What's new

Why Hindi-Urdu is One Language and Arabic is Several

broken-record.jpg

A broken record. ;)

Yet, you manufactured your elite Shudh Hindi in 1947, that no one prior to 1947 spoke in the Indian subcontinent; by removing the words of Arabic/Persian origin and concocting a fake language. Save the crap man. At least people like Ghalib & many others (even though they spoke the elite form of it) like him spoke a real language Urdu that took centuries to develop through natural means of assimilation, whereas the Shudh Hindi is not even a language, but an fake, artificial creation that was enforced by the Indian government post 1947. You are again forgetting that Urdu has a lot of Sanskrit/Prakrit origin words.

As you mentioned, your family came from Iraq. Thus you belong to the elite Ashraf caste, it would be understandable if your family used a large number of foreign words - but that's not how most Indians speak.

As you mentioned, your family came from Iraq. Thus you belong to the elite Ashraf caste, it would be understandable if your family used a large number of foreign words - but that's not how most Indians speak.

My family moved from Iraq to Bihar, India in the early 1400's. I have the "Shajra" (family tree) of it as well that was compiled over all those years, but it is in Nastaliq so you wouldn't understand it. I don't know anything about Iraq, but I have direct connections to Bihar even today. I am a Syed Naqvi (progeny of Imam Ali Naqi, the 11th Imam for Shias) Shia from Bihar, if that helps in any way.

Yes, and those invaders don't decide what we do in India.

They can always go back to Arabia if they have problems in the subcontinent where they came as extremely brutal and intolerant invaders.

They should remember what Spain did to them.

Yes, and those invaders don't decide what we do in India.

They can always go back to Arabia if they have problems in the subcontinent where they came as extremely brutal and intolerant invaders.

They should remember what Spain did to them.

Tch, don't generalize :) ...

It would be nice if people like Bilal started promoting use of the Devanagari script for Urdu - it is the most logical and well-structured script in the history of humanity. Furthermore, most of the Urdu vocabulary is of Indic origin, and Devanagari is much better suited for it.

My family moved from Iraq to Bihar, India in the early 1400's. I have the "Shajra" (family tree) of it as well that was compiled over all those years, but it is in Nastaliq so you wouldn't understand it. I don't know anything about Iraq, but I have direct connections to Bihar even today. I am a Syed Naqvi (descendants of Imam Ali Naqi, the 11th Imam for Shias) Shia from Bihar, if that helps in any way.

And you "Ashraf" and "Syed" folks look down on the vast majority of native Indian converts.

Tch, don't generalize :) ...

It would be nice if people like Bilal started promoting use of the Devanagari script for Urdu - it is the most logical and well-structured script in the history of humanity. Furthermore, most of the Urdu vocabulary is of Indic origin, and Devanagari is much more suited for it.

I don't mind using or learning the Devanagari script. I would love to by the way. I can write my name in Devanagari, but that's it. I have also picked up basic Gujarati in the presence of my Indian friends. I am reasonably fluent in Bhojpuri (the speaking bit only, not writing or reading it), my mother tongue. So I don't mind any of that. As I said, I love Indian culture, heritage, diversity. I have a huge part of India inside of me. I would just request Indians to show a little bit of respect towards Pakistan as well, unfortunately they don't; and then that forces me to talk ill of India, and that hurts me, but I'm forced to do it. I take no pleasure in speaking ill of India, it is the land of my ancestors & where my maternal & paternal family currently live, & I have great love & admiration for India. I have no love or admiration for jingoistic Indians though that can't stand good relations with Pakistan.

And you "Ashraf" and "Syed" folks look down on the vast majority of native Indian converts.

No we don't. At least I don't. I can't speak for everyone. I'm not even that religious to be honest.

I don't mind using or learning the Devanagari script. I would love to by the way. I can write my name in Devanagari, but that's it. I have also picked up basic Gujarati in the presence of my Indian friends. I am reasonably fluent in Bhojpuri, my mother tongue. So I don't mind any of that. As I said, I love Indian culture, heritage, diversity. I have a huge part of India inside of me. I would just request Indians to show a little bit of respect towards Pakistan as well, unfortunately they don't; and then that forces me to talk ill of India, and that hurts me, but I'm forced to do it. I take no pleasure in speaking ill of India, it is the land of my ancestors & where my maternal & paternal family currently live, & I have great love & admiration for India. I have no love or admiration for jingoistic Indians though that can't stand good relations with Pakistan.

Mate, I also want good relations with Pakistan. If possible.

Not at the cost of a single inch of our territory and a single terror attack on a single Indian.

If we could learn to appreciate that we are two separate countries and have no say in each other's internal matters any more.

Mate, I also want good relations with Pakistan. If possible.

Not at the cost of a single inch of our territory and a single terror attack on a single Indian.

If we could learn to appreciate that we are two separate countries and have no say in each other's internal matters any more.

I agree with this completely, but both countries have got to do this, not just one of them.

No we don't. At least I don't. I can't speak for everyone. I'm not even that religious to be honest.

Exactly. People claim that there is no racism in Islam.

I see some of the biggest racists among Pakistanis!

They are openly racist towards Indians (not that we give a damn, the racist among us would look down at them with contempt), towards blacks and towards non Muslims in general.

The more Islamists they are, the more they are racists.

And it exposes their hypocrisy every day and every second.

Some of the biggest self acclaimed Islamist call the president of the USA a "house negro"! But he would shout the loudest of being "profiled" when its his turn.

Exactly. People claim that there is no racism in Islam.

I see some of the biggest racists among Pakistanis!

They are openly racist towards Indians
(not that we give a damn, the racist among us would look down at them with contempt), towards blacks and towards non Muslims in general.

The more Islamists they are, the more they are racists.

And it exposes their hypocrisy every day and every second.

Some of the biggest self acclaimed Islamist call the president of the USA a "house negro"! But he would shout the loudest of being "profiled" when its his turn.

It's a two way street my friend. In fact, I have seen many more jingoistic Indians than Pakistanis living here in America. I have seen many more Pakistanis praising India openly than the vice versa. Anyways, you are entitled to your opinion, & I won't try to change it.

What is English?

History of the English Language

A short history of the origins and development of English

The history of the English language really started with the arrival of three Germanic tribes who invaded Britain during the 5th century AD. These tribes, the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes, crossed the North Sea from what today is Denmark and northern Germany. At that time the inhabitants of Britain spoke a Celtic language. But most of the Celtic speakers were pushed west and north by the invaders - mainly into what is now Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The Angles came from Englaland and their language was called Englisc - from which the words England and English are derived.

english-what-map.gif

Remember - We are discussiong the LANGUAGE!

Well Maulana Abul Kalam Azad was born in Mecca to a Meccan mother and a Bengali father. His father's family had migrated to Bengal over 400 years ago from Herat in Afghanistan. Still he considered himself and Indian nationalist. He had first generation Meccan blood from his mother's side and was born in Mecca but still called India his home.

Jinnah on the other hand belonged to a Hindu Rajput family and only his grand father-Poonja Gokuldas Meghji- had converted to Islam as a Khoja shia and became a founder of Pakistan and a proponent of Two nation theory.

India is not defined by a particular ethinicity, language or even a single religion. It has thousands of years of migrations of various people and cultures that settled in India and called it home and were part of the evolution of the Indian culture. Similarly, Indian influence spread to Indonesia, Thailand, and even Central Asia were most of these countries have stan (including Pakistan). Sthan is afterall a Sanskrit derived word meaning Place. Similarly, scientific knowledge passed on from India to Baghdad led to the golden age under the Abassids. While in the East, Buddhism and spread of the Cholan empire at different times of history influenced the culture and evolution of societies there.

Back
Top Bottom