What's new

Who does Pakistan relate to more - Asia or Middle East?

Honestly it's much easier for Pakistanis to learn Dari because we already have some Pakistanis who speak it, especially in Balochistan and Khyber. Also Urdu script is very similar, if not the exact same script as Farsi script which makes it hell of a lot easier to transition to Dari/Farsi for us.

Having a similar script and alphabet makes the job of learning a new language that much easier. It's no different from how an English speaker can learn Spanish very quickly due to same script.

If language or ethnicity was guaranteed of anything then Afghanis will not be at each other throat for decades now. They are relatively homogeneous ethnically and linguistically. Compared with that Pakistan have done better. There is absolutely no need for dari/farsi in Pakistan, we are fine with urdu.

And no Pakistani speak dari/farsi in KP, Balochistan. Only few refugees at best who should go back.

Lol that things crap (23&Me). They intentionally put 5% African DNA to troll people :lol:

I can't seem to find the article where I read it. Will try to look it up.

The Urdu that was commonly spoken by Mughals or even as late as the generation of Pakistanis who experienced partition has been replaced by what I call a very "Bollywoodized" type of Urdu, basically losing many of its Farsi origin words.

Also Pakistanis using alot of English words in Urdu to sound "modern" isn't helping with the preservation of the language either.

The original Urdu was far more closer to Farsi than to Hindi.

Asalamu Alaikum

My mother was an Urdu purist lol. Anytime some Punjabi creeped in she would blast me.

Hopefully my Urdu isn't bastardised.

If I have even 1 drop of banglar or African I will consider the results not correct/clean.

:lol:

These tests aren't reliable anyway, don't use them.

I remember reading some Jatt guy managed to get Finnish ancestry, and two twins got completely different results.

It's hogwash. Don't use them.

If language or ethnicity was guaranteed of anything then Afghanis will not be at each other throat for decades now. They are relatively homogeneous ethnically and linguistically. Compared with that Pakistan have done better. There is absolutely no need for dari/farsi in Pakistan, we are fine with urdu.

And no Pakistani speak dari/farsi in KP, Balochistan. Only few refugees at best who should go back.
Afghans are far from being ethnically and linguistically homogeneous.

As much as I like, respect and admire everything that is related to Pakistan and her culture(s), language(s), nation(s) and tradition(s); the fact that I have to use the plural forms of words like language and nation in the Pakistani context is a strong indication that Pakistan's nation building process isn't completed yet. The case of India is even worse.

In this sense, Pakistan does not relate to Asia nor to the Middle East. Despite their different political constitutions, Turkey, Iran, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are countries based upon one nationhood. Same goes for China, Japan, Russia and Korea.

Pakistan somehow stands between Asia and Middle East afraid of moving forward. And I don't really understand the reasons behind this hesitation. If Punjabis, Pashtuns, Baloch and Sindhis etc. aren't willing to give up at least parts of their regional identities in order to create something bigger, Pakistan will never be able to work properly.

Sometimes I wonder if something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_destruction on a national and societal level could help Pakistan; a powerful re-start. China did the same. Turkey did it with Atatürk. Japan was forced to do it by the Americans.

As much as I like, respect and admire everything that is related to Pakistan and her culture(s), language(s), nation(s) and tradition(s); the fact that I have to use the plural forms of words like language and nation in the Pakistani context is a strong indication that Pakistan's nation building process isn't completed yet. The case of India is even worse.

In this sense, Pakistan does not relate to Asia nor to the Middle East. Despite their different political constitutions, Turkey, Iran, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are countries based upon one nationhood. Same goes for China, Japan, Russia and Korea.

Pakistan somehow stands between Asia and Middle East afraid of moving forward. And I don't really understand the reasons behind this hesitation. If Punjabis, Pashtuns, Baloch and Sindhis etc. aren't willing to give up at least parts of their regional identities in order to create something bigger, Pakistan will never be able to work properly.

Sometime I wonder if something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_destruction on a national and societal level could help Pakistan; a powerful re-start. China did the same. Turkey did it with Atatürk. Japan was forced to do it by the Americans.

We dont have to. Thats the beauty of it.

The region is ancient trade route. Your proposed idea does not make business sense to us.

Thanks for the brotherly concerns though.

We dont have to. Thats the beauty of it.

The region is ancient trade route. Your proposed idea does not make business sense to us.

Thanks for the brotherly concerns though.

Turkey has her major faults, too. Sometimes I'd like to smash people's head, this is how desperate the Turkish society is making me from time to time. So, Turkey is far away from being a good example for Pakistan. Believe me. It's just that Pakistan needs a change as soon as possible. What would you suggest?

Turkey has her major faults, too. Sometimes I'd like to smash people's head, this is how desperate the Turkish society is making me from time to time. So, Turkey is far away from being a good example for Pakistan. Believe me. It's just that Pakistan needs a change as soon as possible. What would you suggest?

Our faultlines are covered. You dont seem to have that luxury it seems.

Change is constant. We need very little to change.

Unlike other nation states. We dont need a narrative.

Its just corruption my friend. That is every countrys challenge.

A lot of Afghani Pashtuns do not know Dari, same with Uzbeks, Turkomens etc

That's failure of Afghan state because I've yet to meet afghani outside Pakistan who doesn't speak urdu (broken one).

That's failure of Afghan state because I've yet to meet afghani outside Pakistan who doesn't speak urdu (broken one).
Perhaps partitioning Afghanistan will solve the Afghanistan quagmire between the different ethnic groups.

If religion bounded people then Afghanistan will not be at state of civil war for decades, 100% of them are muslims for centuries and no traces left of their past. Its as if they all moved in from Arabland in 7th century, no one know anything about their pre islam identity on personal level. Exception being Nuristanis as they still have their no-muslim counterpart in Pakistan known as Kalash.

Language again majority of afghanis speak dari as native language for centuries now. Ethnically they are lot closer to each other as well because of religious factor and culture.

If secularism was solution then why must of pseudo secular parties in Pakistan are ethnic nationalists and survive on divisive politics? MQM and ANP comes to mind.

Solution? Integration of people economically, socially etc You don't have to give up anything. This process has been going on in Pakistan since British invasion in 1850.

Last edited:

Nailed it.
Yes, a language evolves organically. Not forced. Even a dictator like Zia could not force Arabic on Pakistan--though he thought of that idea, trying to unify Pakistan.

Urdu is just fine. And actually it's being adopted more and more in Pakistan. No need to be scared of Bollywood--they have been around for ever and hasn't made Pakistanis pro India. Maybe watch 'My Fair Lady' to see how some English speak English! :)

PS. It does pain me to see that in Urdu language shows people using English liberally. That doesn't impress me and takes away from the wider reach of such shows. Sigh!

Back
Top Bottom