What's new

Which Fighter Jet You Would Like To See in BAF Fleet Su-30 MK2/Saab Gripen/J10 B !

64mil USD a piece! Thats a very costly aircraft man!

And, we know we may not get the Swedish Government approval...

not costly if you see what it offers to small nation fighting larger enemy, it's built for small nation to face larger foe (Sweden facing Russia) so good for country facing same type of situation.

Personally I would like to see SU-30. Much proven, potent and reliable. And we should have then en masse in long run.

That's good plane but not good when it comes in limited numbers and low TAT, for Su-30 (latest version) BD must have Mig-35 or similar plane to support it.

Su-35 will be better in all aspects then Su-30 (any version).

Then how about MiG 35 and F-16? How much they can cost?

You may find this resource useful.
https://defence.pk/threads/cost-of-buying-operating-fighters.84507/

It's a bit old though.

I have a hunch their Junta's major source of income is getting percentages from buying weapons (never to be used) by convincing their mostly gullible population that the Bangladeshi threat exists, i.e. fear-mongering.

The Junta has to get bribed regularly, easy way of milking money from the economy. Especially in absence of dissent.

Let most of the purchased weapons rot and polish up a few and parade them through the streets once a year.

Much of the threats they face are internal. From what I gather, they don't face any real threat from their historical foe, Thailand either.

Just over a week ago, a prominent Muslim lawmaker within the NLD was assassinated in the country's capital, just outside Yangon's international airport. We are not entirely certain of what is going on in that country. And there, they say they are 'illegals' from Bangladesh and they apparently laid siege to a police station. Our Burmese friend here says Bangladesh doesn't even come up a single time in their military's mind(?) Notice the angry tone in his wording.

We need to be cautious about them. We shouldn't underestimate them either.

Last edited:
Sorry but some interest is nothing conclusive.

Pak rather wanted Rafael and F-16.

But the deal went cold turkey after the massive earthquake.

As for Gripen, not a hallmark for us. It has always been the F-16 that PAF has been obsessed with.

Gripen E is no doubt a good jet, but we will in an year or so have Block III.

The question was if Pakistan ever considered buying Gripen,
and the answer is yes, Pakistan considered buying Gripen,
but was turned down immediately.

F-16 was embargoed at the time.

JF-17 Block III will be an improvement, but nowhere close when it comes to weapons integration.
Where is the support for Meteor and SDB?
There are other things like EW and data link where Gripen excels.
RCS of JF-17 is much larger than that of Gripen E.
Has been discussed in many threads before.

JF-17 Block III will be an improvement, but nowhere close when it comes to weapons integration.

Yes Pakistan considered in 2004 when we had nothing on our plates because of restrictions and stuff.. But do you really think with Locally produced JF-17 block III any sane mind would go for gripen E ?.. It brings nothing extra ordinary like rafael or euro 2000 to the table..
That rejection was a pressurized US power projection nothing else but was a Bliss for us..

Yes Pakistan considered in 2004 when we had nothing on our plates because of restrictions and stuff.. But do you really think with Locally produced JF-17 block III any sane mind would go for gripen E ?.. It brings nothing extra ordinary like rafael or euro 2000 to the table..
That rejection was a pressurized US power projection nothing else but was a Bliss for us..
Do you believe any sane trained pilot would prefer to fly in a squadron of the JF-17 over a squadron of Gripen E if they were fighting each other?
RAF Eurofighter pilots have respect even for the Gripen C,
and that was before the Meteor integration, which is yet to happen for other eurocanards.
Gripen E will have a later generation of electronics from the same manufacturers
which developed the Eurofighter electronics.
Do You think they did not learn a thing or two?

Do you believe any sane trained pilot would prefer to fly in a squadron of the JF-17 over a squadron of Gripen E if they were fighting each other?
and that was before the Meteor integration, which is yet to happen for other eurocanards.
Gripen E will have a later generation of electronics from the same manufacturers

In post no 21 you said Pakistan would not get approval.. My Question is After JF17 block III why would you think Pakistan will even think of gripen .. Seriously does that make any sense..

guys can we have serious discussion like on these aircrafts advantage over other... instead of bringing burma or even india into the mix... the discussion is about which is worth it over the other... keep on topic please

i would jump aboard a gripen over jf-17 any day... i still think jf-17 and tejas isn't upto the mark fighter compared to gripen or flanker or other western aircrafts

Personally I would like to see SU-30. Much proven, potent and reliable. And we should have then en masse in long run.
i would like to see su-30/35 with mix of mig 35... complementing it... i would like to see the f-7 either moved to ground attack sqd or retired... and form the entire assualt sqd with russian aircraft mostly.... wouldn't mind if we get a1 or 2 chinese j-10 sqd either.

It was out of curiosity really. Not a judgment. I don't see how that qualifies as 'serious'.
really..? lol
We need to be cautious about them. We shouldn't underestimate them either.

And BTW, the Thais didn't use the F-16's on Burma. From Thai news reports, Burmese soldiers retreated when they heard a jet during the border skirmish. What it was, was a routine training flight that happened to fly over.
lol apparently , who take training with full arms near the conflict zone..? o_O
yes. they must say like this. coz they dont want to go conventional war with us.

I see, low-cost easy to get weapons....You didn't mention the Yak-130's, but I'll leave it there.
buying Yak-130 is very clear and we both have no choice.
let's see what we get can in its class.

Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master is just introduced at 2015 which is much later than our orders.
L-15 is just started its mass production lines recently.

so there're only 2 we can get for this role at that time. Yak-130 and KAI T-50.
and what regional countries bought for this role..
Indonesia - T-50 Myanmar - yak-130
Philippine - FA-50 BD- Yak-130
Thailand - T-50
see the countries who close to the west chose T-50. and close to Russia chose Yak-130.. that's all. nobody is following others way.. :closed:

Last edited:
In post no 21 you said Pakistan would not get approval.. My Question is After JF17 block III why would you think Pakistan will even think of gripen .. Seriously does that make any sense..
I don't think that Pakistan thinks about Gripen any longer because Pakistan knows it
will not be allowed to buy.
PDFs is full of postings saying Pakistan needs something better than JF-17.
MiG-35, Su-35, Rafale, Eurofighter, F-35...
Obviously JF-17 does not satisfy all the needs.

How you can say JFT datalink is below Gripen??? JFT have something which no western plan have, that is a datalink which communicates with both western and Eastern systems.

Gripen NG can be better then JFT block-2 but you can not say that about upcoming block-3. What pre-NG version have in terms of datalink capability PAF's old M-3 also have that capability, so you think when older jet was updated with that kind of tech then will they not have similar or better capability in newer birds??

really..? lol

lol apparently , who take training with full arms near the conflict zone..? o_O
yes. they must say like this. coz they dont want to go conventional war with us.

buying Yak-130 is very clear and we both have no choice.
let's see what we get can in its class.

Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master is just introduced at 2015 which is much later than our orders.
L-15 is just started its mass production lines recently.

so there're only 2 we can get for this role at that time. Yak-130 and KAI T-50.
and what regional countries bought for this role..
Indonesia - T-50 Myanmar - yak-130
Philippine - FA-50 BD- Yak-130
Thailand - T-50
see the countries who close to the west chose T-50. and close to Russia chose Yak-130.. that's all. nobody is following others way.. :closed:

btw, T50I we used has an advanced training module and software to made the flight students and instructor can easily convert the training module between Flanker and F16. Special offer from South Korea at the time

Su 35 is a good planes and so with F16 block 72 in which we are currently trying to negotiate to get them both (always great to have one of the most potent Workhorse fighter in the world (F16) working side by side with one of the most potent Heavy Fighter (Flanker series)).

For BD case, i think tandem between Mig series and Flanker series would be ideal as your strike package combo and using your F7 legacy as your Air Defense squadrons (Air Interception units). Goes like Vietnam with all heavy fighter purchase is no no for me, as they will put your budget constraint into much consideration.

The rational first step surely is to complete your Mig squadron first

It's just hilarious how you guys do a quick google search and know so much about planes.:lol:
So many aerospace engineers in PDF.

Name one Indian hardware acquisition by Bangladesh that validates your point. You cannot. Because, there is none. This kind of binary reasoning and paranoia alienated Pakistan not only from Bangladesh but also from rest of the world. Bangladesh as a sovereign nation decides based upon its own interest, own vetting process. It does not kowtow to any other party.

Then will BD going to buy J-10C/D ?

How you can say JFT datalink is below Gripen??? JFT have something which no western plan have, that is a datalink which communicates with both western and Eastern systems.

Gripen NG can be better then JFT block-2 but you can not say that about upcoming block-3. What pre-NG version have in terms of datalink capability PAF's old M-3 also have that capability, so you think when older jet was updated with that kind of tech then will they not have similar or better capability in newer birds??

You get bragging rights once You have presented something which is superior
to everything else, but not before.
Such features might make the plane more suitable for Pakistan,
but does not give You any advantage vs an all Westernforce or all Eastern force.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom