What's new

Arabian/Arab swords and daggers

@Banu Hashim

Al-Hasani buddy How are you.... ...:p:

Yeah two of my future dream is to have Arabian sword ( even though I dont know where I can get it, it is forbidden to carry it trough plane of course) and SS-2 V 5 riffle which is impossible to acquire unless I am a high official in my country

:cheers:

I am good my friend. What about you?

Actually I have to correct you here. It depends on the country and airline. Let us presume that you one day will visit a country in the Arabian Peninsula famed for swords and daggers (KSA, Yemen or Oman mostly). You buy such a sword as a souvenir and you obviously want to take it with you back home. In such a case you arrange the transport of that sword with the airline. For instance you can transport the sword in your checked in luggage. You must declare it though. Obviously you cannot have it as your hand-carry. In other words you cannot have a sword with you in the cabin.
It's legal to keep swords in those Arabian countries and I presume that the same is the case with Indonesia. So that should not be a problem. Only the transport.

I know the procedure myself as I have transported swords and daggers from KSA to France. My father and two of my older brothers have also transported weapons (intended for hunting) between the ME/Africa and Europe too.

Some countries have extremely strict gun laws and knife legislation (Japan is a good example) so if you are not careful you can get into serious trouble.

I don't know anything about gun laws in Indonesia.:)

Wow .

Very wonderful job and interesting infos .

Thanks man !

I'll back inshaa Allah.

Please feel free to contribute with some photos of beautiful swords or dagger as well brother.

Nice contribution @Frosty . Feel free to contribute more as well.

Also you guys should also check out the handcraft that is behind making a sword. See the two videos that I attached in my opening post. It's a young Finnish blacksmith that demonstrates how Damascus steel is made. I imagine that it would be funny to do this yourself as a side hobby, lol. Relaxing too.

Two nice videos demonstrating the amazing balance of the blade;

Last edited:
I am good my friend. What about you?

Actually I have to correct you here. It depends on the country and airline. Let us presume that you one day will visit a country in the Arabian Peninsula famed for swords and daggers (KSA, Yemen or Oman mostly). You buy such a sword as a souvenir and you obviously want to take it with you back home. In such a case you arrange the transport of that sword with the airline. For instance you can transport the sword in your checked in luggage. You must declare it though. Obviously you cannot have it as your hand-carry. In other words you cannot have a sword with you in the cabin.
It's legal to keep swords in those Arabian countries and I presume that the same is the case with Indonesia. So that should not be a problem. Only the transport.

I know the procedure myself as I have transported swords and daggers from KSA to France. My father and two of my older brothers have also transported weapons (intended for hunting) between the ME/Africa and Europe too.

I don't know anything about gun laws in Indonesia.:)

I am very well, with satisfaction and great feeling because of our Beloved God blessing and forgiveness, ALLAH SWT, AlhamduliLLAH. The best feeling is when we are near Him.

Tasawuf really really works........:yay:

Yup, I have a plan to buy it some day, inshaALLAH. Its great to hear that it is actually allowed to be transported. Maybe I will try to ask the airliner first about this if there is a plan someday to visit there.

Normal civilians are not allowed to have guns here, only high officials and politicians can.

"Ajrab" sword of Imam Turki bin Abdullah, The founder of the Second Saudi State. Ajrab is well known in Arabia because it's associated with a famous poem by Imam Turki bin Abdullah " when everybody abandoned his friend, I took Ajrab as my best companion"

:O Oh damn.

I thought Imam Turki would be Late King Abdullah's son ...

Tell me why are some royalties called imam and other called ameer ?

:O Oh damn.

I thought Imam Turki would be Late King Abdullah's son ...

Tell me why are some royalties called imam and other called ameer ?

Because unlike the first and second Saudi State, the third Saudi State is a monarchy and the first to hold the title King was King Abdulaziz. Imam Turki bin Abdullah was the Amir of his city and literally the Imam of the people he ruled when praying. It was more of a religious movement to unite the whole of Arabia under one rule instead of raiding each other at that time. King Abdulaziz was more like a politician.

1024px-First_Saudi_State_Big.png

Second_Saudi_State.png

There is a thread I have opened a while ago about the Katara Damascus steal swords (Al Katara or the drop) and their relationship to the Japanese Katana.
Any feedback?

Very old Omani Kattara
oman-111.jpg

attachment.php

Japanese Katana
s1513.jpg

Legendary Swords' Sharpness, Strength From Nanotubes, Study Says

New studies of Damascus swords are revealing that the legendary blades contain nanowires, carbon nanotubes, and other extremely small, intricate structures that might explain their unique features. Damascus swords, first made in the eighth century A.D., are renowned for their complex surface patterns and sharpness. According to legend, the blades can cut a piece of silk in half as it falls to the ground and maintain their edge after cleaving through stone, metal, or even other swords.

But since the techniques for making these swords have been lost for hundreds of years, no one is sure exactly why these swords are so exceptional.

Now studies of the swords' molecular structure are uncovering the tiny structures that may explain these properties.

Peter Paufler, a crystallographer at Technical University in Dresden, Germany, and his colleagues had previously found tiny nanowires and nanotubes when they used an electron microscope to examine samples from a Damascus blade made in the 17th century.

Today in the journal Nature, the teams reports that it has also discovered carbon nanotubes in the sword—the first nanotubes ever found in steel, Paufler says.

The nanotubes, which are remarkably strong, run through the blade's softer steel, likely making it more resilient...

Secret Techniques

Some of the nanowires Paufler and his team had previously found were made of an extremely hard iron-based mineral called cementite.

In the new research, the team discovered that carbon nanotubes encase some cementite nanowires, protecting them.

These nanotube-nanowire bundles may give the swords their special properties, Paufler says.

The bundles run parallel to the blade's surface and may help larger particles of cementite arrange in layers. These hard layers, which have softer steel in between, could help explain how the steel remains strong yet flexible.
This combination of strength and flexibility makes the steel ideal for forging swords.
The blades were generally made from metal ingots prepared in India using special recipes, which probably put just the right amount of carbon and other impurities into the iron .

By following these recipes and following specific forging techniques, "craftsmen ended up making nanotubes more than 400 years ago," Paufler and his colleagues write.

When these blades were nearly finished, blacksmiths would etch them with acid. This brought out the wavy light and dark lines that make Damascus swords easy to recognize.

But it could also give the swords their sharpness, Paufler says. Because carbon nanotubes are resistant to acid, they would protect the nanowires, he theorizes.

After etching, many of these nanostructures could stick out from the blade's edge, giving it tiny saw-like teeth.

Skeptical Smiths

The techniques for making the steel were lost around A.D. 1700. But many researchers are studying how to recreate the blades—even though metallurgical experts warn that the blades, though exceptional for their time, are far outperformed by modern steels.

While some scientists have claimed success, others dispute that the reproductions are truly the same as the originals.

And many experts doubt that the new findings will clear things up.

John Verhoeven, a metallurgist at Iowa State University at Ames who has worked on reproducing the Damascus sword-making techniques, is skeptical that Paufler and his colleagues have cracked the secret of Damascus blades.

"I don't think that [the nanowires] are anything unusual," Verhoeven said. "I think those structures would be found in normal steels."

The Damascus sword is also an example of how unexpected nanosize structures can show up in materials—and sometimes give them surprising properties, experts say.

But not all these nanoproperties are good. Asbestos, for example, comes in needle-like particles that cause severe lung disease. Break these particles into shorter pieces, and they much less harmful.

Because of nanomaterials' unpredictable behavior, several researchers asked in an article published today in Nature for more studies of these materials and their potential side effects.

Legendary Swords' Sharpness, Strength From Nanotubes, Study Says

In my posts you'll see a composition of Arabic and Islamic swords and diggers(Khanjar/jambeiah ) .Because we can't escape the Islamic swords because it's linked with the Arabic cultures, for example we've Othmani -Arabic swords.And I'll focus on pics as much as I can to give you a good background about the shapes and types .

Various shapes of the Arabic Swords :

1_1030428_1_34.jpg

Some types of Arabic Swords :
( Names from left to right )

Yemeni | Omani | Emirate | Other Omani shape |
Saudi | Other Omani shape | Other Yemeni shape | Othmani-Arabi
10956669_1378405429143173_257727541_n.jpg

The Arabic / Islamic swords has a special decorations we can observe it form the below pics :

3014.jpg

10995213_412755965552935_1311977791_n.jpg

11008042_795143920576392_1646873361_n.jpg

11022809_922858331100185_772419359_n.jpg

10995133_1376982595951976_356914005_n.jpg

10986110_1528785800718474_1873509288_n.jpg

A Bahraini gold Jambia with rhino horn handle belongs to king Salman son of Hamad Al Khalifa ( the grand father of the Bahrain king H. H king Hamad bin Essa Al Khalifa :

10950379_1377571575891557_329330552_n.jpg

10995189_432999960196586_835058227_n.jpg

11008142_1542425459366354_553929029_n.jpg

11024183_1402651513376400_847004050_n.jpg

Otthmani And Emirate Swords :
11005147_1060149464002067_700106286_n.jpg

Some Pics shows an old Islamic/Arabic Swords :

924097_214651645372184_583730855_n.jpg

10995200_429905127180779_1185284381_n.jpg

11008255_1017095588305274_199872482_n.jpg

Arabian Gulf's Made Kanjar/Digger :

10963885_794922133926391_1472174523_n.jpg

Old Islamic Swords :
11004992_842031642528122_1303066456_n.jpg

Indian Digger :
11007899_886655974691097_559661390_n.jpg

Models for the Arabic sword hilt :
Names From left to right :

Omani hilt called " Namsha ( Omani-Zanjbar)" | Moroccan hilt called " Namsha " |
Moroccan hilt called " Al-tawareq " | Sudanese hilt

10932329_398138963701887_1096359364_n.jpg
ٍ

Old Yemeni Hilt | Old Yemeni Hilt
Iraqi Hilt | Othmani-Arabi Hilt

10932287_372094779639453_1627230128_n.jpg

Sundanese digger | Sundanese digger | Somali Digger

926266_842231755836593_1560372489_n.jpg

@Gasoline

Thank you for showcasing our beautiful and ancient Arabian/Arab swords and daggers that are second to none IMO, brother.

For now a few more Yemeni daggers (Janbiyas);

attachment.php

attachment.php

000402.jpg

000401.jpg

1) Rhino horn handle with silver fittings
2) Amber handle
3) Whole silver handle, silver scabbard.
4) Rhino horn handle with silver fittings, silver scabbard.
5) Rhino horn handle with pierced silver fittings.
6) Rhino horn handle with silver fittings and colored stone also on the scabbard
7) Cow horn with silver nails

Old Hijazi Janbiya;

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

18th century Omani Janbiya fully mounted in gold. All of the metal mountings that are normally silver are in this case gold and carved and as detailed as the finest of this type of work. The belt is similar mounted in gold as well and the scabbard displays a beautiful pattern of all gold wires in the non-solid metal mounts.

PC103789.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
cool nice
here in Tunisia the gov banned owning swords and daggers they classify them as Cold weapon (white arm) after banning tribalism that after the independence and i love it ( the banning )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom