What's new

Why Pakistan’s army is more popular than its politicians

............. I think our army chiefs are well able to maintain law and order whenever required. Havent got a problem. ...............

I am not referring to law and order. The economy as a whole has failed to deliver any meaningful progress for large swathes of the population, and it is this issue that will make everything else unsustainable. That is my point.

I have no problem with the brave rank and file soldiers. I respect their dedication to duty.

Speaking the truth is never a popularity contest.

I am no expert. But for accountability, Kargil come to mind.

Nawaz Sharif was given a briefing by the army on the Kashmir issue on March 1999, which probably was the one where the Kargil Plan was discussed. A specific briefing on the Kargil Plan was given in the second week of March 1999, where Nawaz granted formal approval of the plan. Nawaz came to hear the Kargil presentation accompanied by the former CGS who was Nawaz’s secretary of defense!!

Repeated coups come to mind.

when did those coups take place? what were the circumstances? And did these coups involve people terrified in their homes as M113s with manned guns clogged the streets?

it involved national celebration........for a reason. Is it right and is it the only way out? Well i have my own views about it as do many, let history judge. Was it necessary at the time? Unfortunately, yes. We often find ourselves in a "lose little or lose big" scenario (thanks to these useless politicians who never cease to amaze me with their incompetence and lust for power -at nation's expense)

Meddling in the affairs of the govt and accusing the govt for the failures comes to mind.

so now Army is a villain and govt. was a saviour to Pakistan. Blessings and sympathy be showered upon them :laugh:

How many heads rolled? Who was punished for those follies?

no heads rolled because the people themselves supported Army intervention (at the time)

looking to today, i dont think it would ever be possible again unless things were to get to a point of no return. .

The fact that PA's budget is NOT debated and the PA is NOT answerable to the civilian govt (although constitutionally it does) comes to mind.
Pakistan’s Defence Budget: Cloaked in Secrecy

The budget is so cloaked in "secrecy" that the VERY ARTICLE which you posted clearly states that:

However, in a departure from the norm, the budget for 2011-12 gives a breakdown of what used to be a one-line budget provision. The total amount allocated to Defence Affairs and Services is Rs495 billion, which is 32% of the net revenue receipts of the federal government, after providing for the provincial share. Foreign debt repayment and interest on domestic debt takes away another 67%........

The breakdown of the defence budget for 2011-2012 is as follows. Employee salaries: Rs206 billion; operating expenses: Rs128 billion; physical assets: Rs117 billion; and civil works: Rs42 billion. During Musharraf’s tenure, the pension for retired army personnel was shifted to the civilian budget. It was close to Rs27 billion then, but according to estimates, it must have increased significantly by now. The defence establishment can claim that the increase of their share in the new budget is only 11.48%, which is below the average 14% inflation in the last year.

hilariously enough, the author of the same article states that
There is lot of fat in the defence budget that can be cut with the resources diverted to health and education.

and he has the gall to "forget" that (as was the case with the Engineers Corps) the PA also has the Medical Corps (consisting of both male and female medics) who were also active during the natural (and man-made) disasters.

Where the civilian govt. failed to make its presence heard or felt ---modest and proactive men and women in uniform were serving night and day @ Combined Mil. Hospitals (CMHs); establishment of temporary "health/relief centers" etc. in areas that are remote and difficult to reach. Actually, the evidence is even here on this forum for you to see.

(I could go off on a tangent about PA's role in overseas peace-keeping missions as well -given that its the largest contributor to UN peacekeeping forces....these missions are recognized by the international community and those that are 'privy' or willing to see the larger, real picture)

Talk to Xeric about Army's contribution towards education as I am not privy to the details at all.....(he is much more knowledgeable on it)

I wonder when this thick-head author would mention the OBNOXIOUS size of PPP delegations during their regular (state-funded) trips to Washington, Dubai headquarters, London headquarters, etc. :whistle:

The fact that foreign policy is dictated by the army and not the civilian govt is an indicator how powerful and meddlesome the army is.

if what you say is true, then I am glad the Army has a say in the foreign policy matters. . . otherwise we'd be having more Raymond Davis's going rambo on Pakistani civilians in broad daylight; there'd be more embassy vehicles running down pedestrians, and more diplomatic cars (carrying illegal weapons) defying ORDERS to stop by the police forces even in the Federal Capital!

enough said!

A part of the US armed forces. Under civilian control.

Obama and those guys @ state department have very loose control over Pentagon/Langley

in fact, the fissures and tension between them is being exposed. . . Put a rep from Pentagon, USAid, State Dept. regional desk/bearu and a few education/development consultants all in the same room. Watch the fireworks, finger pointing and loud voices and fists banging on the tables.

p.s. The Finance Minister of Pakistan (a civilian) justified the increase in the defence budget --after it was discussed in Parliament of Pakistan.

Meanwhile, DG-ISPR also had some things to say regarding the $5 billion to the army’s budget in the current fiscal year

“That’s the equivalent of 16 percent of the state’s budget,” said Athar.

Asked if the percentage figure would increase in the next fiscal year, Athar said: “Hopefully not because for about five years, the military budget remained at between 13 percent and 14 percent. “It was increased only this year because of the environment of security, and a lot of things that were required by the paramilitary forces in particular. I don’t see the military expenditure taking in more than $5 billion (in the next fiscal year),” he added.

Funds allocated by the government to the Pakistani army still represent a “very small amount”, he said. “There is a lot of scope for enhancing the revenues of the government. If they go up by 70 or 80 percent the military budget will boil down to 10 percent,” Athar said.

The state increased by close to 12 percent the budget for the military in 2011-2012, in what analysts link to an annual inflation rate that hovers around 13 percent.

Pakistan aims to cut military budget: ISPR

The Fauji Foundation (FF), is one of the largest conglomerates in Pakistan, with interests in fertilizer, cement, food, power generation, gas exploration, LPG marketing and distribution, financial services, employment services, and security services. It is run by former officers of Pakistani Armed Forces.[1]

Can someone give example of a charity organization become profit making conglomerate?

what is it about "retired" and "former" which you did not fathom?

this is the most ridiculous point I have read today by you, I'm sorry.

I see in your flags that you reside in the US. Is it wrong that American servicemen get tax benefits, they get discounts when they buy cars or other major purchases, they have special credit unions available to FAMILIES that have members in the armed forces

buddy of mine, his father served as a logistics officer in the US Navy (now retired for over 35 years). My friend is eligible for loans (negligible interest) simply because his father served. He has no prior military experience himself.

fertlizers shmertilizers -- those industries arent wholly 'owned' by any fauji foundations. Pakistan is a capitalist country and many private sector companies also deal in this industry. Incidentally, these ventures are NOT exempt from tax! It isn't like the Army is just floating in cash through greasing or through evasive means.

(Army contributed Rs 146.8 Bn against budget allocation of Rs 146 Bn for fiscal yyear 2009/10)

oh and by the way, salaries are covered by the national budget ---------but troops' pensions are NOT

what is it about "retired" and "former" which you did not fathom?

this is the most ridiculous point I have read today by you, I'm sorry.

I see in your flags that you reside in the US. Is it wrong that American servicemen get tax benefits, they get discounts when they buy cars or other major purchases, they have special credit unions available to FAMILIES that have members in the armed forces

buddy of mine, his father served as a logistics officer in the US Navy (now retired for over 35 years). My friend is eligible for loans (negligible interest) simply because his father served. He has no prior military experience himself.

fertlizers shmertilizers -- those industries arent wholly 'owned' by any fauji foundations. Pakistan is a capitalist country and many private sector companies also deal in this industry. Incidentally, these ventures are NOT exempt from tax! It isn't like the Army is just floating in cash through greasing or through evasive means.

(Army contributed Rs 146.8 Bn against budget allocation of Rs 146 Bn for fiscal yyear 2009/10)

oh and by the way, salaries are covered by the national budget ---------but troops' pensions are NOT

US military personnel are allowed to purchase almost every stuff (from a condom to a laptop, furniture, clothing, food items etc) TAX FREE from the Post/Base Exchanges and Commissaries at their cantts/bases. There civilian dont get such luxuries. Even retired US military personnel make sure to have their last abode (house) near a military base as they can enjoy this tax free luxury even after retirement, loshay hain bhai.

If this be'd practiced in Pakistan, watery stool would be a day routine of many military 'enthusiastics'.

Welfare of the military at the price of the welfare of the whole nation that it protects is not sustainable in the long term; that is the only problem in this picture.

Oh no, not again.

Cheng, please read my posts.

Oh no, not again.

Cheng, please read my posts.

I read them; I agree with what you have posted.

My only concern is that the socioeconomic backbone of the country is suffering immeasurably, and I wanted to highlight attention towards that as well.

US military personnel are allowed to purchase almost every stuff (from a condom to a laptop, furniture, clothing, food items etc) TAX FREE from the Post/Base Exchanges and Commissaries at their cantts/bases. There civilian dont get such luxuries. Even retired US military personnel make sure to have their last abode (house) near a military base as they can enjoy this tax free luxury even after retirement, loshay hain bhai.

If this be'd practiced in Pakistan, watery stool would be a day routine of many military 'enthusiastics'.

actually to be very honest with you i wish "watery stools" :-)lol:) was an hourly routine for them.....'tending' to that would be far more productive than talking (yapping) out of the very same bodily crevices that see passage of the pungent liquid matter.

I read them; I agree with what you have posted.

My only concern is that the socioeconomic backbone of the country is suffering immeasurably, and I wanted to highlight attention towards that as well.

at this point, Cheng Chong Wang --all I can say is for you to do the most logical thing:

Vote in 2013 for a party you feel would reverse these (disturbing) trends. How sad to see that years after the previous President resigned (a democratic decision) the middle class of the country (the real backbone) has shrunk.

when push comes to shove, the onus will be on the current (and future) civilian governments.....if they have the discipline, know-how and backbone themselves.

at this point, Cheng Chong Wang --all I can say is for you to do the most logical thing:

Vote in 2013 for a party you feel would reverse these (disturbing) trends. How sad to see that years after the previous President resigned (a democratic decision) the middle class of the country (the real backbone) has shrunk.

when push comes to shove, the onus will be on the current (and future) civilian governments.....if they have the discipline, know-how and backbone themselves.

Yes, I agree with the above, except that the correct phrase is Wang Chung Tonight! ;)

(Google that if you don't know it already! :D )

Yes, I agree with the above, except that the correct phrase is Wang Chung Tonight! ;)

(Google that if you don't know it already! :D )

Did'nt know you were a DISCO DUCK, VCheng. I knew there was something weird about you but i could'nt put my finger on it.

Now I know....

Me, I am a Rock and Roller all the way.

Did'nt know you were a DISCO DUCK, VCheng. I knew there was something weird about you but i could'nt put my finger on it.

Now I know....

Me, I am a Rock and Roller all the way.

Not just some things, lots of things are weird about me! :D

Back to topic, before some hypervigilant Mod or Admin slaps my wrists again: IK's PTI is a front runner, but who do you see as a viable opposition to them?

Not just some things, lots of things are weird about me! :D

Back to topic, before some hypervigilant Mod or Admin slaps my wrists again: IK's PTI is a front runner, but who do you see as a viable opposition to them?

Imran Khan is becoming larger than life figure and probably unstoppable now.

My prediction is that since no party can be a viable challenger, there may be a coalition of opposition ( PPP,PMLN, PMLQ and MQM).

The biggest danger to Imran Khan is from a terrorist attack as he has challenged some well entrenched corrupt interest. My prayers ( and nations prayers) are with Imran Khan.

This is what the Army does for Pakistan on the military front:

Pakistan-Army3.jpg

This is what Zardari does for Pakistan (this is Zardari's house btw):

BenaHome2912MOS_468x328.jpg

This is what the Army did during the floods:

image003.jpg

images

This is what Zardari did during the floods:

bilawal_zardari_608.jpg

Back
Top Bottom