What's new

Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft by 2018

India making a 5th gen fighter in less than 5 years?

This got to be the joke of the century。

You lot have no idea what a 5th jet is all about。

Make FOC for Teja LCA by 2018 first。:rofl:

Good to know that they are planning to begin the design of AMCA. LCA is now nearly ready and the work load for it is not very extensive. Now rather chewing paans or knitting the sweaters, it is a good idea to start working on AMCA and use the momentum gained by LCA project to quickly get a workable design and improve on it.

Until unless the running projects doesn't suffer, there is no harm in starting the new ones.

Idea of copy paste is definitely not
:yes4:

Either you don't know what is going here or you are deliberately trolling.. If you are chinese member then this post is not for you...

The talk is about TD1, Not FoC..

Can anybody pls tell me what kind of engine we are proposing for AMCA or even planning? do we intend to use AL 31 or its variants series.. In that case, do we mean to imply that super cruise technology will be based on imported engines like LCA depending on GE 404 or 414 engine kits? If we are saying our own engine, which one is that??

Is stealth the only feature required? hiding from radar surveillance - In DRDO terms that is low RCS.. or are we taking abt a internal weapons bay like PAKFA?

A medium class aircraft - how many are required for our operational purposes? this is to understand that rafale is also expected to be with us in close to 200 in numbers including the follow on order..

IAF will nvr remove light class.. LCA can be phased out with sumth else or later evolved versions of LCA but mark my words.. it will nvr remove that.. the utilisation benefits of a low cost light class bird is well documented within the operational strategy of IAF.

Probably Kaveri Snecma or more powerful variant of M-88-2.

AL-31 FP is a large engine meant for heavy flanker. It will not fit into smaller AMCA.

The 19th April, 2012 and 5th January, 2014 are having combined effect I guess. :P

:victory:

awesome news indeed ... that means, if it is true, we will be getting Tejas mk2 + AMCA side by side ...

@IND151
thanks for tagging ...

LCA will be serve as MACA when induct to India air force in 2018. Not mistaken this dream of India indigenous build LCA/MACA with 3rd generation fighter jet. Just a label proud Indian will call LCA as a MACA.

Which LCA in this world is twin engined? Idiot.

2018 ie in just 4 years that too by DRDO??

U got to be kidding me:rofl::rofl::rofl:

For that sake u cant keep on making new projects and wasting the money and time.. whats the point of facilitating a design if IAF does nt feel the requirement.. if it feels it wud have publically endorsed the need of AMCA and stated it to be the need of the hour.. did they do that? no they did nt...

we can be all saying big things but then
You’ve got to think about big things while you’re doing small things, so that all the small things go in the right direction.”
-------- by Alvin Toffler

What this article and DRDO intentions mean just the opposite

2018 is the same time frame when LCA Mk II will come into production. If at the same time AMCA can promise more, we can curtail the Mk II number and invest in AMCA. That way we dont have to think about Mk III stealthy version of LCA.

AMCA will have twin engine that will give supercruise capability. Rest stealth was already planned for Mk III. So I am all for it. If DRDO has resources to work on twin engine airframe then why to wait for 2018 when Mk III will be started?

2018 ie in just 4 years that too by DRDO??

U got to be kidding me:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Its close to 5 years. Also when you create one fighter second become easy. 5 year is just to come up with prototype. It takes 4-5 more years for final version.

Just look at PAKFA. We have 8 prototypes flying now still one or two more to come before PAKFA goes into production in 2016.

Yes 5 year time is ambitious but certainly not laughable. Lot of design work is already been done so its not that in 5 years we are gonna come up with a fighter. Add 2-3 past year as well.

@Srinivas : I will suggest you to refer old @sancho and @gambit posts.. :) But my understanding says your idea will not work...

Thats true you cant make stealth fighter out of non stealthy one. That takes different intake designs, frontal nose design, engine tail hide and weapon bay.

But you can surely make non stealth plane "stealthier" just like Su 35.

1. It may be GE414IN engine, Later Indian engine. Till date there is no plan for Russing engine. Kaveri will be improved to match new requirement (Todays Kavery is equivalent (doesn't mean equal) to GE404).

2. It will VLO with internal bay (That was the last IAF requirement). Unless Notorious IAF change its requirements, there is no change in design.

3. We need 42.5 Squadron (18-22 planes per Squad). I am not sure about how many will be light, medium or heavy class fighter. I will suggest some expert to shade light on it.

4. That was my view. May be you are right India will not phase out light weight fighter. Light weight fighter has many advantages, low price, low maintenance, less loading time etc.. I truly can't be sure about future.

1- Could be Snecma as well. I doubt we will want more US stuff, also we will be building Snecma M88 for Rafale by then.

2- It will have internal weapon way. No other ways about it.

3- A cut in FGFA order may be observed if AMCA performs well so that may lead to 8-10 sqd of FGFA, 12 sqd of MKI, 3 sqd of Mig 29, 7 sqd of Rafale, 2 sqd LCA Mk I, 5 sqd LCA Mk II. Rest and future need will be covered by AMCA. Migs/Su phasing out and furthen increase in sqdn strengths.

4- Light weight are good for south india for interception. We dont have real threats there so no point in placing heavy weight fighters there. They serve the purpose of low cost and sufficient defence.

As i understood, they are looking for an engine that can give AMCA supercruise speed (i.e. flying at supersonic without afterburner).

Options are very limited:

Snecma M88 (used in Dassault Rafale) === France
Pratt & Whitney F119 (used in F-22 Raptor) === USA
EJ200 (used in Eurofighter Typhoon) === France
AL-41 (developing for in FGFA / PAK FA) === Russia/India
General Electric F414G (used in Gripen NG) === USA

things are good here...

they start Amca at right time.. , Lca is a bit late in induction.
We cannot take the foot, out of pedal, when we have to catch up China..

Amca when it doesn't need reheat from its engine and dry thrust is all that's needed, will twin Kaveri be able to perform enough ?

the vehicle is expected to be ready in 2018, Dr Tamilmani, Director General (Aeronautical Systems) DRDO, Bangalore has said.

Typical DRDO nonsense! We can be happy if they get LCA MK2 ready by then and they dream about a stealth fighter prototype by 2018, based on what they have "learned" and where they have failed in the LCA project? They are fooling themself and the public, nothing else.

You are not able to develop LCA by now and you are talking about MCA man you seriously know how to waste money @Aeronaut

Back
Top Bottom