What's new

Any replacement for Bangladesh A-5 jets?

Considering both India and Myanmar consists of soviet birds BD should consider European,us or Chinese jets. From the economic perspective and maintainability variables as well as transfer of tech theres no alternative to Chinese at the moment. Now BD has both Russian and Chinese jets so the decision would fluctuate between the two and then if we narrow it down its either sukhoy,mig or jf17.

Well, Burma also uses Chinese aircraft. Don't forget, China is a staunch supporter of the Burmese Junta. But I can honestly say that Bangladesh has better relations with it compared to India. China don't easily give the best aircraft it is capable of producing. The PAF only have a handful of J-10s which can at best match the performance of a latest versions of the F-16.

I agree about logistical issues when it comes to spares regarding US-made jets, USA is very far from Bangladesh. However Western aircraft do come in better packages compared to Chinese and Russian. That is one of the reasons why India eliminated the MIG-35 for the Rafale and EF in the competition. Those SU-30s used by India were jointly developed with Russia. Considering we have little or no R&D in the field of aerospace and defense with other countries, the Western option is better.

And there is no reason that we would ever come under sanctions, unlike India or Burma (already under Western sanctions).

However, I think it is more feasible if Bangladesh works on a fully integrated air defense network that is fully capable of countering every known aircraft and missile in the world. It is a small country, so it will be easier to work on it. Considering the costs of such a system, it is a better long-term investment compared to procuring expensive aircraft that would otherwise become obsolete in a few decades at best, and more superior aircraft with stealth capabilities become available in the global arms market.

What do profile stats got to do with any discussion? :blink:

Whatever brought down that F-117 was a very lucky shot. That does not mean the F-117 is the same as a MIG-27 :rofl: (the ones shot down during the Kargil war) under any circumstances.

But thanks for the recommendations.

Not really a lucky shot.

If you read the account, it was pilot being inattentive to details.

Overconfidence!

The parts were taken away by various interested parties including China.

Bangladesh should buy JF-17, as its a potent fighter but has not shown its usefulness ,
as per indian view, i think when IAF has an exercise with BAF it'll be good for us as we'll know how much lethal or crap this fighter so as to be taken into account...and possibly we can develop counter measures for that.

Any replacement for Bangladesh A-5 jets?

A-5 jets are too old; BAF operates 18 A-5 jets

Nanchang Q-5, also known as the A-5 in its export versions, is a Chinese-built ground-attack aircraft.

a-5c+fantan.jpg
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...=177&ty=123&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0

someone once posted in the forum Bangladesh is going to have Buk-m1-2 sam

However, I think it is more feasible if Bangladesh works on a fully integrated air defense network that is fully capable of countering every known aircraft and missile in the world. It is a small country, so it will be easier to work on it. Considering the costs of such a system, it is a better long-term investment compared to procuring expensive aircraft that would otherwise become obsolete in a few decades at best, and more superior aircraft with stealth capabilities become available in the global arms market.

Theres an old post , let me quote,
Well Heavy tanks that bog down in mud will be pathetic for the ones in operation.
Now I’ve seen in another forum that the arrowheads are pointing towards a new air defense program and a joint committee has been formed in that regards. This includes Director, AD, BA and Director, AD, BAF and other concerned officers and directorates (such as WE&S, Artillery of BA and Air Plans etc). Well the equation is like this-

1. VSHORAD : FB-6A (6 km)
2. SHORAD : FM-90 (12 km, for point defence)
3. Medium Range : LY-60D/LY-60N (22 km, for limited aerial defence)
4. Semi-Long Range : LY-70 [Naval Version]/LY-80 (42km, for aerial defence)

[LY-70/LY-80 is a reverse engineered version of Russian BUK-M1-2]"

It seems that the military will also equip all ground unites with MANPADS. The preferred artillery being FN-16 .

These decisions are much more practical than unnecessary procurements such as heavy tanks although it seems Air-Craft procurements won’t be shelved in ribbons. To prevent future invasions by foreign forces we need good Air-Defence and because of the fact that we have a small country there is an advantage of total perimeter coverage. Which on the contrary for our neighbors will be quite expensive to materialize.

If Bangladesh can build 50,000 dwt ships, she can build any aircraft of her choice and sell it to Germany, which wants more 50,000 dwt ships down the line.

It will be a great boost for the industrialisation of BD, employment and immense finance pouring in by the way of exports.

Great potential!

Zabanya...However, I think it is more feasible if Bangladesh works on a fully integrated air defense network that is fully capable of countering every known aircraft and missile in the world. It is a small country, so it will be easier to work on it. Considering the costs of such a system, it is a better long-term investment compared to procuring expensive aircraft that would otherwise become obsolete in a few decades at best, and more superior aircraft with stealth capabilities become available in the global arms market.

Logical...but procurement can't be delayed or ignored, you guys can wait for alleged semi stealth JFT that is bound to be available in global arms market.

Zabanya...However, I think it is more feasible if Bangladesh works on a fully integrated air defense network that is fully capable of countering every known aircraft and missile in the world. It is a small country, so it will be easier to work on it. Considering the costs of such a system, it is a better long-term investment compared to procuring expensive aircraft that would otherwise become obsolete in a few decades at best, and more superior aircraft with stealth capabilities become available in the global arms market.

Logical..

Nothing can replace an aircraft.

AD is merely defensive.

There is no failsafe radar system or missiles that can take on every known aircraft.

Abbotabad should have made it crystal clear.

One has to take the war into enemy territory - that is a basic principle.

Nothing can replace an aircraft. AD is merely defensive. There is no failsafe radar system or missiles that can take on every known aircraft.
Abbotabad should have made it crystal clear. One has to take the war into enemy territory - that is a basic principle.

First, we are discussion Bangladesh.
Air Defense should always be strong and is always Important, without Air Defense you are DEAD.
You logic is flawed it doesn't mean if a Radar System is not very superior it shouldn't be purchased.
Every nation has the right to buy the right stuff according to its needs with the Money in hand.

A defensive Air Force shouldn't take the war into enemy territory but to defend the Air Space, but the specific strike element should be present to give some dents. Strike elements like ALCM are as much becoming important thought our the world, I would not be surprised if BAF gets less then 300KM ALCM from China in the future. However a potential capability to damage enemy they don't have to go deep with fighters..
The geographical location doesn't permit BAF to take any wrong steps against neighbor due to the large Air Force and the types of weapons.

Logic tells how are you going to identify an aircraft and then friend or foe if you don't have Air Defense Radars...Unless your are a north korean kamikaze.

Happened to work in such an environment, if that helps.

Not really an armchair Joe!

But then, you be happy with your ideas.

Hakuna matata!

If BD is attacked only a damned fool will think AD will protect it.

1971 East Pakistan is an example!

In no time PAF was crippled!

Well, Burma also uses Chinese aircraft. Don't forget, China is a staunch supporter of the Burmese Junta. But I can honestly say that Bangladesh has better relations with it compared to India. China don't easily give the best aircraft it is capable of producing. The PAF only have a handful of J-10s which can at best match the performance of a latest versions of the F-16.

I agree about logistical issues when it comes to spares regarding US-made jets, USA is very far from Bangladesh. However Western aircraft do come in better packages compared to Chinese and Russian. That is one of the reasons why India eliminated the MIG-35 for the Rafale and EF in the competition. Those SU-30s used by India were jointly developed with Russia. Considering we have little or no R&D in the field of aerospace and defense with other countries, the Western option is better.

And there is no reason that we would ever come under sanctions, unlike India or Burma (already under Western sanctions).

Sorry Sire, PAF doesn't have J10(as per my knowledge).

Bangla Air force: It will be totally defensive in nature, So your focus shall be on point defense Fighter planes rather than Air superiority or Multi role...

Current Fighter planes which can be used best as point defense role:
1. F16
2. LCA
3. JF17
4. MiG29
5. Chinese J8
6. Early variant of Su27

Points to keep in mind before choosing it..
1. initial cost / procurement cost
2. Per flight cost
3. Support and maintenance cost..
and most important,
4. in worst case it can intercept best fighter India/Burma/China have

keeping all this in mind I think F16 or Su27 or MiG29 K are best buy...LCA and JF17 will be cheaper but who knows, they will turn literally cheap during war.. :P

:butcher::butcher::butcher::butcher:

I did mention about F-16s since it is a very suitable and a reliable aircraft for the BAF, and I think Bangladesh can afford only if there isn't so much corruption behind every purchase.

The F-16 fits the BAF requirements well.

I do love the F-15E Strike Eagle though.

F-15E_Strike_Eagle.jpg

Thing is a beast :bounce:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom