessarily have to be vegetarian dishes. I normally eat a lot of meat and seafood so it would even be positive if the dishes contained some kind of meat or seafood.

I live in a fairly big city (Copenhagen) close to the city center so there is no problem with buying South Asian ingredients and spices. I even have a Pakistani living in the same flat that I live in.

I am not necessarily talking about main dishes but something along the lines of the Arab Meze or just snacks in general. Also what type of breakfast do you mainly eat? Is it also just bread and mostly dairy products and vegetables with either tea or coffee?
I remember one reading about some South Indian dish (vegetarian) that was easy to make but which contained beans, coconut and chilies?

Bro, for us..(almost all) usually a mother, sister or a wife who cooks, we just eat. :D

Back
Top Bottom