What's new

Why Punjabis in Pakistan Have Abandoned Punjabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
What utter tatti.

My family is from Kashmir and over the years branches have expanded into all sorts of areas of punjab. Those in the potwari region speak that and those near Dinga, Kharian, etc all speak Punjabi. I don't even pretend to understand the full fledge punjabi some of them speak.

For me both hindi and urdu are one and the same..no linguist considers them as two different languages.
Ok for your sake, i will accept urdu is a different language than hindi...tell me why do educated people talk in urdu in pak? Why is talking in punjabi considered as cheap? I read many articles of pakistanis which say that speaking in punjabi in public is considered demeaning..people who talk punjabi in public are called gawara..
If punjabi isnt a village or unedcuated version of urdu why isnt it taught in schools?
Why dont poets write poems in punjabi?why are your poets like iqbal and faiz ahmad faiz write in urdu and not punjabi?
Why do proceedings in punjab assembly happen in urdu and not punjabi?
Sindh,baloch and pashto is taught in schools..they have great poets...their assemblies are run in those languages..because those languages have that air of formality..a royal history...punjabi for the most part was just a broken dialect of hindustani.
Educated punjabis know that..thats why nobody talks in punjabi in public.

They don't - they talk in all sorts of languages, Urdu is the national language, it is a common language used by Muslims in our region, hence why it was selected as the national language. It's role over the centuries has been as a common language.

As for a lack of Punjabi poetry, well you've just shown your lack of education on the matter. Mian Muhammad Bakhsh, Bulleh Shah? How can you be unaware of such great names and consider yourself an authority to speak about Punjabi?

They don't - they talk in all sorts of languages, Urdu is the national language, it is a common language used by Muslims in our region, hence why it was selected as the national language. It's role over the centuries has been as a common language.

As for a lack of Punjabi poetry, well you've just shown your lack of education on the matter. Mian Muhammad Bakhsh, Bulleh Shah? How can you be unaware of such great names and consider yourself an authority to speak about Punjabi?
Bulle shah was not a recent poet..talk about some famous punkabi poet in last hundred years

To be honest punjabi sounds like a village version of hindustani...it doesnt have that dignified sound like say hindi gujarati marathi or south indian languages.
I think that is the reason it is abandoned by educated people.
you are racist

jab tak punjabi main gali na do gali ka maza hi nhi aata :lol:

Bulle shah was not a recent poet..talk about some famous punkabi poet in last hundred years

LOL - So Shakespeare is invalidated by his age too? English must be worthless as nobody has reached his peak yet again?

Mian Muhammad Bakhsh is a "recent" poet btw. His works are recited by people by heart in gatherings today.

Why don't you google, instead of digging deeper and deeper into a pit of stupidity.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=punjabi+poets+pakistan

Both my father's and mother's family had to sacrifice a lot of agricultural land to come here, especially my mother's family. Sadly we were never compensated when we came here unlike many others who were compensates land here.
My grandfather(who was married to my grandmother at the time) was well off. They both came to Pakistan leaving everything behind...and weren't compensated...they started from scratch again.

For me both hindi and urdu are one and the same..no linguist considers them as two different languages.
Ok for your sake, i will accept urdu is a different language than hindi...tell me why do educated people talk in urdu in pak? Why is talking in punjabi considered as cheap? I read many articles of pakistanis which say that speaking in punjabi in public is considered demeaning..people who talk punjabi in public are called gawara..
If punjabi isnt a village or unedcuated version of urdu why isnt it taught in schools?
Why dont poets write poems in punjabi?why are your poets like iqbal and faiz ahmad faiz write in urdu and not punjabi?
Why do proceedings in punjab assembly happen in urdu and not punjabi?Why arent there any news channels in punjabi?why arent there any movies or entertainment channels in punjabi?
Sindhi,balochi and pashto are taught in schools..they have great poets...their assemblies are run in those languages..because those languages have that air of formality..a royal history...punjabi for the most part was just a broken dialect of hindustani.
Educated punjabis know that..thats why nobody talks in punjabi in public.
I am a Punjabi and Urdu speaker(grew up in Lahore). The notion is wrong that Punjabi is considered cheap.

Just like each language has its own characteristics ...a characteristic of Urdu is formality. The way u address ur elders, teachers, etc. is different than the way u address ur friends and so on. Punjabi doesn't have many different levels of such formality and is relatively blunt(not disrespectful but blunt...as compared to Urdu). For example when I speak to my parents...I speak in Urdu...when I want to insult a Desi...I insult them in punjabi...when I speak to a gora American here...I speak in English. A language is just a tool...a means of communication...no need to start making it an issue.

As for Urdu/Hindi being one language...
...they are referred to as "mutually intelligible"...but Hindi is definitely bastardized version of Urdu.

I am a Punjabi and Urdu speaker(grew up in Lahore). The notion is wrong that Punjabi is considered cheap.

Just like each language has its own characteristics ...a characteristic of Urdu is formality. The way u address ur elders, teachers, etc. is different than the way u address ur friends and so on. Punjabi doesn't have many different levels of such formality and is relatively blunt(not disrespectful but blunt...as compared to Urdu). For example when I speak to my parents...I speak in Urdu...when I want to insult a Desi...I insult them in punjabi...when I speak to a gora American here...I speak in English. A language is just a tool...a means of communication...no need to start making it an issue.

...they are referred to as "mutually intelligible"...but Hindi is definitely bastardized version of Urdu.
Couldn't agree more. Urdu is the true heir to Hindustani. Creating Hindi was a miserable attempt, they replaced most of the Hindustani words by Sanskrit words. Most Hindi speaking Indians don't even speak standard Hindi but instead they speak Hindustani and call it Hindi.

So punjabi is language of insult for you?
I talk with my parents and other elders in punjabi.they dont feel disrespect.
Maybe you dont know how to speak in punjabi with respected manners.dont insult my language.if you dont know how to speak its your problem.urdu is also blunt.

So punjabi is language of insult for you?
I talk with my parents and other elders in punjabi.they dont feel disrespect.
Maybe you dont know how to speak in punjabi with respected manners.dont insult my language.if you dont know how to speak its your problem.urdu is also blunt.
U need to comprehend what I said...before u run ur mouth.
"Punjabi doesn't have many different levels of such formality and is relatively blunt(not disrespectful but blunt...as compared to Urdu)."

Do u know how comparisons work?

And what do u mean "don't insult my language?" Who made u the owner...I'm also a Punjabi u moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom