What's new

ABC News: China has a scary dragon stamp

Can't believe the Chinese are scared of their own dragon.

The following Chinese American girl has a good summary (Quote from Yahoo comment). BTW, "scare me to death" is just Chinese way of saying "my Goodness".

Michelle Lu3 days ago

Okay. I don't think many people understand that it's not about the dragon being scary (which is a really stupid comment, by the way) that the Chinese people are complaining about. It's the concept behind it! ...and somewhat the appearance.
During Chinese New Year we are not celebrating the "rise of China's self-confidence", we are supposed to be celebrating new luck, new fortune, new health, new love, and...well...a new year. If China wants to celebrate their rise of whatever, then save it for their national holiday! This is not the time!
Also, Chinese dragons are supposed to be strong and lively looking. Unlike European dragons, they are supposed to help people, be friendly looking, and are considered heavenly creatures. What the Chinese people are complaining about is that this dragon looks kind of on the ugly side and it has what my folks called a "bitter-face". In Chinese New Year, Chinese people (especially the superstitious ones) want a happy, lively dragon and not a "bitter-face" one because it might bring bad luck and an unfortunate future. We want happy, smiles, optimism, YAY!

Anyway... Thanks for those who took the time to read my comment/ rant. I know it's very time consuming and not many people have that kind of patience (including myself), so thanks again. You make me feel... special.
Also, if you would ask any other ACTUAL or traditional thinking Chinese person out there about what they thought of the stamp, they would most likely give the same response as what I did here. My comment is not an opinion, it is an actual fact because this is how most Chinese people view things.
...And for those who are curious, I am actually pure-blood Chinese. However, I'm not from China or Taiwan and neither is anyone in my family. Chinese people identify themselves base on their ancestry background rather than the location of where they were born (I know, it's a bit confusing). I also don't speak Mandarin, I speak American English and Cantonese (but I'm not from Hong Kong or Canton). And hey... I'm not Communist.

Happy Chinese New Year everyone! ... it's on January 23rd this year!

Just goes to show that people do not read before they start griping and ended up making fools out of themselves.

Chinese interpretation of Dragon vary from person to person, there are vicious dragon, dragon of luck, devine dragon and many other kinds. I think the only reason why some people find a dragon scary is that he does not know much about dragons and their historical meanings.

Tell you what is more funny. Indians are scared of beef served on a platter.
For anyone not scared, they have to be in jail for a minimum of seven years :lol:

You got your sacred and scared mixed up I think. Try again, this time with your eyes open.

India's national animal is Tiger.
\
While Pakistan's national animal is a goat called MAR Khor:lol:

Two can play this game:azn:

Goats are environmentally friendly and I'd love my children to spend time with goats. I would not let them near a tiger. Raising a tiger takes the meat of 1000 goats yet only 1 goat can ram a tiger to death.

and?

who does he work for?

answer this, are kenyans liable for what obama does? it doesn't matter if he is chinese. wait actually, it does, how can anyone put the blame on the western media if the news article was written by a non-white person? even better, put out a propaganda piece about china and use a chinese person to do it - perfect.

If you think it's so effective to use a Chinese person to spew "propaganda" about China, why don't the Chinese use white people to criticize America or the West whenever they do?

BTW, I think the piece is ridiculous also, but it doesn't make it propaganda. The author is just terrible at his job.

Over 90% of the Chinese think this design is awesome, please don't overrepresent us with few idiots out there.

Why the Western media always like to cherry pick?

Just few people complain, then the headline is about every Chinese being unhappy?

How about the OWS? Can i say that all Americans are part of the 99% of the OWS movement?

Over 90% of the Chinese think this design is awesome, please don't overrepresent us with few idiots out there.

Why the Western media always like to cherry pick?

Just few people complain, then the headline is about every Chinese being unhappy?

How about the OWS? Can i say that all Americans are part of the 99% of the OWS movement?

It was the Chinese media who reported this first.

Back
Top Bottom