What's new

Whatever

EGGPLANT? Good God!

Try this instead:
I have had a mallu biryani as well by a random restaurant in Dubai once, Tasted different but good, Similar to Lahori biryani TBH but a bit inclined towards hyderabadi.

Although the rice weren’t those fat dwarvy ones, Just the thin long rice

Potatoes belong in the biriyani, eggplants don’t... although it taste good... no means no
My srilankan friends mom makes biriyani with fried eggplant... imo an unencessity

We need a jihad/crusade on this aunties pantry, I will personally take all the egg plants and set them on fire.

Seriously, eggplant in biryani, that's heresy. Eww I can't even imagine the taste. :bad:

Coming to potatoes, I think it has something to do with poverty and people's standards of living. The potatoes are used as replacement for meat, they're tasty, filling and cheap.

Potatoes have for long been the one true champion for poor and impoverished people in their neverending fight against starvation.

If you notice we Bengalis don't eat as much meat as compared to pakistanis or Indians (non veg Indians), I think this is because our people still have an atavistic trait from our 'khete khawa' days of poverty.

Overtime, this has changed as we eat more meat now than ever but we still a long ways off. We also need a lot more milk in our diet.

Apologies for going wayward, I get carried away easily.

Coming back to the topic at hand, I enjoy potatoes in Biryani and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't think there's any bangali out there who is against potatoes in their Biryanis.

Potatoes have a earned a place in our heart, our bellies and in our Biryanis.

I have had a mallu biryani as well by a random restaurant in Dubai once, Tasted different but good, Similar to Lahori biryani TBH but a bit inclined towards hyderabadi.

Eggplant biriyani are maple biriyani? Hmm didn’t know

We need a jihad/crusade on this aunties pantry, I will personally take all the egg plants and set them on fire.

Seriously, eggplant in biryani, that's heresy. Eww I can't even imagine the taste. :bad:

Coming to potatoes, I think it has something to do with poverty and people's standards of living. The potatoes are used as replacement for meat, they're tasty, filling and cheap.

Potatoes have for long been the one true champion for poor and impoverished people in their neverending fight against starvation.

If you notice we Bengalis don't eat as much meat as compared to pakistanis or Indians (non veg Indians), I think this is because our people still have an atavistic trait from our 'khete khawa' days of poverty.

Overtime, this has changed as we eat more meat now than ever but we still a long ways off. We also need a lot more milk in our diet.

Coming back to the topic at hand, I enjoy potatoes in Biryani and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't think there's any bangali out there who is against potatoes in their Biryanis.

Idk man, I see my relatives and people in Bangladesh devour meat like crazy, especially beef... many suffers from coronary disease
Potatoes in biriyani isn’t a Bangladeshi exclusivity...
but yes potatoes were seen as a cheap placement for meat although I love my potatoes as much as meat.
As for eggplant, yes begun bhaja in biriyani..
Weird af, not bad but I don’t like to commit blasphemy

Idk man, I see my relatives and people in Bangladesh devour meat like crazy, especially beef... many suffers from coronary disease
but yes potatoes were seen as a cheap placement for meat although I love my potatoes as much as meat.

Bhai, you and me are what one would call "boro lok er chele", I was talking about the masses eating biryani+meat which is still quite a special occasion for these people and Bangladesh/Bengal region as a whole was and is plagued by income disparity.

I'm not saying we don't eat meat, we do but not nearly as much as non Bengalis.

In my native Chittagong, we have feasts called mezbhan, where anywhere from 300 to 5000 people get to eat for free.

These are usually hosted for death anniversaries of someone's nearest and dearest but sometimes also for birthdays or the birth of one's first born.

As many as 5 to 6 cows can be slaughtered on site and prepared for the feast, which is part of the charm, I suppose fresh meat.

Many older people often inform their children about how fancy and how many meals they want to provide for their mezbhan (after they die), for instance we host my grandmother's mezbhan for 600 guests from our village, each year on her death anniversary. It's a time for everyone to get together, have a light moment, a full belly but most importantly it's an occasion to remember and pray for the departed.

My apologies if anyone finds these videos offensive, hurting religious or cultural sentiments is never my intention. :)

Last edited:

Mallu* as in malbari/tamil/kerala people

Great post!

.....thus creating begun-porah, but that's another fantasy. Going further from this, after peeling the skin, you can get to babaganoush, and if you haven't tasted it, I feel really sorry for you.

Just don't try; why invite nightmares?

Byapartare thiki dhorso ('tumi' bolteyasi, kichhu mone koro na, boyosko loker eituku adhikar thake!).

It was an adaptation by Wajid Ali Shah's babarchis to difficult conditions on being forcibly transplanted to Calcutta. They used potatoes to bulk up the biryani, and replace the meat that was at their beck and call in their native Lucknow. So the two deviated; Calcutta Biryani is not recognisable any more as a collateral branch of Lakhnawi Biryani.

....and for the rich and famous in their days of privation.

Even today, if a workman or a team is to be rewarded and they are asked what they want, the

Potatoes have a earned a place in our heart, our bellies and in our Biryanis.[/QUOTE]

Tai to bole Bangali'r alu'r dosh <ducks for cover>

When people talk about Mallu biryani, they are generally talking about Calicut Biriyani (Calicut is nowadays spelt Kozhikode, pronounced Kolikode). Here are two vlogs about it.

First, Rahmat's restaurant.
Second, the famous Paragon restaurant (nothing to do with the very big Hyderabadi chain, Paradise)

Great post!

.....thus creating begun-porah, but that's another fantasy. Going further from this, after peeling the skin, you can get to babaganoush, and if you haven't tasted it, I feel really sorry for you.

Just don't try; why invite nightmares?

Byapartare thiki dhorso ('tumi' bolteyasi, kichhu mone koro na, boyosko loker eituku adhikar thake!).

It was an adaptation by Wajid Ali Shah's babarchis to difficult conditions on being forcibly transplanted to Calcutta. They used potatoes to bulk up the biryani, and replace the meat that was at their beck and call in their native Lucknow. So the two deviated; Calcutta Biryani is not recognisable any more as a collateral branch of Lakhnawi Biryani.

....and for the rich and famous in their days of privation.

Even today, if a workman or a team is to be rewarded and they are asked what they want, the

This is the exact same biryani i had, a tikka piece on top of it with a sauce

102699241_2675616132696866_5837726305381847585_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom