What's new

Why is English given so much importance in the subcontinent ??

bdw I am learning a bit of Chinese as well from her.

Ni Hao ? Xao Xa hao! Wata Mesa sha Aka123!!

Dragon is called Long, Thank you - Sisiya, Panda - Xao Mao, Come here - Kwo Laye, Bangladesh - Manjyalagwa, India - Yindu, Pakistan - Bajistan, China - Chongu :D

I am trying to write Chinese using English script, so spellings are not correct.

:rofl::rofl::omghaha: I know that will make some members really happy....

East, Calcutta. It has the Largest and only China Town of India and many good Chinese Restaurants -

tungfong.jpg
You are Bengali? The restaurant here you're talking about, I do know the owners.
@Aka123, If I am not wrong the meaning of Tung Fong is "East Facing".

Last edited:
BTW, which part of India are you from?

It's spelled and pronounced as Sichuan. Perhaps that was the old spelling and pronounciation.

Well Indian restuarents change the names according their whims. But clearly Schzewan is the name given to that fried rice nearly in all restaurents. Atleast in Tamil Nadu.

I don't think Hu Jintao even knows how to speak English in the first place. And even if he did, he would never speak it in public.

And I actually quite admire the Japanese attitude towards English. If you take a vacation to Japan, and try to talk to them in English, they'll say: "Why should we learn English? YOU should learn Japanese!"

As for me, the only reason my English is decent is ecause I went to an International school in Hong Kong. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to talk to anyone here on this forum, which might have been a blessing in disguise in some respects. :P
I like it when people take pride in their own language . You can make progess and development in you own language. You can translate knowledge from different foreign languages into native/national language. Indians love to speak english at school, at work place and even their laws and books are in english. Their actor/actess cannot speak hindi without making mixture of english. It seem they are more fluent in english than their own language.

Tung is East in Chinese. Fong is like direction.
Also the owners sons name is Vincent and Michael Liu. You can check.

Sure will check with my friend tomorrow.

Why is this forum in english?Why not Urdu?
English is the international language whether u like it or not and its the language in which all international transactions are done.In a globalized world if u are unable to connect to people u are increasingly a localized entity with no reach.
But of course some chinese and pakistani members will try to take this discussion in another direction,i understand their inherent desperation to promote a certain viewpoint.
To them the simple initial question on this post is enough.

English status as an international language is not in doubt. Speaking the language is one thing, making it one of the national languages is quite another thing. English became the lingua franca in India because of British colonial heritage and the Indian ruling elite's colonial mindset. Don't take this discussion another way by pointing finger at chinese or pakistani for stating such simple fact.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom