What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

-Roketsan BKM carried out ballistic armour conceptual design for Leopard-2NG and M-60 tanks modernization projects of Aselsan.

Will the M-60 Tanks recieve a Similar Upgrade like Sabra-III by Aselsan and Roketsan ?

Will the M-60 Tanks recieve a Similar Upgrade like Sabra-III by Aselsan and Roketsan ?

I don't suppose Turkish army wants more upgraded M-60 tanks, While brend-new and superior Altay is getting on the stage slowly. Upgrading FCS and armours of M-60 tanks doesn't enough to make it a powerfull tanks. It is needed to change suspension/motor and gun which costs too much for an upgrade program.

Turkish and Russian tank concepts are reflecting the different sides of a hill so The requirements of costumers will play a key role in tenders.

Russian tanks can't be on par with Turkish Altay in terms of protection. 64 tonnes Altay with tonnes of reactive, modular and composite armours at each side provides better protection than any Russian tanks that have a weight of 48 tonnes. They are like advanced heavy IFV of NATO.

In terms of FCS; Aselsan optics, thermal detector technology, tank command/control computer and advanced electronic circuits are proceeding one step ahead of rivals in terms of generation/first shot hitting probability/nigh hiting precisious/detection range/firing on move. Aselsan claims that Altay FCS is better than the one Leopard 2A6 have at present.

In terms of mobility:

Power to Weight ratio (T-90S Azerbaijan has): 1000hp/48tonnes: 20,83 hp/t
Power to Wieght ratio (Altay): 1500hp/64 tonnes: 23,43 hp/t
Power to Weight ratio (Leopard 2A6): 1500hp/63 tonnes: 23,80hp/t
Power to weight ratio (M1A2): 1500hp/68 tonnes: 22,05hp/t

Speed (T-90S): 60-65km/h
Speed (Altay): 70-75 km/h
Speed (Leopard 2A6): 70-75 km/h
Speed (M1A2): 70/75km/h

None of the T-series tanks are a match for their Western counterparts and of course Altay.

All the best with Altay brothers, I can't wait to see the first batch of tanks roar out and into the Turkish countryside.

Last edited:
I don't suppose Turkish army wants more upgraded M-60 tanks, While brend-new and superior Altay is getting on the stage slowly. Upgrading FCS and armours of M-60 tanks doesn't enough to make it a powerfull tanks. It is needed to change suspension/motor and gun which costs too much for an upgrade program.
If they upgrade they won't upgrade many imo.

Israel is still fitting their M60 with modern weapon systems.. Though, the most recent iteration of M60 is with a mock-up main gun and a bunch of Spike-NLOS missiles in the turret..
tamuztank11yp03.jpg

Israel is still fitting their M60 with modern weapon systems.. Though, the most recent iteration of M60 is with a mock-up main gun and a bunch of Spike-NLOS missiles in the turret..
tamuztank11yp03.jpg
If they thought that the tank was worth upgrading then it must be worth upgrading.

@500 opinions?

tamuztank11yp03.jpg

actually it's magach 5 based on m48a5. idf uses them as missile carriers lol, the only indicator of spike being curved antenna of nlos system in the rear.

If they thought that the tank was worth upgrading then it must be worth upgrading.

@500 opinions?

Faark the 2nd gen tanks man.... they arent worth it... unless you are suffering from an economic crunch...

Turkish and Russian tank concepts are reflecting the different sides of a hill so The requirements of costumers will play a key role in tenders.

Russian tanks can't be on par with Turkish Altay in terms of protection. 64 tonnes Altay with tonnes of reactive, modular and composite armours at each side provides better protection than any Russian tanks that have a weight of 48 tonnes. They are like advanced heavy IFV of NATO.

In terms of FCS; Aselsan optics, thermal detector technology, tank command/control computer and advanced electronic circuits are proceeding one step ahead of rivals in terms of generation/first shot hitting probability/nigh hiting precisious/detection range/firing on move. Aselsan claims that Altay FCS is better than the one Leopard 2A6 have at present.

In terms of mobility:

Power to Weight ratio (T-90S Azerbaijan has): 1000hp/48tonnes: 20,83 hp/t
Power to Wieght ratio (Altay): 1500hp/64 tonnes: 23,43 hp/t
Power to Weight ratio (Leopard 2A6): 1500hp/63 tonnes: 23,80hp/t
Power to weight ratio (M1A2): 1500hp/68 tonnes: 22,05hp/t

Speed (T-90S): 60-65km/h
Speed (Altay): 70-75 km/h
Speed (Leopard 2A6): 70-75 km/h
Speed (M1A2): 70/75km/h

dang ...

AK:

1)1200 hp/46-48 tons:26:1 hp/t
2)70+ km/h... Acceleration speed: 0-32km/h = 10 seconds..

:D

Bye bye t-90 ..

Last edited:
tamuztank11yp03.jpg

There is no need to heavyly modify old M-48 to launch NLOS Variant of Mizrak Missiles, this Job can do a Truck, 4 X 4 LAV like Cobra-II or a modified tracked armoured Vehicle !

Its not a tank, its a missile platform disguised as tank. ;)

Can you pls provide more details about this variant (how many missiles,specific role,numbers of them in the IDF ) and tell me if the same concept could be implemented on a T55 chassis ? Thanks in advance.

There are some rumours that Azerbaycan ordered 200 ALTAYs but i don't believe it... Even we didn't order ALTAYs yet....

BTW i wanna ask a question... If i'm wrong please correct me...

There will be 3rd & 4th prototypes... These 2 prototypes will be evaluated and we will achieve 5th and final prototype...

Am i right ?..

Can you pls provide more details about this variant (how many missiles,specific role,numbers of them in the IDF )
The Tamuz (Spike NLOS) launcher based on M113 was unveiled in 2011:

35km_spike.jpg

It has crew of 4 men (driver, commander, 2 operators). 6 ready to launch missiles + 4 in APC.

The Tamuz launcher based on M48 tank was not officially revealed. But based on pics it has 12 ready to launch missiles.

spike-magach.jpg

Most probably it also has 4 men crew and several additional missiles in vehicle.

Tamuz missiles have 25 km range (recently upgraded to 30 km) and TV/IR guidance with datalink. Their main mission is long range anti tank. But can be used against buildings as well.

and tell me if the same concept could be implemented on a T55 chassis ? Thanks in advance.
Sure why should be a problem.

There are some rumours that Azerbaycan ordered 200 ALTAYs but i don't believe it... Even we didn't order ALTAYs yet....

BTW i wanna ask a question... If i'm wrong please correct me...

There will be 3rd & 4th prototypes... These 2 prototypes will be evaluated and we will achieve 5th and final prototype...

Am i right ?..
Azerbaijan ordered lots of T-90 recently, so unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom