What's new

Saudi Arabia defeated Argentina 2-1 ending Argentina's 35 undefeated games run - One of the biggest underdog stories in modern World Cup history

Tharki mode on:

Argentina has alwsys been mediocre at world cups
To be good entire team gotta perform, can’t just ride on 1 players ‘greatness’

Really happy for KSA team, awesome performance. Best of luck and prayers for further success inshAllah. Go Saudia!

Argentina have won the World Cup 2 times (1978, 1986) and played in several finals, the latest one in 2014.
They are the reigning South American football champions and they had an 35 game unbeaten run before the game.
They were regarded as one of the 3 main favourites for this World Cup along with Brazil and France by most experts and almost every bookie.
So this is actually a very huge upset. One of the biggest in World Cup history. Messi was also playing very well up to the World Cup for PSG.
In general most Asian and African teams don't really stand a chance against the best teams in the world.
Football is by far the most popular sport in the world and the competition is absolutely brutal. Qualifying for the World Cup is already a huge accomplishment for 90% of all countries/teams in the world.

Last edited:
Very true, regarding Messi and how he really disappears for long stretches of the matches only to pounce on a loose ball near the goal and put it in. Or get the free kicks from outside the box but still, there is quite a bit of talent he has that he showcases, just does it at his pace.

But I will disagree with you on it not being a total surprise just because Argentina has had some very bad days before in WC matches and the reason being the betting line. Argentina was favored by 2.5 goals. SA was +1900 underdogs! Those are actually huge numbers in favor of Argentina, and they tell a lot about what most people would be thinking out there. But there is always that deep-rooted heart loyalty that makes it not impossible by any means.

Saudi Arabia did their country proud, the effort they put into that game caught the Argentines cold. The Saudi defence was huge, people say Argentina didn't take their chances, but it was the Saudis keeping their line at the back that got them offside and prevented the goals and Messi is now 35 years old and he's been playing for his country since 2005. He's still a good player but at that age fatigue sets in and he has lost that winning spark. Credit to the Saudis who battled bravely to win the match but were also fortunate that VAR was on their side especially in the first half. In football anything is possible...

Saudi Arabia did their country proud, the effort they put into that game caught the Argentines cold. The Saudi defence was huge, people say Argentina didn't take their chances, but it was the Saudis keeping their line at the back that got them offside and prevented the goals and Messi is now 35 years old and he's been playing for his country since 2005. He's still a good player but at that age fatigue sets in and he has lost that winning spark. Credit to the Saudis who battled bravely to win the match but were also fortunate that VAR was on their side especially in the first half. In football anything is possible...

Yep, for sure. Sucks getting old believe me lol. VAR.......? Are you referring to the video assistance referee? Did the refs need to go to those for the disallowed goals by Argentina? I missed most of the first half but watching the highlights, the two disallowed goals were most certainly offsides, those were clear as day on the replays and the linesmen were also quick on the flags. That's another thing to give Saudiya credit for, is the way they laid down those offsides traps so well.

This is a great 5-minute breakdown of the match and you can see how those goals -- both by Messi being disallowed -- definitely gave Saudiya a spark. Kinda like a very obvious sign that things should go their way if they start going on the offensive. And they did.

I agree with your entire post but what do you mean with "they were lucky with VAR"? You are probably referring to the 2 disallowed goals of Argentina but they were all scored illegally due to being in off-side positions when the pass were made, so they were rightly called off.

In fact KSA were brilliant in terms of catching Argentina off-side time and time again.
When you do that 7 times in the first half alone consistently it is a sign of a great defensive game and defensive coordination by the team and manager team.

So there was no luck involved here.

In fact I felt that KSA were done harshly by the referee on many occasions. For instance Argentina's only goal was scored on a penalty given to them early in the game after, what I thought, was a very, very weak penalty.

The extra time was also extended for at least 2-3 more minutes that it should have been based on the actual stops. Some harsh yellow cards for KSA as well.

