What's new

Military Mess Food

Acha, normally dishes heavy hoti hain ya light? Like biryani pulao waghera ya phir daal chawal ?

Scheduled hota hoga right? “Aj sharaft se daal khalo, kal biryani banadonga tumharay liye” :lol::lol:

Man, these messes are boring, went once, got bored, told My Allah hafiz then :D

Aur nashtay mein halwa puri waghera ya anday ?
I'd say the food is on the heavy side. And it has a direct effect on the lifestyle I'd say. As normally the physical fitness of the average PAF pilot reduces with time. However that's not a testament to their flying abilities, but definitely has an effect on them stopping or reducing flying earlier in their careers. Have a look at PAF's senior leadership as an example.

We often get these questions during the rishta process from aunties and girls who're fascinated by the military charm. Is something like that going on? Are you marrying an officer or someone else you know, bro? :D I'm kidding.

Each force's mess is a little different and each force has their own traditions. We have a manager and members who help devise the food menu keeping in view nutritional requirements, local produce available, number of mess staff, gas etc., so you'd find a wide ranging menu.

If the mess is big such as of a base or brig hq then you'd have something akin to a self-service mode. Usually juniors take their food but seniors are served by a waiter even if it's self service. If the mess is small then you can have custom orders and also depends on working routines, sometimes you can't go to the mess so the food'd come to you.

The food is like the food you eat. Eggs and roti/ bread/ paratha for breakfast (If you want you can order a cereal too but usually forces sees a heavy breakfast because who doesn't? lol) lunch is usually a vegetable based dish such as daal, maybe haleem, masar chawal etc., lunch is protein based, qarai, boneless handi, etc.,

Once every week we've burgers, pizza, lasagna etc (western crusine)
And Army, Navy or Air Force. Friday, lunch is the biryani and if your mess can make good biryani, you'd be the envy of other set ups.
Actually i was feeling hungry at that time, watching the Ration pack video on youtube :-)

Jo bhi hai un bechaaro ko spoons and forks se khana parta hai
Mess uniform isn’t allowed to eat at random places to honor the code. Nothing below I think 4 or 5 star

We often get these questions during the rishta process from aunties and girls who're fascinated by the military charm. Is something like that going on? Are you marrying an officer or someone else you know, bro? :D I'm kidding.
Allah na kare, no officer if I am not an officer myself :-).

I'd say the food is on the heavy side. And it has a direct effect on the lifestyle I'd say. As normally the physical fitness of the average PAF pilot reduces with time. However that's not a testament to their flying abilities, but definitely has an effect on them stopping or reducing flying earlier in their careers. Have a look at PAF's senior leadership as an example.
They are still well maintained as compared to Army Gen level officers.

Field food is very different.
Actually i was feeling hungry at that time, watching the Ration pack video on youtube :-)

Mess uniform isn’t allowed to eat at random places to honor the code. Nothing below I think 4 or 5 star

Allah na kare, no officer if I am not an officer myself :-).

We've a range of options, usually dried-food cans (made for the area and requirement in mind) if the environment is hostile or a budget and the initiative of the field officer / snr most J/NCO
Can you expand on it please?

Usually people prefer to be given the freedom because a lot of people in the military develop into good cooks especially those who're on the field a lot. So they can make wonders and usually each detachment or section has one or two amazing cooks. So you take some wood, some petrol from your car, use your lighter and enjoy fresh food on the open fire and then some delicious tea with smokes.

Those were the days....

Usually people prefer to be given the freedom because a lot of people in the military develop into good cooks especially those who're on the field a lot. So they can make wonders and usually each detachment or section has one or two amazing cooks. So you take some wood, some petrol from your car, use your lighter and enjoy fresh food on the open fire and then some delicious tea with smokes.

Those were the days....
Fantastic*

Completely wrong.

It's the stress that gets to them, not the food. Working 18-22 hrs is normal. It's not that they eat a lot. They're constantly under stress. Military profession is the top rated in terms of how stressful it is.

Secondly, maintaining your weight is a requirement for promotion. Those who rise up usually have health conditions affecting them and their bodies are battered but it's their mind that we need. The snr ldrshp commands, the young must fight.

Thirdly, PAF's standards for pilots every year are infamous in the entire armed forces for being the most stringent standards to pass.

Fourth, all militaries have a proper fitness test taken under supervision at least twice a year and you've never felt the dread of completing that. It's something that stays with you since your cadet days. Sir Sohail Aman used to give the tests with PAF personnel a couple of months before his retirement.

Completely wrong.

It's the stress that gets to them, not the food. Working 18-22 hrs is normal. It's not that they eat a lot. They're constantly under stress. Military profession is the top rated in terms of how stressful it is.

Secondly, maintaining your weight is a requirement for promotion. Those who rise up usually have health conditions affecting them and their bodies are battered but it's their mind that we need. The snr ldrshp commands, the young must fight.

Thirdly, PAF's standards for pilots every year are infamous in the entire armed forces for being the most stringent standards to pass.

Fourth, all militaries have a proper fitness test taken under supervision at least twice a year and you've never felt the dread of completing that. It's something that stays with you since your cadet days. Sir Sohail Aman used to give the tests with PAF personnel a couple of months before his retirement.
Stress is the biggest cause why man develop overeating habit over time, also it has to do with hormone cortisol, it triggers underbelly growth, Either you are a married and a “satisfied:-)” man that your underbelly starts to come out or that you overeat

It's not overeating it's that the body goes haywire. The military calculates calories as well. It's not just over eating :) It's mostly cortisol as you've named. Married men suffer the most because bhabi's don't usually let them eat healthy (for us healthy = tasty) :D
Stress is the biggest cause why man develop overeating habit over time, also it has to do with hormone cortisol, it triggers underbelly growth, Either you are a married and a “satisfied:-)” man that your underbelly starts to come out or that you overeat

Back
Top Bottom