What's new

Why Pakistan’s army is more popular than its politicians

On topic:

Pak Fauj Zindabad!

What a great slogan, it is holding the country together, no doubt. Hence, criticism should be directed at the last reserves of cohesion that is sorely needed given the present circumstances.

History shows Both Politician and army enjoyed corruption, but there is less corruption in Pak army due to discipline in the army. I think the Nation is responsible for this because they vote for corrupted leaders and they are focused on Family Based politics.PlusPAK Nation never learns from Past mistakes. Famous quote saying to "Pakistan"
"As you sow so shall you reap"
Let see. What Nation does in 2013 election.

Gosh damn it, PakMil is sure popular.. :D

A man saw 3 parrots for sale in a pet shop.
He was shocked by abnormally high price of the parrots.
Pet-shop owner said: The first parrot is for 15 thousand. He can operate Windows XP & Vista and use MS Office.
Second Parrot is for 25 thousand. He is a computer programmer & system analyst.
The last parrot carried a price tag of 50 thousand.
Man: What does he do?
Owner: To be honest, he does nothing.
But the other two parrots call him COLONEL SAAB.

(SMS)

Gosh damn it, PakMil is sure popular.. :D

A man saw 3 parrots for sale in a pet shop.
He was shocked by abnormally high price of the parrots.
Pet-shop owner said: The first parrot is for 15 thousand. He can operate Windows XP & Vista and use MS Office.
Second Parrot is for 25 thousand. He is a computer programmer & system analyst.
The last parrot carried a price tag of 50 thousand.
Man: What does he do?
Owner: To be honest, he does nothing.
But the other two parrots call him COLONEL SAAB.

(SMS)

its rare joke can be fit on anyone:lol:

The army and politicians both are very unpopular...

Firstly you suggested we have sour grapes. This is a phrase reserved for people that want something others have and cant have hence decide that its not worth having after all. This is complete twaddle.
wrong again. that phrase is reserved for people who pretend not to care for something they can't have. you can't have a lasting and stable civilian government so you don't like it or care about it. hence sour grapes. bad student indeed.

You are suggesting India has something that we want and then you attempt to pretend you didnt mean that?
when did i mention India? read my post again. and learn the meaning of sour grapes. being a bad student is haunting you.

our forefathers sacrificed so so much
what its got to do with this topic?

the last thing we want is the secular method of government your country has to offer.
India is not offering you anything. where did you get that part?
I dont wish to talk about your government - its off topic and that would be trolling - something you seem to have a degree in.
i'm telling you again- if i'm trolling then mods will ban me. you seriously need to get a life.
Everytime the country has been led by the army our economy and country has done well - hence i commend the army.
this is the only thing you posted on topic. your army was in power half of your existence and couldn't save you from getting into mess. in fact your mushy has got you in this mess. and where is the development which you claim to be brought by the army? why preferential treatment?

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Why are you so obsessed with our nation? Whether we have a civilian government or army - is the obssession so deep you have to be on here having wet dreams of fascination?

oh boy- you're off topic again. what i do on my own time is none of your concern. this is a public forum where everyone has a say. do you know what is a public forum? did you go through the terms and conditions before joining? genius?

It will improve and your dream of obssession will gog on and on and on. Now take your trolling and park it where the sun shine.
again- do you know what are the mods for? is it the first time you are on a public forum? read the topic and reply on that if you have something to say or you can join a nursery school and learn sour grapes.

Why is the army so popular in Pakistan?

With a population a seventh India’s size, with an economy a tenth India’s size, Pakistan maintains an army half India’s size.

In September last year, the BBC reported the army telling the government it would need to spend an additional $1.28 billion. This money, Pakistan then informed the IMF, would come from a 50 per cent cut in the development budget and a 20 per cent cut in the non-development budget, the report had said. ???? (this might be true, I don't know. But it is doubtful, as the Pakistan Army has cut its budget)

No nation can prosper by halving its development budget. But Pakistanis approve of this. Indeed, they are enthusiastic about it (if they think about it at all) given the army’s popularity. Let us try and understand why.

India’s national anthem was composed in December 1911, a century ago and 36 years before Partition. The anthem announces the geography of India. The first two regions we sing of are Punjab and Sindh. After Partition, of these two states, India got a third of one and nothing of the other. However, the anthem’s words do not seem out of place today. A Punjabi is India’s prime minister, and Sindh and the Indus are how India got its name.

What is remarkable is that even in 1911, Balochistan and the Northwest frontier were not a part of the India of our imagination. The Pathan has always been a foreigner, even as a Bollywood character.

