What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

If the initial production is commenced by using existing engines and SSB don't want a cut in serial production period after they have established serial production line, It means the deal with a foreign engine producer are finalised. Most likely, The other details regarding engine deal/integration will be solved in these time scale until production of 4-5 Altays were completed. With this way, New engines will catch the serial production of Altay. At least, That's what I got from the speeches of Mr. Ismail Demir.

If the initial production is commenced by using existing engines and SSB don't want a cut in serial production period after they have established serial production line, It means the deal with a foreign engine producer are finalised. Most likely, The other details regarding engine deal/integration will be solved in these time scale until production of 4-5 Altays were completed. With this way, New engines will catch the serial production of Altay. At least, That's what I got from the speeches of Mr. Ismail Demir.

Sounds like whichever domestic company that is in charge of developing a diesel engine & a transmission can't deliver the powerpack on time. It has to be procured from foreign companies, yet Turkey could not finalize the deal. It also seems like the responsible people are under a lot of pressure to roll out something from the factory. I understand that Turkey is trying to build a very limited number of tanks with spare parts to buy some time until they could get some help from a foreign company over their powerpack issue, but the question is how much time they could buy? 1 year? 2 year? Turkey hasn't even reached a deal with any international partner yet. Either ways, it just means more delay. A significant delay. Even if Turkey is successful in acquiring the engine & the auto tranismission right now, the manufacturers in Turkey have to spend months or years to set up a plant for the powerpack and the tank needs to go through a series of testings with the new powerpack for months, if not years.

I think some officials said they have not only Plan A and B, but also Plan C. I just hope all those alternative plans are feasible and practical as it seems like Turkey is just kicking the can down the road at the moment. I wish the best for Altay MBT project.

Acc to some twitter accounts that is giving reference to Ismail Demir, T0 for Altay-T1 were commenced.

upload_2020-6-22_1-50-36.jpeg

1033296175-0-13-1280-706-1000x0-80-0-1-8dba98adb6057f1ecb86ccd2d5019b36.jpg

Which Altay do you prefer ? Otokar Altay, Bmc Altay, Altay AHT

-----------

My vote goes to Bmc Altay it is more battle survival tank and he give a same amount of importance firepower, maneuvrability and armor but if I'm take a 1000 altay I would buy 200 Altay aht-800 Bmc Altay . Just because Bmc Altay Offensive Tank. But if you want a tank for making trenchs with sand and make a protection for attacking altays from back or for base defense you need Altay Aht Tank.

Yeah,just forget the Altay project.
All these dumb excuses to avoid telling the truth,they fvcked up the project but wont admit it.

Too much money have got involved in. Also, political leverages and risks. Whatever the truth, it seems the Turkish government simply can't publicly admit what exactly has happened to their MBT project. When Germany had imposed arms embargo on Turkey, any significant delay or even potential cancellation of the project was inevitable. However, Turkish officials boldly claimed that they had viable alternatives and Turkish people just believed what their government said. I think this is one of main reasons why Turkey's officials are not disclosing what are their 'Plan A, B and C' and trying their best to keep their citizens guessing on powerpack.

As long as the Turkish government doesn't admit what's obvious to spectators with no vested interest in the project, Turkish taxpayers will continue to speculate on powerpack and write & talk a fantasy over a MBT that may even never enter mass-production (not just 4~5 tanks, but actual mass-production) as Turkey doesn't have either domestic technologies (particularly engines, transmissions and ) or monies to do so.

It is a tragedy.

Too much money have got involved in. Also, political leverages and risks. Whatever the truth, it seems the Turkish government simply can't publicly admit what exactly has happened to their MBT project. When Germany had imposed arms embargo on Turkey, any significant delay or even potential cancellation of the project was inevitable. However, Turkish officials boldly claimed that they had viable alternatives and Turkish people just believed what their government said. I think this is one of main reasons why Turkey's officials are not disclosing what are their 'Plan A, B and C' and trying their best to keep their citizens guessing on powerpack.

As long as the Turkish government doesn't admit what's obvious to spectators with no vested interest in the project, Turkish taxpayers will continue to speculate on powerpack and write & talk a fantasy over a MBT that may even never enter mass-production (not just 4~5 tanks, but actual mass-production) as Turkey doesn't have either domestic technologies (particularly engines, transmissions and ) or monies to do so.

It is a tragedy.

Turkish medium tank project with Indonesia on the other hand is quite successful. There is no armed embargo although the engine comes from USA.

1033296175-0-13-1280-706-1000x0-80-0-1-8dba98adb6057f1ecb86ccd2d5019b36.jpg

Which Altay do you prefer ? Otokar Altay, Bmc Altay, Altay AHT

-----------

My vote goes to Bmc Altay it is more battle survival tank and he give a same amount of importance firepower, maneuvrability and armor but if I'm take a 1000 altay I would buy 200 Altay aht-800 Bmc Altay . Just because Bmc Altay Offensive Tank. But if you want a tank for making trenchs with sand and make a protection for attacking altays from back or for base defense you need Altay Aht Tank.
Eh? What are the differences of the three?

Altay-T1 is a sexy beast although It has a bad destiny. I hope Altay will gain the respect that she deserve.

upload_2020-6-22_14-13-26.jpeg

I really don't like the idea of putting ammo in the hull for the sake of crew survivability after penetration and salvagebility of the tank. All fielded MBT's suffer from this except for the Abrams. An Abrams like ammo load-out and compartimentalization is the safest option out there but it looks like the European and eastern tank design are favored in the rest of the world, including Turkey. The Turks learned the hard way in Syria and most probably had to re-design the Altay completely. The first tranche will be conventional but later tranches will most probably be a different design all together, at least seperating the crew from the ammo completely a la T-14.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom