What's new

Whatever

This is a peculiar situation I am facing now. And every one will face sometimes in their life at least two times (one at 40-50 years of age and one at 70). The inheritance, I mean batwara of properties (those who have more).

I mean if your parents do not do it before they die, the children will face all kinds of problems. If they do they will face problems. Will is not binding on anybody according to law (or is it?). What one should do?

I am editing it as it sounds that I am going to partition my property. I am not that old and rather I am waiting for the partition!!

@Joe Shearer can answer better as he is senior and may face or be facing it.

@Levina @ranjeet @Parul @Rain Man @SrNair @anant_s @jbgt90 @WAJsal @Armstrong @WebMaster Your all opinion please

Last edited:
This is a peculiar situation I am facing now. And every one will face sometimes in their life at least two times (one at 40-50 years of age and one at 70). The inheritance, I mean batwara of properties (those who have more).

I mean if your parents do not do it before they die, the children will face all kinds of problems. If they do they will face problems. Will is not binding on anybody according to law (or is it?). What one should do?

@Levina @ranjeet @Parul @Rain Man @SrNair @anant_s @jbgt90 @WAJsal @Armstrong @WebMaster Your all opinion please

Any will is binding upon the family legally by Law. , just remember to get it registered with the SRO .
One cant be emotional with this issue , my advice is make a will (talk to the family before, tell them what you are leaving to whom) and do the paperwork . It will save a lot of fights and bad blood within the family .

Any will is binding upon the family legally by Law. , just remember to get it registered with the SRO .
One cant be emotional with this issue , my advice is make a will (talk to the family before, tell them what you are leaving to whom) and do the paperwork . It will save a lot of fights and bad blood within the family .

Presently, I am not making a will, rather I am waiting for the will. And should the parents let the children know, what they are offering in their will?

It's better to settle it now, just make a will, some states' law also needs it to be registered or something like that. Otherwise your heirs might end up making the lawyers rich. :)

Dadu, apne jeete ji kardo batwara. I can't say more on this subject...

Presently, I am not making a will, rather I am waiting for the will. And should the parents let the children know, what they are offering in their will?
IMHO they should, they should sit everyone down and tell them who is getting what, things are usually sorted out before their death , which means there is harmony in the family .
It was done so in my family , during my parents time , though i am only 40 i too have done so (prepared a will) told my wife and kids and my niece and nephew.

Depends upon the relation...and circumstances.

I will tell my children, and make it clear that I am not dying anytime soon, so they must rely on their own abilities to build their fortune without depending on mine. :)

Depends upon the relation...and circumstances.

I will tell my children, and make it clear that I am not dying anytime soon, so they must rely on their own abilities to build their fortune without depending on mine. :)

Yes, but my problem is that father is a businessman. I left my job and joined him and together we build the fortune. Brother is also an US citizen and is also rich and so my sister and brother in law and we have good relation with each other. But can't say what is in other's mind. specially who have come into our family including wife. So there is a hidden fear as to relations becoming sour!!

I am editing it as it sounds that I am going to partition my property. I am not that old and rather I am waiting for the partition!!

Dada , Will is a legally binding document. If there is one, it is better to respect it.
Money is a pretty important thing in life but I suppose honor and respect of a family in society is bigger. If a person is successful in life, I suppose he/she should accept whatever the will is, even if it appears , he or she didn't get fair share.

@jbgt90 has given you the right advice. But wills can also go disastrously wrong. Even the best drafted wills. I don't know that there is a reasonable solution for this. If your siblings or your surviving parent is unreasonable, you will still get into trouble. One will I know about collapsed because the designated executor refused to act, and did nothing to take probate. Many wills are contested by disgruntled members of the family. People fail to register them. People put in weird clauses that take away the backbone and can be appealed against as contrary to law or to natural justice.

But try to get a will executed, not just by your father, but by your mother as well. They need to get these written to acknowledge each other's presence and each other's wills, otherwise you will have an anomalous situation where one parent makes a will, the other does not, and they unfortunately die in the wrong sequence, not in the way that the world, their doctors and they themselves had foreseen. So the father's will should say what needs to happen if the mother is alive, what needs to happen if she has predeceased him, and reciprocally for the mother, her will should cover both these conditions, in reverse.

I could go on but you need to get the family together on this, and whatever happens, even if the family is not entirely unanimous, there has to be this legal procedure. Do whatever you have to, within reason, and get this done formally, and registered.

They need not. They ought to, but they need not.

Yes, but my problem is that father is a businessman. I left my job and joined him and together we build the fortune. Brother is also an US citizen and is also rich and so my sister and brother in law and we have good relation with each other. But can't say what is in other's mind. specially who have come into our family including wife. So there is a hidden fear as to relations becoming sour!!

The distribution should be fair and logical, rest is not in yours hand.

@thesolar65 - The advices here are correct as per the last few posts. What Joe Sir said is something you should consider very carefully.

A will by a father needs a full endorsement and acknowledgement by your mother to make it properly valid yet there is always a chance of finding some ambiguous loophole to make it look like a "travesty to justice" in the hands of lawyers.

Hopefully one should not face such situations. Whatever is given by being fair, logical and just to the childrens should be accepted.

++
On a side note, brother - you have my account number right.. In today's age i accept paypal to paytm.. anything will do...

Back
Top Bottom