What's new

Any replacement for Bangladesh A-5 jets?

Ya sure as if India going to lend us 30 of its MKI... LOL

There can be some arrangement like you subsidize 50% of EAC's expenses and we will take care of your Air Defence. Deal ? :azn:

Good relationship between two unequal countries is not enough. The small one has to develop its own military upto a certain extent, not to fight but to defend, in case a war is imposed upon it.

I hope you do know India has no use absolutely in imposing a war on BD unless you think of taking Assam from us. :woot:. Diplomatically BD is regarded as a neutral nation at worst and normally as a friendly nation.

Only last week the Myamar Airforce Cheif came for a 5-day visit to Bangladesh. Burma's newly elected President will be coming to BD for his 1st ever visit to a foreign country. Relationship with that country is excellent, and will improve with these visists.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

But, I thought there is also Turkish source of getting SAMs. Are you sure that it is only Russian source?

Bangladesh building missile arsenal - Times Of India

Never heard of any SAMs procured from Russia. It is confirmed that the BD military is procuring some Atılgan pmads from Turkey. Basically 4 pedestal mounted Stingers carried by a Land Rover Defender 130.

pmads0s0dfi.jpg

But this weapon system are for short range.

I agree that Bangladesh's air-defenses are inadequate. They would need something like a Patriot Missile System, S-300 or something like that.

Patriot Missile System (USA):
800px-Patriot_System_2.jpg

S-300 (Russia):
MoscowParade2009_7.jpg

There is also a Chinese copy of the S-300, but I think there are limitations of the Chinese option.

Or maybe even the Norwegian made NASAMS:

Nasams_lchr_truck.jpg

Nasams.jpg

If have good relations with India, maybe Akash :P

800px-Akash_SAM.jpg

But we should note, these things don't come cheap either. What is known for sure is that Bangladesh's air-defense is inadequate. Anyone have any better ideas or correct me?

Edit: The missile launchers and the systems supporting it are one thing, but those individual missiles are very expensive too. Those must be bought from the particular country of origin, since I doubt if BD is able to manufacture those missiles and other advanced munitions of its own.

Perhaps BD military should fully and holistically assess its strengths and weaknesses, and come up with a complete package. Ask vendors from various countries to offer that package. Whoever provides the best and most cost effective solution for Bangladesh wins! Also, relevant links are very important.

Also, get rid of those Soviet era AA guns.

But then again, as stated before, our economic conditions and corruption can forbid such large and important procurements for our overall defense.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

We already bought them from Russia. Dipu Moni visited Russia 3 times already. I cant recall the links though. BD military should have the info. For whatever reason I cant register to that site.

Yeah, that Dipu Moni makes foreign trips too often doesn't she? Can you post any source???? Coz I don't see any.

That was with Janta..... Recent news show that new Govt of Myanmar trying to establish good relation with BD ... and i dont think Myanmar is a threat.... They will surely listen to China

The junta is still in power. No sane leader in BD will seek parity with India by buying jets. A militia or guerella army is much cheaper and better.
And no, dictators may prefer listening to nobody sometimes.

The aim should be getting quality equipments that serve the purpose and not quantity.BD is not out there to pick up a fight with India or Myanmar.So,that part can be ruled out.It would be wise to go for multi role jets,that can safeguard the territorial boundaries,patrol and also take part in ground attack.Something totally in the line of a ground attack role like the SU-25 Frogfoot is not required.BAF should concentrate on buying less,but buying cutting edge quality equipments.This will not only improve the skills of the Bangladeshi pilots,but also help in surveillance and counter-insurgency roles if ever required.

There is absolutely no need to have a large number of fighters,for it will be difficult,if not impossible to match its immediate neighbour in numbers.There is no necessity for that as well.

The aim should be getting quality equipments that serve the purpose and not quantity.BD is not out there to pick up a fight with India or Myanmar.So,that part can be ruled out.It would be wise to go for multi role jets,that can safeguard the territorial boundaries,patrol and also take part in ground attack.Something totally in the line of a ground attack role like the SU-25 Frogfoot is not required.BAF should concentrate on buying less,but buying cutting edge quality equipments.This will not only improve the skills of the Bangladeshi pilots,but also help in surveillance and counter-insurgency roles if ever required.

There is absolutely no need to have a large number of fighters,for it will be difficult,if not impossible to match its immediate neighbour in numbers.There is no necessity for that as well.

I forgot that we also need a dedicated attack helicopter :argh:

Interesting post though.

Bangladeshi navy already uses c-802 missile as well as Jf-17 also uses it. may be J-10 also .... so they will go for these fighters must !

I hope you do know India has no use absolutely in imposing a war on BD unless you think of taking Assam from us. :woot:. Diplomatically BD is regarded as a neutral nation at worst and normally as a friendly nation.

Assam is a different subject. There may be some rogue elements in our armed forces and in the political circle who would try to avail an opportunity like an Assam insurrection. Otherwise, the govt of BD will not move directly to help any of those rebels.

A country and all the countries of the world cannot just depend upon some other country's goodwill. It has to be strong economically as well as militarily. Our country is surrounded by other countries that we cannot trust. Strength is security and we want to feel secure.

BD army is going for type 96 while other type 69/79 will be upgraded to type 96 and type 59 will be converted to APC ! Dont know about Yatagans though! i heard once they intend to buy 300 yatagan/type 84 !! I like this tank... looks like a beast !!

UkrainianT84Tank.jpg

Yeah, it is a very good tank and perfectly suitable for Bangladeshi conditions. The Royal Thai Army has also placed an order of these beasts.

Speaking of beasts, check this out:

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot that we also need a dedicated attack helicopter :argh:

Interesting post though.

Well for the dedicated attack helo, without any offence, western helos are way out of BDs budget. So that leaves on;y 2 contenders. China's WZ10 and India's LCH.

Bangladeshi navy already uses c-802 missile as well as Jf-17 also uses it. may be J-10 also .... so they will go for these fighters must !

Dude. An air launched AShM and ship launched, even if the numbering may be the same are very very different. in no way will that affect bangladesh's choice of jet

Well for the dedicated attack helo, without any offence, western helos are way out of BDs budget. So that leaves on;y 2 contenders. China's WZ10 and India's LCH.

anyway i personally like Rooivalk ! But it is too costly ..

Denel_Rooivalk_flying_2006.jpg

Bd bought two AgustaWestland 209 and two chinese harbin z-9 for navy .. . it indicates they will buy helo from europe if they buy any as china is not so advanced in it ! Bangladesh militry was never interested in indian toys... and never will be !

Yeah, it is a very good tank and perfectly suitable for Bangladeshi conditions. The Royal Thai Army has also placed an order of these beasts.

Speaking of beasts, check this out:

Germans were great !! Hail HITLR :sniper:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom