What's new

Who does Pakistan relate to more - Asia or Middle East?

Nailed it.
Yes, a language evolves organically. Not forced. Even a dictator like Zia could not force Arabic on Pakistan--though he thought of that idea, trying to unify Pakistan.

Urdu is just fine. And actually it's being adopted more and more in Pakistan. No need to be scared of Bollywood--they have been around for ever and hasn't made Pakistanis pro India. Maybe watch 'My Fair Lady' to see how some English speak English! :)

PS. It does pain me to see that in Urdu language shows people using English liberally. That doesn't impress me and takes away from the wider reach of such shows. Sigh!
In Pakistan nobody watches bollywood crap. Except for a few idiots.

If language or ethnicity was guaranteed of anything then Afghanis will not be at each other throat for decades now. They are relatively homogeneous ethnically and linguistically. Compared with that Pakistan have done better. There is absolutely no need for dari/farsi in Pakistan, we are fine with urdu.

Afghanistan is not homogeneous.. infact there ethnic groups have bad blood between them ...since centuries.

Pashtuns 40%

Tajiks

Uzbeks

Hazaras

Etc.

And no Pakistani speak dari/farsi in KP, Balochistan. Only few refugees at best who should go back.
Farsi is spoken by Hazaras,Qazilbashs etc.
So we do have a million or two ... Dari speaking Pakistanis.. if not dozens of millions.

As much as I like, respect and admire everything that is related to Pakistan and her culture(s), language(s), nation(s) and tradition(s); the fact that I have to use the plural forms of words like language and nation in the Pakistani context is a strong indication that Pakistan's nation building process isn't completed yet. The case of India is even worse.

In this sense, Pakistan does not relate to Asia nor to the Middle East. Despite their different political constitutions, Turkey, Iran, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are countries based upon one nationhood. Same goes for China, Japan, Russia and Korea.

Pakistan somehow stands between Asia and Middle East afraid of moving forward. And I don't really understand the reasons behind this hesitation. If Punjabis, Pashtuns, Baloch and Sindhis etc. aren't willing to give up at least parts of their regional identities in order to create something bigger, Pakistan will never be able to work properly.

Sometimes I wonder if something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_destruction on a national and societal level could help Pakistan; a powerful re-start. China did the same. Turkey did it with Atatürk. Japan was forced to do it by the Americans.
Haha .. Im Baloch and a bit of a Nationalist (when it comes to ethnicity aswell as country)... but I do agree with your comment.

However... what you consider national building process... is happening ... in urban centers.... aswell in rural areas (but at a micro level).. but such a change is happening... I personally may not agree with your point that we should forget our ethnic or cultural/traditional identity .. but I myself am seeing this happen..

Infact im an example of it... If I was a typical tribal/rural folk.. I would have been chest thumpin too .. would 100% have never got married into another ethnic group...

But since my upbringing happened in urban surroundings... today i can speak or understand other regional languages... I got married in a Pashtun family from a city... which is more distant than perhaps Kerman in Iran or perhaps even Yazd.

Last edited:
Afghanistan is not homogeneous.. infact there ethnic groups have bad blood between them ...since centuries.

Pashtuns 40%

Tajiks

Uzbeks

Hazaras

Etc.

Farsi is spoken by Hazaras,Qazilbashs etc.
So we do have a million or two ... Dari speaking Pakistanis.. if not dozens of millions.

Even endangered languages spoken in Pakistan have more native speakers then dari. I believe hazaras who speak dari are post Soviet invasion refugees. Language spoken natively by couple of million people would have found its way in to census report.

Turkey has her major faults, too. Sometimes I'd like to smash people's head, this is how desperate the Turkish society is making me from time to time. So, Turkey is far away from being a good example for Pakistan. Believe me. It's just that Pakistan needs a change as soon as possible. What would you suggest?

I like Pakistan as the federation it is. At home we argue with each other, but when there is an outside threat all brothers come together to kick ***. I think Pakistanis generally don't like to force their way of life on others and neither do they tolerate anybody imposing theirs. We just live and let live.

Even endangered languages spoken in Pakistan have more native speakers then dari. I believe hazaras who speak dari are post Soviet invasion refugees. Language spoken natively by couple of million people would have found its way in to census report.
Really? do you think COAS Gen Musa was an Afghan refugee?

Or CAS Sharbat Khan Changezi ?

Do you kbow about Hazara Freedom fighters? Hazara regiments of British Army?

Or how about Gen Yahya? He was a Farsi speaking Qazilbash.

Are you an urdu speaker?

Really? do you think COAS Gen Musa was an Afghan refugee?

Or how about Gen Yahya?

Are you an urdu speaker?

Gen Yahya spoke dari? He was born in Jhelum, I doubt he knew sentence of dari. Same is likely case with Gen Musa.

If language or ethnicity was guaranteed of anything then Afghanis will not be at each other throat for decades now. They are relatively homogeneous ethnically and linguistically. Compared with that Pakistan have done better. There is absolutely no need for dari/farsi in Pakistan, we are fine with urdu.
I have no problem with Urdu, provided it's not the current bastardized Urdu which most Pakistanis nowadays speak and which I am also guilty. I would much rather speak, read, write and understand the Urdu that Allama Iqbal knew.
And no Pakistani speak dari/farsi in KP, Balochistan. Only few refugees at best who should go back.
Well a few of my relatives speak it but they're not refugees.

Gen Yahya spoke dari? He was born in Jhelum, I doubt he knew sentence of dari. Same is likely case with Gen Musa.
Yes, he did.. or atleast thats what I read.

Gen Musa Khan, CAS Sharbat Khan Changezi etc were all Dari speaking Hazara.
Infact we have Gen Musa’s Grandson here on the forum..

Do you know Farsi is also spoken in districts of KPK.. including parts of Chitral.. aswell as by communities in Parachinar and Kurram.
In Peshawar its spoken by the Qazlbash community...

It is also a language spoken in GB particularly by Wakhis and in further northern towns of GB.

Back
Top Bottom