Infantino's criticism (brave one too) of the Western hypocrisy was quite amazing and spot on really. This patronizing by a serial killer on a petty thief (West vs Qatar/Arabs comparison) is getting really tiring

Don't worry Messi will bounce back and these Saudis don't deserve to win because they play one game here and there like there I'm sure they are losing the rest

Don't worry Messi will bounce back and these Saudis don't deserve to win because they play one game here and there like there I'm sure they are losing the rest

Don't write off Argentina. They were a bit too arrogant against Saudi but they will change their attitude.

Don't write off Argentina. They were a bit too arrogant against Saudi but they will change their attitude.

Argentina will defeat both Mexico and Poland and advance. Remains to be seen who the second team that will advance, will be, could be anyone of KSA, Mexico and Poland. KSA is still the underdog in the group despite leading the group after 1 game and beating the strongest/best/highest ranked team in the group already.

But whatever happens, KSA already will have an incredibly memorable World Cup just by winning against Argentina and in the fashion they did it (fully deserved) and not playing anti-football for most of the game.

Argentina will defeat both Mexico and Poland and advance. Remains to be seen who the second team that will advance, will be, could be anyone of KSA, Mexico and Poland. KSA is still the underdog in the group despite leading the group after 1 game and beating the strongest/best/highest ranked team in the group already.

But whatever happens, KSA already will have an incredibly memorable World Cup just by winning against Argentina and in the fashion they did it (fully deserved) and not playing anti-football for most of the game.

Argentina were pitiful and Saudi Arabia deserved it. Saying this, I think it'll be a wake up call to Argentina and they'll improve and still be there later in this competition. A few winners have lost their first games, I think it'll help Argentina and they will have to step it up hugely. Let's see if they do.

I have watched sports for a long time and I will tell you that all the greatest win streaks throughout history come against the most unlikeliest or bottom feeding teams
The reason for this is many fold
1. The pressure, fatigue and expectation to keep the winning streak alive from the fans and media is huge. It is extremely tiring to keep something going on for such a long time.
2. Their is a huge target on your back. Every team is training and preparing to beat you and your style of play. Every team is bringing their A+++ game against you while you may have days where you want to cruise or take it easy
3. The thirst and hunger for victory is no longer there. While everyone is studying how to beat you and training overtime to do so, you are underestimating certain teams and hoping to preserve yourself health wise so you can play your best against the better teams.

And what about those teams that snap the greatest win streaks in sports history? Well those average to below average teams regress back to their typical statistical averages and nothing really ever comes out of it unfortunately.

I guess this was the first time an Asian team could defeat Argentina. Great job 👌👍

Hope Al-Dossari guy recovers. He was badly injured.

Sorry,I had to make it :P

ENtAuZlWoAQHBqm.jpg large.jpg

Argentina have had some very bad days at WC's in the past so it's not a total surprise. I have always thought Messi is a bit over-rated actually, goes missing on big occasions too much for my liking

Argentina team is all old now. So no surprise to me.

:lol:

That Arab habibti on the right though.

Morocco drawing 0-0 against Croatia who reached the World Cup final last time around. Not a bad start for Arab teams. Qatar remains the sole disappointment.

It's a great victory,celebrations in Saudi Arabia.

But the crushing defeat is nothing like the legendary Brazil-Germany match:

Yes, that is never going to be topped. Epic German trolling. Brazil were the hosts and it was a World Cup semifinal. Germany where up 5-0 after 30 minutes or something crazy like that.:lol:

Anyway I still think that Germany are going to win this time around once again.

great team and great country. thanks @Khan2727 great thread and great replies.

So how was the reaction in beautiful Oman? From social media it looked like a party atmosphere from Morocco to Oman and Senegal to Indonesia. This often happens whenever a Muslim country does well or make an upset in football. No other sport than football is this global and it unites people often.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom