What's new

Why is English given so much importance in the subcontinent ??

I give you a prime example of a 'Mindset' here. This is the back cover of Pakistan International School Jeddah's standard notebook for students. We have successfully translated our 'Qaumi Tarana' in English and has successfully inducted it too. To me national anthem is a symbol of identity and look at this trash. I wander how this goes unnoticed even.

national anthem can be translated to other languages.

It is not a big deal especially if you are overseas.

But it is important to teach the anthem in its original language as well.

Waise toh mein bhi Yuva hu 18
aur Angreezi kitni mehtrapoon hai janta hu
magar Hindi/Tamil/Telgu/Bengali etc ki achi Jankari har ek koh rakni chaiye
Aur Hindi/Tamil/Telgu bolte wakt bhi sar utha ke Bolni chaiye

Jiyo Barkhurdar.:enjoy:

I was in Metro
I asked a station Aaaj War kya hai[What is the day today in hindi]
& he started laughing
I asked what happened
He replied that Ask what is the day today,What is War kya hai
So ya there is a Inferiority complex in North Indians atleast

Its sure that he might have argued about "War" but it is equally true that he would not have said "what is the day today". Instead of "day", "din" is more popular in normal conversation. This is not inferiority complex.
In company we speak English with clients which are not Indian. But in the the same company we speak Hindi in canteen. Had it been the inferiority complex we will never use Hindi in relaxation time.

national anthem can be translated to other languages.

It is not a big deal especially if you are overseas.

But it is important to teach the anthem in its original language as well.

The school is operated by Pakistan's embassy here and I hate this idea that Pakistani students who speak Urdu at home recite a national anthem in English. Call me a
by name thts an international school,,hence foreign students.........urdu mein hota toh sabko samjh me ataa??

I know international schools tend to adopt a wider language perspective but still I dont buy this idea of translating a national anthem in a foreign language. Secondly, the school is run by embassy of Pakistan in Saudi so it makes no sense that children who speak Urdu at home recite national anthem in English which they do. My nephew studies in the same school and he doesn't know the Urdu version whereas he speaks Urdu at home.

yep! Thats the point of having a common language like english!

Absolutely. And what's more, the process of learning English is impartial to all Indians. North Indians, South Indians, Eastern Indians, all have to learn it from scratch, which is not the case with our 2nd Official Language.:-)

BTW, which part of India are you from?

East, Calcutta. It has the Largest and only China Town of India and many good Chinese Restaurants -

tungfong.jpg

Why is this forum in english?Why not Urdu?
English is the international language whether u like it or not and its the language in which all international transactions are done.In a globalized world if u are unable to connect to people u are increasingly a localized entity with no reach.
But of course some chinese and pakistani members will try to take this discussion in another direction,i understand their inherent desperation to promote a certain viewpoint.
To them the simple initial question on this post is enough.

Back
Top Bottom