What's new

Why Modi wants Goa CM Manohar Parrikar as his Defence Minister

No way! VK Singh has dishonoured his former service and is as decisive a character as one can find. He seems to care more for his personal goals than the greater good as far as defence goes and he as a DM would only cause tension amongst the 3 service chiefs. VK Singh was being suggested as the next Def Min before the cabinet was announced and Modi played a masterstroke to keep him out of defence matters and instead gave him charge of NE development which I think he is very suited for.
You guys are being too harsh for V K Singh. Modi knows his capability and that is why he got a very important post even he joined BJP so late. The whole age drama and fight with congress was only one issue in his whole tenure. He raised his voice against Antony who was doing things wrong and corruptions in Army. I still go by that the fact that he was the best general we had in past 10-15 years.

Modi needs a firm ally with good administrative experience.There is a definite administrative deficit at centre. Like Nirmala Sitharaman who joined BJP only in 2006, now a very visible commerce and industry minister of state. Or even Smriti Irani. Or VK Singh. They are good with media bytes, but none of them have administrative experience. It is good for Modi's control of the party, but may prove harmful in the long run. You need people who can handle a crisis. Gadkari was definitely eyeing Maharashtra greedily. Rajnath Singh in the Jama Masjid maulana's list was suspicious. He may be eyeing for the top, if BJP needs a "secular" leader. For now Modi's popularity makes them hold their tongue.

I give AK credit, but Congress supporters blame him for their party;s failure. The problem with AK is not his reform but his pace of making decisions but then again, that is not his fault.

The nonsense about indecisiveness was just PR during the elections and the more it was repeated, the more people believed it, but for the defence field I already busted that myth in an earlier thread, just by showing how many procurement were made and how much better IN and IAF got under his term, because nobody that is indecisive could have modernised the forces to such an extend as he did. But he was bad in selling his work, that's why most people don't realized or remember them.
His real problem (besides the poor english and interaction skills with foreigners), were that he focused too much on a clean MoD and let any tiny suspicion lead to an investigation and that "policy" of investigating was wrong. Even if his goal was the right one, it was the way he wanted to achieve it that was wrong and that's where the current MoD makes progress, by differentiating cases and banning procedures, to not let the forces suffer too much. But as we can see now too, that doesn't mean they wouldn't cause delays right?

You guys are being too harsh for V K Singh.

Besides that even the forces are not really happy about him, isn't there an investigation running wrt to an IA scam that is linked to him?

Last edited:
What's more important, what can he bring in for the DM post?

I would have preferred some one with better experience in Industrial and techno-commercial processes. One name that comes to mind is Piyush Goyal seems knowledgeable, I wouldn't mind if PM takes charge too, Indira Gandhi, PVN Rao, Rajiv gandhi all took independent charge of DM portfolio.

I would have preferred some one with better experience in Industrial and techno-commercial processes. One name that comes to mind is Piyush Goyal seems knowledgeable, I wouldn't mind if PM takes charge too, Indira Gandhi, PVN Rao, Rajiv gandhi all took independent charge of DM portfolio.

Sandy ji any idea why Arun Shourie has been ignored? Over say.. Smriti Irani?

I wouldn't mind if PM takes charge too, Indira Gandhi, PVN Rao, Rajiv gandhi all took independent charge of DM portfolio.
It's not about him taking control in general (although I do think that so much power shouldn't remain in the hand of a single person), but in this case the PM is pushing an unrelated agenda into the defence field and MoD matters. Since that is not good for the forces, we need a DM that hopefully can be a counter balance and that actually works for the forces!

It's not about him taking control in general (although I do think that so much power shouldn't remain in the hand of a single person), but in this case the PM is pushing an unrelated agenda into the defence field and MoD matters. Since that is not good for the forces, we need a DM that hopefully can be a counter balance and that actually works for the forces!
I personally feel we should disband the MoD, in to three different Areas with a pentagon styled setup, with dedicated overight committees on Defense acquisition, Military Oversight and Defense production. But that's just me

I personally feel we should disband the MoD, in to three different Areas with a pentagon styled setup, with dedicated overight committees on Defense acquisition, Military Oversight and Defense production. But that's just me

Wouldn't that increase bureaucracy?

Wouldn't that increase bureaucracy?

Right now the chain is command is nefariously complicated, I am hoping for simplification and a more flat organisational structure which will help speedy decisions, timely reviews, and accountability.

Jaitley has accomplished a great deal in hist short time (especially when one considers Anthony's pathetic work rate).

Anthony refused to sign deals because he cared more for his image than the preparedness of the military.

Best of luck to the new DM.

There is a massive amount of work to do thanks to the lost decade of Saint Anthony.

I don't know what possible candidates the NDA has, that's why I asked about this one, but the way it went so far, it is obvious that the PM wants control about this field, even if he is not officially responsible for it. In the current scenario and if anything goes wrong because of delays in modernisations, it's not the PM, but the part time DM Arun Jaitley that will be blamed, because on paper he is responsible.

Most of the purchases and modernization will go accordingly, as it is given a go in the Parliament and planned under 5 year plan by Congress. RSS wants its man in this field. That is the reason why this person only. How efficiency deals will happen without any delays and scams is to be observed now. One can now start the comparison.

Besides that even the forces are not really happy about him, isn't there an investigation running wrt to an IA scam that is linked to him?
Not Army but few army officers when he exposed corruption in the govt and pulled the govt to Court. There was only age issue is attached to him which was considered as main reason when he exposed that Antonny and others offered him Bribe for some deal.

Jaitley has accomplished a great deal in hist short time (especially when one considers Anthony's pathetic work rate).

Anthony refused to sign deals because he cared more for his image than the preparedness of the military.

Best of luck to the new DM.

There is a massive amount of work to do thanks to the lost decade of Saint Anthony.

He refused to sign deals because of Sonia gandhi meddling in every issue. He did not want himself to be blamed for the mistakes of Madam. Some how he managed to close a lot of deals without any controversies. It would have not been a surprize if Bofors kaand 2 had happened.

Back
Top Bottom