What's new

Where Bangladesh succeeded and Pakistan failed

I still don't understand why they keep migrating to Pakistan given all their economic success
beacuase living in islamabad is like living in EU compare to any city of bangladesh . but sad part is they live sum of machar colony in karachi .

It's still above Oman & Bahrain. And even New Zealand the last time I checked.
they even not consider them a human . the reality on ground is when they see a bangladeshi cleaner working under sun they automatically put the hand in pocket and give them few bucks as you see in last image . its social issue now people are complaining about it .there are hashtags that do not make cleaners beggars do not give them money .

beacuase living in islamabad is like living in EU compare to any city of bangladesh . but sad part is they live sum of machar colony in karachi .

And all those Muhajir neo-liberals in Pakistan who promote them in the media live comfortably in Lahore & Islamabad. I'm not condemning all Muhajirs, but the neo-liberal types in the upper class and some of their Sindhi sidekicks.

I have both Muhajir & Sindhi relatives who think like this. But amusingly they'd prefer to live in Punjab rather than apply for immigration to Bangladesh. We don't need to ask why.

That same subcontinent syndrome.
Yahan ka Baba Adam hi Nirala hai.
How competitors behave
Rest of the world
"I am better then you"
Subcontinent
"You are Shi*tier then me"

Whole region is 3rd world, Majority below poverty line corrupt quagmires. Aik dusrey se compete lar ke khush hui jatey.
Agree. Pot calling the kettle black.

And all those Muhajir neo-liberals in Pakistan who promote them in the media live comfortably in Lahore & Islamabad. I'm not condemning all Muhajirs, but the neo-liberal types in the upper class and some of their Sindhi sidekicks.

I have both Muhajir & Sindhi relatives who think like this. But amusingly they'd prefer to live in Punjab rather than apply for immigration to Bangladesh. We don't need to ask why.
Promote who?

i was surprised when i visit Lebanon . Bangladeshis work there as cleaners and garbage collectors and patrol stations too . yes same labanon where gov is bankrupt since ages. they got salaries in USD . :D

The thing your not taking into account about u.s (although your points about pak society is also fair.) The u.s had black Americans to use and expolit in what ever means they wished, that were paid far less for similar manual skilled/semi - skilled/ unskilled work. Its deep and complex though
True, but that's a wealth distribution issue.

Let's say, for argument's sake, the US was egalitarian for all that time and treated black Americans fairly. In that scenario, more of the wealth would've been in the hands of black Americans yet, in the macro sense, the US still would've had a productive economy. It's just that the composition would've involved a higher proportion of black wealthy people.

It is not like women are empowered and the economy grows overnight. you need a social/cultural environment where women feel empowered.

Most of the bullet points exist in India and Bangladesh to some degree

you left out military spending and conflict with India
Women empowerment doesn't mean shit

True, but that's a wealth distribution issue.

Let's say, for argument's sake, the US was egalitarian for all that time and treated black Americans fairly. In that scenario, more of the wealth would've been in the hands of black Americans yet, in the macro sense, the US still would've had a productive economy. It's just that the composition would've involved a higher proportion of black wealthy people.

Nah, guy you looking at it from an entirely sugar coated angle.

During that African Americans were almost next to nothing - almost free labour at which the industrial complex could exploit to the extent that allowed them to grow faster.

This component /factor meant that for a longer period it allowed white woman to vastly stay at home and enjoy the home luxuries of life - of that decorum of that era.

An industrial complex that little to now obligations to an lesser and more heavier exploited segment work force, mean loss over heads. More productivity and allowing them to pay who they want to pay fairly. Pocketing what they want and and reinvesting to grow.

Where Bangladesh succeeded and Pakistan failed​

Women's empowerment has been a decisive factor in ensuring Bangladesh leapfrogged Pakistan as an economy

Kalshi Flyover

Kalshi Flyover Mahmud Hossain Opu/Dhaka Tribune
Prithwi Raj Chaturvedi
Published: March 21, 2023 3:47 AM | Last Updated: March 21, 2023 4:03 AM

Bangladesh has accomplished what Pakistan was unable to -- a sensible population policy that succeeded in lowering the birth rate.

Pakistan, however, utterly failed in this endeavour. Miftah Ismail, a former Pakistani finance minister, made these remarks while speaking at an event in Karachi.

He cited Pakistan's lack of population planning as one of the causes of the nation's present socio-economic difficulties, adding that “one option to get out of the current maelstrom” was to pay attention to population planning. Miftah Ismail used Bangladesh as a case study of progress and listed four key areas for this: Population control, putting women in the workforce, an export-centric economy, and the establishment of special economic zones.

Miftah Ismail mentioned Bangladesh, Tunisia, and Egypt, saying that these nations too have Muslim societies, much like Pakistan. But all of them engaged in population planning except Pakistan. The former finance minister added that the country's gross domestic product per capita would have been more than 15% if they had matched the fertility rate to Bangladesh's over the previous 10 years. The Pakistani lawmaker said that Bangladesh as well as other South Asian countries like Sri Lanka have progressed significantly due to “accurate planning” whereas Pakistan has been plagued with problems in the last 75 years because of “wrong policies.”

Bangladesh was one of the world's poorest nations in December 1971, the month it gained independence from Pakistan. Its economy and infrastructure had been completely decimated by the catastrophic conflict. The changes Bangladesh has undergone a little over 50 years later are impressive. Since 2000, it has remained among the fastest-growing economies, and in 2015, it crossed the threshold to become a lower-middle-income country. GNI per capita rose to over $2,500 in 2021, a 20-fold leap from its 1971 levels.

Pakistan currently has an average per capita income of US$1,430, while Bangladesh has an average income of US$2,720. The average life expectancy in Pakistan has not increased as much as was anticipated. Whereas Pakistan has an average life expectancy of 67 years, Bangladesh has an average life expectancy of 73 years.

Bangladesh has achieved impressive strides in a variety of areas, but three strategic development decisions it has made over the years -- investing in people, empowering women, and preparing for disasters and adapting to climate change -- have paid off greatly.

The ex-minister from Pakistan who claimed that Bangladesh's quick economic development was made possible by its female workforce emphasized the significance of female engagement.

Women's empowerment was a key component of Bangladesh's plan to fight poverty. The country had one of the lowest rates of female educational attainment in 1991. Bangladesh was one of the first developing nations to achieve gender parity in secondary school enrollment because of a groundbreaking initiative that provided school stipends for underprivileged rural girls, which was later adopted in Mexico, Cambodia, and other nations.

Females currently make up more than half of students enrolled in lower secondary schools, compared to just 17% in 1970. Many thousands of rural women now have jobs thanks to the country's thriving RMG industry. The percentage of women who are in the labour force has climbed from 21% in 1990 to 35% in 2021.

Child marriage has also declined in Bangladesh; there were 28% female students in Bangladesh's educational institutions in 1971, and the percentage jumped to 51% in 2019. After Pakistan's reign, women have made significant progress, thanks in large part to Bangladesh's extensive efforts to remove obstacles to women's education. Because of this, Pakistanis are now clamouring for Bangladesh instead of Sweden, Singapore, or New York.

Bangladesh's achievement in developing itself has allowed it to assist other countries and the world community as a whole such as its great generosity in sheltering more than 1.1 million Rohingya who escaped atrocities in Myanmar. It is astonishing to see how this nation has developed from the destruction of war and natural calamities at the outset of independence to become a middle-income country today and is striving for even greater prosperity for all of its citizens.

Prithwi Raj Chaturvedi is a Researcher and Political analyst based in New Delhi,India

Bangladesh made very good moves economically and their government is very efficient.

And where do people not 'looking for handouts and easy money'? My conservative friends in America lament about how so many people are collecting various benefits and how so few people, relative to the population, pay taxes. One 'disabled' lady friend collecting 'Disability' and had her college loan written off even half-jokingly said that MY taxes are subsidizing her!!

Pakistan was ahead of Bangladesh most of Pakistan's history and can be ahead again. A large part of Pakistan's lower productive might be because a large part of the country is too macho to allow women's participation in the economy. Except for urban Sindh and urban Punjab, the mindset is of from centuries ago. But I also think Bangladesh has been greatly benefiting from political stability under Hasina for many years. Continuity of policies versus the chaos of the time when Hasina and Khalida were ripping BD apart. Pakistan faced political instability in the 'Lost Decade' of the 90s, then one of the worst era of terrorism, and now again political instability since April 2022. Bangladesh also benefits from the Peace Dividends with India, on which count Pakistan is in a very different situation.

But considering overall, Pakistan not only has larger agriculture potentials but also larger industrial and manufacturing potentials. Peace, stability and right leadership is needed.

It’s mostly political instability.

No country is going to invest when Prime Ministers can’t complete their terms. Matter of fact no prime minister has ever completed a full term!

Where Bangladesh succeeded and Pakistan failed​

Women's empowerment has been a decisive factor in ensuring Bangladesh leapfrogged Pakistan as an economy

Sorry I just started reading the article and it's a work of fiction. Bangladesh has a lower birthrate because the density is higher, not because of any firm family planning. Balochistan alone is larger than all of Bangladesh with a population of about ten million. Care to explain that? I am waiting.

Simple. Bangladeshis are patriotic and care about their country whereas Pakistanis are too worried about the non-existent "Ummah" and fail to care about Pakistan.

Bangladeshis also care about the ummah. It’s not just ummah. It’s moreso political stability.

Bangladesh has its house in order, while Pakistan doesn’t. Bajwa’s recent interview shows that.

Back
Top Bottom