What's new

Roots of the identity crisis in Pakistan

There is only one god but allah (swt).

We do not want to associate ourselves with pagan history.

You will also realize the truth and revert to Islam.

May be I will.
But won’t suffer from identity crisis because I won’t forget who I am and will proudly remember my history.
So there.

May be I will.
But won’t suffer from identity crisis because I won’t forget who I am and will proudly remember my history.
So there.

Once you get enlinghtened and revert to Islam you too will give up on your pagan history.

Islam is the only truth.

Paganism is creation of the devil.

For your own good give it up.

It was disgusting,, idols, superstitions, animal worship all types of stupidity and beghairati

What's to like?

All religions are man made with fair amount of superstitions. You moved from Hindu superstitions to ‘flying horses’ and some imaginary ‘angels’. So all are same if you think about it, because it all comes down to belief which doesn’t require rationality.

That’s a different discussion though.

But hating your ancestors because they used to follow a different religion doesn’t make sense. Look at Indonesia, they still have idols on their currency notes.

All religions are man made with fair amount of superstitions. You moved from Hindu superstitions to ‘flying horses’ and some imaginary ‘angels’. So all are same if you think about it, because it all comes down to belief which doesn’t require rationality.

But hating your ancestors because they used to follow a different religion doesn’t make sense. Look at Indonesia, they still have idols on their currency notes.
You may be atheist am I right?

Once you get enlinghtened and revert to Islam you too will give up on your pagan history.

Islam is the only truth.

Paganism is creation of the devil.

For your own good give it up.

No thanks.
Hinduism gives me freedom to reject the existence of god. No other religion have guts to do it.

You may be atheist am I right?
Yes. Atheism is part of Indian philosophy. And it’s beautiful and liberating.

No Muslim will worship an idol.

Stop posting nonsense.

@Indos

OP is renowned pajeet of pdf

Is ko apnai baap ka nahi pata laikin Pakistanion ko so called identity crisis par lecture daiga :lol:

OP is renowned pajeet of pdf

Is ko apnai baap ka nahi pata laikin Pakistanion ko so called identity crisis par lecture daiga :lol:
Sure. Let’s find out:

families and clans that had emerged from within the South Asian region began to claim that their ancestors actually came from Arabia.

Media may have played its part in a mass-projection of this question....

OPINION

The purpose of writing this article is to awake the national consciousness of the readers which has been slumbering for quite some time. Pakistan is facing a plethora of inherited problems, but the identity crisis did not count as one of them until recently. This term has now become quite common. Media may have played its part in a mass-projection of this question.

This crisis has more to do with our pre-independence movement for a separate state than contemporary politics. Let’s dig into our history to understand identity crisis we are facing.

Long before the advent of the East India Company’s rule over the subcontinent, undivided India had numerous small states with their own rulers. These rulers were fair and ruled over different sects, religions and ethnicities without any prejudice to a particular religion or language. With the arrival of the East India Company, things changed and the reins of power came into the hands of the British. The subcontinent was to embark on a journey that would be unprecedented in this region’s history.

Since our erstwhile rulers were British and were under their Parliament in the UK, the European politics had a direct influence on us. The mid-18th century was the age of industrialisation in Europe. The revolutionary ideas of nationalism and liberalism - courtesy of Rousseau, John Locke and Thomas Hobbes - became popular and the climax of these movements was evident when the ancient regime in France was overthrown as a result of the French Revolution.

These new ideas did not make an impact in the subcontinent, very much to the east of the nucleus of such movements. The natives had lived with each other for centuries. Muslim and Hindus, Hindi speakers and Urdu speakers, all lived together in harmony without the prejudices of language or sect. The Britishers realised the fact that the movements that challenged the established order in the West - liberalism and nationalism - were not important in this part of the world. The East India Company did not want the followers of the two major religions to challenge their authority together. It was 1857’s War of Independence that set the tone for the British to implement their infamous “divide and rule” strategy, in order to create disharmony between the two major religions of the subcontinent.

It is crucial to underline the stark difference between the West and the East. In the West, the movements which glued the natives together were based on a common language and culture. The prime example is that of the Italians and the Germans who attempted their unification against the foreign occupation. The East, i.e. the subcontinent, was not engaged in any movement inspired by a common language. The driving force here was religion and religious extremism, which became worse due to the tactics employed by the British. It was the identical “divide and rule” practice that the Austrians used in their Hapsburg empire against the indigenous nationalities, which was experimented by the British in the subcontinent. This is how identity crisis started in the subcontinent. The British started it and we are still facing the consequences today.

Fast forward to 1940 - the year of the Lahore Resolution when the idea of Pakistan, a separate state, was presented for the very first time from the platform of All India Muslim League. The idea was for a separate country for Muslims. The fact worth noticing was that the Pakistan Movement was a protest against the excesses of the Hindus as their lawmakers. The agenda of this movement was not based on common language or culture, as in the West, but was based on common religion, which started to undermine the regional ethnicities. The advocates of this movement considered “Muslimhood” above culture. It was in this context that Quaid-e-Azam declared Urdu as our national language and not any provincial language. Had he declared any of the provincial languages as our national language, imagine the disruption that would have occurred because then the province whose language was chosen as the national language would be more dominant. This was the farsightedness of Quaid-e-Azam and his brilliance in politics.

By and large, the idea of Muslim nationalism trumped the idea of regional nationalism throughout the course of our history. The idea of a homeland for Muslims stirred the masses, and Pakistan was born as a separate state due to the efforts of the Muslim League. But, as of now, the state of Pakistan, which came into being as a result, has obtained its own life, and now the citizens, in majority, owe their allegiance more to the state and want to be called Pakistanis. Debates on ethnicity and languages undermine our identity as Muslims, and these issues were of no noticeable importance during the struggle for Pakistan; not only are they futile, they also further divide the citizens. Embracing the principle of unity in diversity, somewhat like our neighbours, should be the mantra. Today, the only question that should remain relevant is: what part can we play, as citizens, in national integration?
The author seems to be a worrywart with a full belly and a lot of time on his hand. I think most people in Pakistan have many crises at present but not this.

Back
Top Bottom