What's new

Why My Father Hated India

Status
Not open for further replies.
And your point is? They were Mughalized or Mughal Persianized. They adopted Mughal Persian culture, not Irani Persian culture.
Many Iranian persians went to the Mughal empire and developed a new Persian culture.

Tell me what are the similarities between South Indian, East Indian, and North Indian culture?
South Indian culture is very different from North Indian culture.

Yes, they were "Persianized" in culture after their Mongol ancestors conquered Persian land. That's what Mongols do a lot of times, take from the culture they invaded.

Actually I mean Dari.
Mughal Empire has its own style of persianate culture which is different form Iran's.
I don't want Irani Farsi. Afghani Dari would be more appropriate.
And why the hate? The more Pakistan is different from India, the better.

Darri and Farsi are prettty much the same language.....

Pakistan's national language Urdu is fine. It gets the job done, it's a beautiful language. We can go off on tangents till heart's content. The language "issue" is really a non-issue at this point.

Article doesn't explain why Bangladesh is essentially anti-Indian even after 1971 and still retains a culture significantly different from India although attempts have been made in the last 40 years to assimilate it to India.

Why bring Bangladesh into this discussion? The Author is talking about West Pakistan and his father who was a governor and happens to be anti India in his rantings when he was alive.

i think we should deport you to afghanistan or iran

I'm Pakistani, thank you very much.
If you want to go to Afghanistan or Iran, that's your choice.
All I'm saying that perhaps adopting Dari as a third official language would make Pakistan distance itself even more from India.
If you don't like Dari, we can choose another non-Indian language, and a language that is very similar to Pakistani ones.

Darri and Farsi are prettty much the same language.....

Pakistan's national language Urdu is fine. It gets the job done, it's a beautiful language. We can go off on tangents till heart's content. The language "issue" is really a non-issue at this point.

You guys lost the war and half the country with your obsession with Urdu language. Let people be who they want to be.

You guys lost the war and half the country with your obsession with Urdu language. Let people be who they want to be.

Intellectuals like Allama Iqbal had written much poetry in Farsi/Dari.
Dari was the official language of the Mughal empire.
Its such a shame, much of Pakistani poetry is in Farsi/Dari, yet many Pakistanis don't know Dari.
Even using more Dari vocabulary in Urdu to differentiate it from Indian Urdu, would be better.
I did not say remove Urdu, but differentiating Pakistani Urdu from Indian Urdu would be the next step.
I just suggested adding Dari as the third official language.

Adding Pashto, Punjabi, Sindhi, Balochi, Kashmiri, Dari, and even perhaps Burushaski vocabulary to replace the vocabulary in Pakistani Urdu that are similar to Indian Urdu or Indian Hindi like "paani", would be the next step.

had to do with politics and less to do with language issue.......there is no law in Pakistan where people are forced to speak the language. It comes naturally.

Let people be who they want to be? Here's something to ponder: I'm a Pakhtun Pakistani by ethnicity...At home I speak Pashto. I recognize Urdu as my national language. I speak the language with fellow Pakistanis. I cling to it proudly. Multi-lingualism exists everywhere in Pakistan, I'm no "special case"

(look at Pakistani_Nationalist --who is Baloch Pakistani and speaks flawless Urdu; look at Taimikhan or Jana who are Pakhtuns who speak Urdu; look at Huda who is as Sindhi as it gets --she speaks better Urdu than I do!)

I think it's silly to keep on going into the language thing; it's equally silly for indians --such as the confused author of the article posted --to claim that Pakistanis are "obcessed" with india --whom we simply view as an enemy country and not much else. In Pakistan, I can assure you that nobody talks about india or indians --though they will acknowledge that they dont view india favourably. That is only natural.

to claim that this is the reason why our economy or other national matters are not so favourable is beyond absurd. The economy was in far worse shape in the early-mid 1990s and yet the country made a comeback in the early-mid 2000s. The governance (lack thereof) is what leads Pakistan to its issues; not to mention external issues beyond our locus-of-control.

as for the author...well, actually, it's hard not to feel sorry for the guy....his estranged Pakistani father abandoned him and hardly acknowledged him. If only Freud were still around it would be interesting to hear what theories he would have for this fatherless, confused indian child :rofl:

maybe the turban is tied too tight

had to do with politics and less to do with language issue.......there is no law in Pakistan where people are forced to speak the language. It comes naturally.

I'm a Pakhtun Pakistani by ethnicity...I recognize Urdu as my national language. I cling to it proudly.

I'm a Muhajir from Dilli, Agra, and Jodhpur.
My grandmother's husband from my father side used to be the personal doctor of the Maharaja of Mariwar.
However genealogically my parents are Pathans and Farsiwans.

I think it's silly to keep on going into the language thing; it's equally silly for indians --such as the confused author of the article posted --to claim that Pakistanis are "obcessed" with india --whom we simply view as an enemy country and not much else. In Pakistan, I can assure you that nobody talks about india or indians --though they will acknowledge that they dont view india favourably. That is only natural.

to claim that this is the reason why our economy or other national matters are not so favourable is beyond absurd. The economy was in far worse shape in the early-mid 1990s and yet the country made a comeback in the early-mid 2000s. The governance (lack thereof) is what leads Pakistan to its issues; not to mention external issues beyond our locus-of-control.

as for the author...well, actually, it's hard not to feel sorry for the guy....his estranged Pakistani father abandoned him and hardly acknowledged him. If only Freud were still around it would be interesting to hear what theories he would have for this fatherless, confused indian child :rofl:

maybe the turban is tied too tight

My grandparents used to live in Dilli, Agra, and Jodhpur.
My grandmother's father from my father's side used to be the personal doctor of the Maharaja of Mariwar.

Did I say remove Urdu? I just said lets add Dari, and try to Pakistanize Pakistani Urdu by making it different as much as possible to Indian Hindi and Indian Urdu.
Is this really asking for too much?

My grandmother's husband from my father side used to be the personal doctor of the Maharaja of Mariwar.

Did I say remove Urdu? I just said lets add Dari, and try to Pakistanize Pakistani Urdu by making it different to Indian Hindi and Indian Urdu.

So you admit then your culture and national identity is not a finished product as of yet? This could perhaps explain all the internal turmoil. But I doubt your comrades want to accept Persian, especially in the Sindh area.

Did I say remove Urdu? I just said lets add Dari, and try to Pakistanize Pakistani Urdu by making it different to Indian Hindi and Indian Urdu.

Pakistani Urdu is quite different from any "urdu" or hindi spoken in india....the pronounciations, the way the words are spoken, the sounds.....even within Pakistan there are different dialects so forget outside of Pakistan even.

Darri is not needed in Pakistan in my humble opinion....nobody is gonna adopt a new language in Pakistan. The status quo is just fine and has been working just fine.

we dont need to Pakistanize our own national language. We even have our own unique script/alphabet --we have the luxury of having all spoken languages in Pakistan using the same script more or less --it should be mentioned.

at the end of the day ---the language "issue" is really a non-issue as far as Pakistan is concerned. . . Nobody seems to make a deal out of it except some people in this thread.

and it's funny as hell to see indians bringing up "national identity" and all of that when in fact the indians dont even have a uniting language which everyone can understand....but then again, no need to delve further into the language debate.

I'm not in any turmoil.

Many of your comrades are dying in ethnic violence, I believe Pashtun against Mohajir. Then there are the Baloch partisans, as well as an independence movement in the northern territories, which is why the Durand Line is disrespected.

Salman Taseer, sent out a tweet about an Indian rocket that had come down over the Bay of Bengal: "Why does India make fools of themselves messing in space technology? Stick 2 bollywood my advice."

Never understood what pakistanis have against Indian Space program??

Dari as a third official language would make Pakistan distance itself even more from India.
If you don't like Dari, we can choose another non-Indian language,

But then,the national language urdu originated in central india..Are you guys gonna change that..?

I'm not trying to create ethnic tension.
I'm just telling where my parents came from.
I consider myself Pakistani.
You are right Muhajir is no more.
Muhajir is used by idoits like Altaf Hussain and his gangster party.
I just used Muhajir for people who wants better understanding.
I'm even going to edit my earlier posts.
I live in Islamabad not in Karachi or in Sindh. My father grew up in Gujranwala.

look i acknowledge that you have tolerated my anger, but please you are innocent, try to understand these are not some opinions, these are some very serious issues and people take all sorts of meaning to it, so my humble advice is not to discuss it any further, that is forcing the farsi into us, its completely foreign and belongs to iran, its like insulting our mother tongue that is very dear to us, you may belong to ancient iranian root, but we dont, so if you are a farsiwan whatever, your baradri can become a farsiwan and pakistan is free for all, but dont say like we have to learn farsi as a third language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom