What's new

Any one from Florida ?

This weekend's air show was after 4 yrs due to COVID. When the Mac was F-16, we had an annual open house. Then nothing when the base was NOAA. Now that the base is USAF again, it is annual, or the base try to make it annual. The base open house is always a huge local event. The weather is %99.999 cooperative so the demo flyers usually fly their best routines. There is always the variety of static airplane displays. Plenty of pretty girls in short dresses and tight shorts walking around getting attention from the military guys. Beers and foods. The usual assortments of military memorabilia for sale, the most popular are the unit patches, of course. When I was at the Mac, I did airshow duty once watching over a couple of F-16s, showing the children the cockpit, explaining stuff, and so on.
Man you are now just teasing... You know in Pakistan getting to see a F-16 is like a dream let alone getting close enough to even see its cockpit or sit in it for a Pic, I bet American Air Force would be a lot more relax when it comes to civilians enjoying such shows as there is no threats etc, well hopefully next year, or maybe If there is something planned for 4th July that would be fun to watch, my last 4th July was boring as heck as there was nothing to do here in SC, and I did not have License back then. I am pretty sure there would be some good shows planned for independence day.

Man you are now just teasing... You know in Pakistan getting to see a F-16 is like a dream let alone getting close enough to even see its cockpit or sit in it for a Pic, I bet American Air Force would be a lot more relax when it comes to civilians enjoying such shows as there is no threats etc, well hopefully next year, or maybe If there is something planned for 4th July that would be fun to watch, my last 4th July was boring as heck as there was nothing to do here in SC, and I did not have License back then. I am pretty sure there would be some good shows planned for independence day.
Open houses are 'soft' recruitment tools.

We allow people to walk thru the tankers and cargo jets, all the way up to the cockpit. For smaller jets like the F-16, we do allow sit-ins, especially for the kids. There are exceptions, of course, and for now, the exceptions are the 'stealth' airplanes. They are roped off and guarded. When the SR-71 was active duty, it was a premium treat for any airshow to host an SR-71 because its squadrons were always busy so usually it was a fly-by, seldom static display, and when there was a static display, there were guards around the jet and their rifles were loaded with real ammo. After the SR-71 retired, it was the F-117 that was the star. Today, it is the F-22, F-35, and B-2.

It is hard work to clean up the jets after an open house. The greatest danger is Foreign Object Damage (FOD) because people, especially kids, drops stuff inside the jets. So basically, after the airshow, each airplane is Red X-ed, meaning grounded. Then Maintenance have to do a full inspection before releasing the airplane back to duty. Maintenance also have to do a complete 'FOD Walk' on the flightline to pick up after the public. Everybody in the squadron helps out the post airshow FOD walk. We find anything, from wallets to soda cans and even underwear. The wallets we return to the owners, the underwear we toss in the trash.

Make sense...
We allow people to walk thru the tankers and cargo jets, all the way up to the cockpit. For smaller jets like the F-16, we do allow sit-ins, especially for the kids. There are exceptions, of course, and for now, the exceptions are the 'stealth' airplanes. They are roped off and guarded. When the SR-71 was active duty, it was a premium treat for any airshow to host an SR-71 because its squadrons were always busy so usually it was a fly-by, seldom static display, and when there was a static display, there were guards around the jet and their rifles were loaded with real ammo. After the SR-71 retired, it was the F-117 that was the star. Today, it is the F-22, F-35, and B-2.
Totally understandable, I mean tourists can post pics which can give insight of technology and system for US rivals like China. Kids are different and can be supervised. and of course, I mean if Public is getting access to such planes and the walk arounds the planes then they have to be carefully checked before sending them back in Air, because if i am not wrong even a small debris can be cause accidents.
It is hard work to clean up the jets after an open house. The greatest danger is Foreign Object Damage (FOD) because people, especially kids, drops stuff inside the jets. So basically, after the airshow, each airplane is Red X-ed, meaning grounded. Then Maintenance have to do a full inspection before releasing the airplane back to duty. Maintenance also have to do a complete 'FOD Walk' on the flightline to pick up after the public. Everybody in the squadron helps out the post airshow FOD walk. We find anything, from wallets to soda cans and even underwear. The wallets we return to the owners, the underwear we toss in the trash.
What' would be the situation for taking Pictures, I've seen some places which has boards where it mentions no Pictures/drones pass a certain areas, I would expect certain areas will be off limits for Pictures and drones too right? Personally I would prefer that if Armed forces opening their bases for civilians specially for systems like fighter jets they should not allow food/beverages because of the trash it would cause and potential damage to the property of Airbase or etc.

What' would be the situation for taking Pictures, I've seen some places which has boards where it mentions no Pictures/drones pass a certain areas, I would expect certain areas will be off limits for Pictures and drones too right? Personally I would prefer that if Armed forces opening their bases for civilians specially for systems like fighter jets they should not allow food/beverages because of the trash it would cause and potential damage to the property of Airbase or etc.
If someone want a pic of him/her sitting in the cockpit, that will be fine, but we discourage cameras pointing directly into/at the cockpit. If the intake/exhaust are covered, we will not allow anyone to remove the covers. Sometimes we found pitot/static and AoA probes damaged and they must be replaced before flight.

The problem with cockpit FOD is not from food/beverages but from people's pockets. Anything from coins to cell phones to pens to wallets, and so on. Anything metallic can cause shorts or even cut wiring. Anything can bind mechanical linkages like on the control sticks and rudder pedals. Pilots have reported having stuff floated out during maneuvers but much of that came from their own flightsuit pockets like snacks. But overall, issues from open houses are considered worthwhile to earn public support for the military.

There are always volunteers from the squadrons to help out. Dates always resulted for the single people, I can personally attest to that. For unit patches, we have two versions, normally colorful and subdued, so for open houses, we wear the colorful ones. Chicks are ALWAYS attracted to uniforms. Do not wear those so-called 'aviator' sunglasses. Civilians are impressed by those shopping mall 'aviator' sunglasses. Military wears Randolph Engineering sunglasses. Chicks like the REs. I still have mine 30+ yrs old. Overall, open houses are immeasurably important in building relationships with the taxpaying public. The intangible benefits are not known until yrs later and always paid off.

If someone want a pic of him/her sitting in the cockpit, that will be fine, but we discourage cameras pointing directly into/at the cockpit. If the intake/exhaust are covered, we will not allow anyone to remove the covers. Sometimes we found pitot/static and AoA probes damaged and they must be replaced before flight.
I can understand though, technology is sensitive and can be stole or copied by ahm ahm...
The problem with cockpit FOD is not from food/beverages but from people's pockets. Anything from coins to cell phones to pens to wallets, and so on. Anything metallic can cause shorts or even cut wiring. Anything can bind mechanical linkages like on the control sticks and rudder pedals. Pilots have reported having stuff floated out during maneuvers but much of that came from their own flightsuit pockets like snacks. But overall, issues from open houses are considered worthwhile to earn public support for the military.
Just out of curiosity, when a pilot is ready to fly the plane, does it matter if he/she has anything of metal in his fly suit ? or a phone ? can it effect the flying or electronics in any way ? I understand if there is a coin or trash in cockpit and if pilot do the flip that coin or trash can roll over to places within the cockpit causing issue, but how dangerous it would be in pilot carry's something of that sort ?
There are always volunteers from the squadrons to help out. Dates always resulted for the single people, I can personally attest to that. For unit patches, we have two versions, normally colorful and subdued, so for open houses, we wear the colorful ones. Chicks are ALWAYS attracted to uniforms. Do not wear those so-called 'aviator' sunglasses. Civilians are impressed by those shopping mall 'aviator' sunglasses. Military wears Randolph Engineering sunglasses. Chicks like the REs. I still have mine 30+ yrs old. Overall, open houses are immeasurably important in building relationships with the taxpaying public. The intangible benefits are not known until yrs later and always paid off.
Oh the legendary Aviator glasses, I wonder if they are available in shops? Ah Chicks and their attraction to uniforms, its all the same isn't it ? haha but us poor married people have to just watch from a distance and take deep breath hahaha. Its a good idea to bring young boys and girls or even kids to develop interest in them for Armed forces and country in general. My interest in army was built when I as kid once visited Karachi Cantonment and there was this model Tank for Display, everyone was taking pics from the distance, I hop on the fence and climb on the tank, when my parents saw me and try to bring me back the Army guy stopped them saying, let him be and play hahah I was so happy and excited to see a Tank (even though it was a model) and since then my interest was peak for Army, unfortunately my physical heath did not really allowed me to be in Army, and later as life progress I just develop interest for other things as well.

Just out of curiosity, when a pilot is ready to fly the plane, does it matter if he/she has anything of metal in his fly suit ? or a phone ? can it effect the flying or electronics in any way ? I understand if there is a coin or trash in cockpit and if pilot do the flip that coin or trash can roll over to places within the cockpit causing issue, but how dangerous it would be in pilot carry's something of that sort ?
Has to be secured somehow. But usually, the pockets are zippered shut to contain anything within. Other items can be clipped tight to the flightsuit. Cell phone signals do not affect cockpit electronics.

Has to be secured somehow. But usually, the pockets are zippered shut to contain anything within. Other items can be clipped tight to the flightsuit. Cell phone signals do not affect cockpit electronics.
You don't live in Florida don't you ? you were just there for the Air show right ?

You don't live in Florida don't you ? you were just there for the Air show right ?
I was there for the reunion more than the airshow. One of our group is ill with an unknown future diagnosis, so we were there for him. Several others we have not seen in 30 yrs since they shut down Mac back in '94 and turned the base over to NOAA.

Hey Guys, Got a job Offer from Saint Petersburg Florida, I was wondering anyone on here lives or Lived in Florida? I visited Tampa around 3 weeks ago, but I couldn't see the whole of it as it was very limited days visit. How is the Standard of living there ? cost of living (compared to SC) ? Weather ? Muslim community ? Pakistani community ?

@KAL-EL @Meengla @F-22Raptor @Hamartia Antidote @gambit @SQ8 @HAIDER @GumNaam @Sainthood 101
The beach is overrated. Pho is overpriced (the service wanted to charge extra money for fish sause), everything is overpriced. Downtown and surrounding look in movies better, not nice, the haven where boats are ankernd ok. I was there as tourist.
All the best for your job start.

If it's a sexy woman's underwear I would keep it.

Back
Top Bottom