What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

So instead of designing a 65+ tonnes of tank that is practically too heavy to operate effectively in most of Anatolia; we should have rather focused on designing a lighter tank with a more survivable architecture as is the case in Israeli tanks

Israeli tanks have among the worst power/weight ratio of any tank, they are known for being overweight and almost immobile in hilly areas.

and we have to wait BMC for obvious reasons to cope up with problems it has created

You people live in an alternate reality.

Israeli tanks have among the worst power/weight ratio of any tank, they are known for being overweight and almost immobile in hilly areas.

Merkava is an overrated POS.

Only way of decreaseing weight of altay without loose armour protection is change to turret manned to unmanned. Autoloader generally gives a tanks 5-6 tonnes weight loss on the other hand if turret is unmanned he's body area square is decreasing this decrease to amount of armor must be used for protection in the end if we will use 120 mm L/55 unmanned turret with same amount of frontal protection we will decrease the weight of tank 10-12 tonnes I think. İf we decrease to turret armor like russians weight loss will be 18-20 tonnes.

So I'm on the option of just using unmanned turret without any armor protection loose on turret . Altay weight will be decrease 54-55 tonnes. A ariete tank is 54 tonnes and powered by 1270 hp engine speed is 65 km/h who same speed with we want a 65 tonnes altay tank.

I cited Merkava for its survivability not its weight. And yes thats what I've been trying to explain, our country is hilly and heavy MBTs don't cut it, read it carefully. Pardon my english if it was my mistake.

Okay, alternate reality it is. ;)

Why Altay is not entering production ??? What are the issues, I seriously hope Altay doesn't have same fate as India's Arjun had.

Engine issue. No europower pack, no tank. Also political issue and outdate desing issue here.

Engine issue. No europower pack, no tank. Also political issue and outdate desing issue here.
Everything stands or failes with the engine, wihtout engine you can just speculate and thats wrong. When TR can say we have our own engine, doesn't matter how powerfull, in that moment you can start thinking to produce the tank. At the present moment western "allies", especially Germany, are stalling Turkey by rejecting to delivere motor and transmission so they hope TR gov. will fail, a new gov. will be submissive to them again and stop all domestic developments and buy again their overpriced 3 grade stuff.

[...]At the present moment western "allies", especially Germany, are stalling Turkey by rejecting to delivere motor and transmission so they hope TR gov. will fail, a new gov. will be submissive to them again and stop all domestic developments and buy again their overpriced 3 grade stuff.
omg - that was just on point

How many are going to get modernized?

Probably all of them, doubt there's any point leaving them naked - that is unless there is a different type of upgrade already in planning stage.

But honestly I think we should upgrade all of them. They are sitting ducks in their current form.

Back
Top Bottom