At Partition, few Baloch Hindus were displaced and no Pashtun Hindus, because there were none. These two places were unaffected by Partition. The Partition of India on the west was actually only the partition of Punjab.

Punjabis were savage with one another. Today, few Muslims remain in Indian Punjab, having been thrown out or killed, and almost no Sikhs and Hindus remain in Pakistani Punjab. So it was religious partitioning, but this is unimportant. The partition of Punjab was also a partition of its castes. This separation is its critical aspect and it defines the character of Pakistani Punjab. What had been a stable society in united Punjab became lighter on the side of the castes the Hindus dominated — trade, commerce — and heavier on the side of the peasant castes, which Muslims dominated. It is true that the largest component of all three Punjabi faiths — Muslim, Sikh and Hindu was the peasantry — and it was the dominant component of the British Indian army.
However, the Hindu Punjabis had a very large mercantile population, comprising Khatris, Aroras and the Vaish (Baniyas). They were the creators of wealth and are today all in India. Two of these castes (Khatris and Aroras) were present in strong numbers in the Sikhs. Muslims had very few Khatris and no Baniyas. This is why Pakistani Punjab, though it contains over half of Pakistan’s population, does not dominate the country’s economy.

The economy of Pakistan is commanded by one city in Sindh, Karachi. Over 50 per cent of all government revenue comes from Karachi.

Despite the violence in Karachi, which is mainly of a secular nature, Sindh is more normal than Punjab. One reason for this is because it has a stable society. How? The Sindhi Hindus who left at Partition were replaced by two communities. One was the educated middle class of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, the Mohajirs. The gap in the trading community created by the migration of Hindus was filled by Muslim Gujaratis of the Lohana caste — Memon, Khoja and Vora. Quaid-e-Azam was also a Lohana, one of the most talented and prosperous trading castes of India.

This is why Sindh is more normal than Punjab, despite the Mohajir-Pashtun skirmishes in Karachi. Because it is a stable society in terms of balance between those parts that are feudal and those parts that are mercantile. This balance is missing in Punjab.

Pakistanis may feel offended at such reduction in their identity to what might be seen as a purely Hindu currency, caste. However, it is impossible to understand India without being aware of caste and I see no reason why this should not be true for the area that used to be India till 65 years ago.

I would say that the Baloch are a nation, Pashtuns are a nation, Gujaratis are a nation, Tamilians are a nation and Punjabis are a nation. But Punjabi Muslims are not a nation, only half a nation.

How does this imbalance manifest itself in the way Punjab views the army? We shall explore that next week.

Why is the army so popular in Pakistan? – The Express Tribune

The excerpts highlighted in red show the terrible inaccuracies in this article published by the Express Tribune. Although I have no problems with an Indian writing an article in a Pakistani media outlet (some people might), as I believe in the freedom of speech & expression, I believe the best way to deal with this liberal fascist brigade is not to push them down, but to expose their fallacious arguments. It is a terribly argued piece, & I'd ask you all to give your comments before I give mine.

I'm tired of these liberal facists, and they dominiate PDF whether it comes down to average posters or MODS. We need to have a balance and anybody that puts down the army, especially on this forum deserves no respect.

To the clown that claims Pakistanis have come up with the term liberal facist: What a sad and sheltered life you must lead.

Some thought provoking ideas in the OP, though I take strong exception to the term 'liberal fascists'.

I don't think there is any denying that the immigrants like the 'Mohajirs' and other mercantile 'castes' (wrong choice of words) contributed immensely to Pakistan's growth and continue to do so. These immigrants had the suitable background and the new country of Pakistan provided them plenty of opportunities.

It is also a very interesting thesis that Sindh is more 'stable' because of the 'balance' between the uppity immigrants with the feudal Sindhis--implying that Punjab lacks that balance. Not sure. May be correct?

But if Karachi dominates in economy of Pakistan may be because of its large population, the dynamism of its people, the status of the only real port city, the concentration of the industry... Something like that would probably happen if the United States only composed of New York, Connecticut states where NYC would dominate.

Anyway, let's not rubbish the OP because it is written by an Indian. Rubbish it on its own merits and demerits.

e.

Anyway, let's not rubbish the OP because it is written by an Indian. Rubbish it on its own merits and demerits.

But Bilal has a point. I am also in favour of freedom of speech, however it is noticeable that there is a small group be they Indian/Pakistani who have similar views. calling them oranges or apples don't matter what you want to call them they have an ingrained bias against Pakistan and often treat facts as an optional extra

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom