What's new

Which one is your favorite Bengali cuisine?

Jhol is used to refer gravy but we don't call jhol to any particular recipe. We call it Torkari. We don't call Kochi Pathar Jhol, we call kochi pathar torkari.

We generally don't use tarkari for non veg item but for veg items only, aloor tarkari, beguner tarkari, mochar tarkari, paneerer tarkari... but generally not mach or mangsher tarkari.

I have had bengali food on occasions, I am not a big fan of it, especially after eating pakistan/north indian mughal cuisine. Bengalis simply can not compete with that type of flavor and cooking

South Indian food is unique though, that's why I liked it

if flavor is the thing you re looking for, then why not go simply for one of the best recognised & a class apart cuisine one who's taste, exoticness & flavors are world class in all sense ! & that's Thai food you should try exotic Thai cuisine you will forget even the best of the Pakistani/north Indian Mughal dishes, Thai food is in a league of its own for eg:
go to any authentic exotic Thai cuisine dining place & the price will be almost double of that of even the most expensive of
indo-pak restaurants, & trust me I have had the privilege to dine both foods in many places around the world, & Thai foods are treated as a luxury every where, be it in Jeddah Saudi, or north America/Europe/austral Asia
anyway its not a food competing thread, but rather an "exclusively" Bengali cuisines one so lets keep it that way

We generally don't use tarkari for non veg item but for veg items only, aloor tarkari, beguner tarkari, mochar tarkari, paneerer tarkari... but generally not mach or mangsher tarkari.

We refer to the whole thing as torkari but the liquid gravy is still jhol....If want the gravy without meat or alu....I would say I want jhol!

That' called paturi..... It's delicious and the fish melts in mouth.

paturi.jpg

yep,it was very soft..

@Aka123 holly crap ! ! that scary clap ! ! mummmmmmmmyyyyyyy ! ! :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not the pink color sweet I was talking about!! Chum chum :fie: so wierd!
why so much confusion ? just because of some colors which is very common amongst sweets from different parts of the world does not makes them the same is it that hard to understand ?
the one your are saying as gulab jamun & has both Pakistani/north India & Bengali versions , there is are many exclusive Bengali sweet like kala jam black on the out side & pink in the interior Bengali these are different then Pakistani/north Indian sweets

http://www.chhedadryfruits.com/medi...b1/s/w/sweets-bengali-sweets-kala-jamun_1.jpg

http://www.chhedadryfruits.com/medi...b1/s/w/sweets-bengali-sweets-kala-jamun_1.jpg

the one you are talking about is this gulab jamun

http://www.indiasflower.com/product_images/w/956/Gulab_Jamun__17177__40878.jpg

Bengali cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chingri mach is also my fav.

hqdefault.jpg

I haven't tasted Kakra (crab) yet. Will taste one day for sure. This is popular in west Bengal but in Bangladesh this is not eaten by majority of people since they are not sure if its halal or makruh to eat Kakra. If chingri is halal then I think Kakra is also halal.

one of the best crab dishes that I ever had was on eid in Jeddah Saudi Arabia, any thing that lives in water is hallal, don't fall for all these typical insecure south Asian halal mongers, they will make you crazy, look at the Arabs they eat even stunned meat even I eat it so, just say Bismillah & have it no problem, only pork is forbidden that's it, except for pork, everything else you can eat
one of the best Arabic crab dishes (Gab-goo-ba maa-fourd) this dish is Saudi riyal 30 & above per plate or 828 rupees pkr or 614.78 taka bd or 506 rupees inr

Emirati Recipe: Boiled Crabs (Gab-goo-ba maa-fourd)

Golda ba Bagda chingrir matha amar favorite.......... My mom cooks a fry type recipe using the head..... and with the body Malaikari....... and I love both.... :D

2-chingri-macher-malai-curry-001.jpg

abey saale after posting this pic, you have increased my kharcha pani by at least $40 (CAD) for the week, one packet of 7 bagda shrimp or badi chingri is $14 so x by 2 at least considering the family its $28 plus coconut mik $2 plus shredded coconut another $10 that's $40 bucks ! gone with your pic !

Back
Top Bottom