What's new

Whatever

Raja Dahir - :agree:

Porus - No one really knows much about him !

Alexander - Isn't celebrated as a Hero or anything of the sort but simply recognized for his military genius at such a young age and is mentioned whenever someone talks about the Kalash People from the North (who are said to be of Greek descent) or whenever some Alexandrian route or building or anything from his travels is talked about !

Muhammad bin Qasim - Yes he is celebrated as a great Muslim General who introduced Islam to this region !
This is what I read about Porus...
“Porus was the ruler of territories east of Jhelum who fought the battle of the Hydaspes River with Alexander in 326 BC. After he was defeated by Alexander, Alexander reportedly asked him how he wished to be treated. ‘Like a king,’ Porus replied, ‘Everything is contained in the words “like a king”.This answer so appealed to Alexander that he restored the” captive to his realms, and Porus became a vassal In spite of the defeat, Porus was confirmed as ruler in his principality in recognition of his prowess and patriotism”

And are there more hindu kings ??

i remember the white flag you raised last time in that argument....i felt pity....:tongue:

marshmallow and scared? nah never ...too opposite word ...never can meet:p:

I bowed out, i could crush you but I am a Merciful God.

I bowed out, i could crush you but I am a Merciful God.
haha yeah yeah now you would definately say this....what else? .....infact i was merciful that day....could have crushed you more but didnt...you normally go into your saryal mood so quickly so didnt continue further that day....

men are such saryals gosh!:oops:

And by the time its over the world will see a "god" bleed..
hahaha see

Trust me it depends on the brand you've tried and it tastes better with fresh fruits toppings rather than the choco chips.This brand called Frozzy was good and I had tried pineapple flavor.And I must tell you it tasted yumm.
My cup is right in front ,with pomegranate and strawberries in the pic.

okay its ice cream cake then !!!
:-)

I had read about it in APJ Abdul Kalam's book "wings of fire".

ohh thats sad.
Now this is going to be controversial but I thought I'll ask you about it now that this topic has come up.I think you would be one of the few ppl on the forum with whom I can discuss such things .
Alexander is remembered in Pakistan for defeating local Hindu king Raja Porus. Pakistan has honored Muslim crusader Muhammad-bin-Qasim who came and defeated the local Hindu king Raja Dahir of Sindh and spread Islam.
Is it true that Raja Porus and Raja Dahir are treated with contempt because they were hindus???

Yeah I heard, its depends on the brand/maker. but I dont like it

and not even with fruit topping... :angry: I have tried well honestly not by a matter of choice of my own, but all the time, I couldnt develop taste for it... so I prefer ice cream.. it feels good inside :)

yup, ice cream cake :)

the reason I asked you was that my cousin's husband told me about this picture, he used to work with NASA...

As far as Raja Dahir is concern, a BIG YES., its a conflict of interest, being muslim, people here cannot have hindu Rajas as their heroes..the right and wrong is not subject to facts, but whose side you are standing, this is how it is, probably everywhere in the world, for example reading text book of british history develops the sense as if they did nothing wrong ever...

as for Raja Porus, I dont remember studying him in course books, but I guess Alexander, is considered evil, but Raja Porus no good guy either..

And by the time its over the world will see a "god" bleed..

sick-reference.gif

haha yeah yeah now you would definately say this....what else? .....infact i was merciful that day....could have crushed you more but didnt...you normally go into your saryal mood so quickly so didnt continue further that day....

men are such saryals gosh!:oops:

You can live in that fantasy, i am sardial by the way. I have to be but i dont wanna be :(

hahaha see

Paindu it's a movie reference, though he fudged up the words.

This is what I read about Porus...
“Porus was the ruler of territories east of Jhelum who fought the battle of the Hydaspes River with Alexander in 326 BC. After he was defeated by Alexander, Alexander reportedly asked him how he wished to be treated. ‘Like a king,’ Porus replied, ‘Everything is contained in the words “like a king”.This answer so appealed to Alexander that he restored the” captive to his realms, and Porus became a vassal In spite of the defeat, Porus was confirmed as ruler in his principality in recognition of his prowess and patriotism”
And are there more hindu kings ??

There maybe more Hindu Kings - I don't know !

You have to understand that in Pakistan whereas we are conscious of our heritage in the form of the Indus Valley Civilization, Mehergarh, Gandhara etc. for us thats like a past that we can't really relate to in much the same way a Hindu can when the Maurayan Empire is talked about because whereas you guys, more or less, retain the same culture, traditions and values as those Civilizations of ages past did, the advent of Islam changed our world-view dramatically at times and almost 180 degrees at others which means that the sense of ownership dimmed down a bit for us.

I mean take the example of Porus - he was, perhaps, the ancestor of the Punjabis of the Potowhar region but that doesn't mean much because there is nothing in common with what he or his People did and what the People who live now do - there isn't a connection between the two that joins them together as a continuation of one another hence why whereas his significance as someone in the History books is immense, on the ground he doesn't invoke the same kind of sense of ownership that a Hindu may have about Ashoka because there really isn't a common denominator between the two.

Additionally then there is also the nature of Islam where the religion postulated a world-view that sought to purge the adherents of what it perceived to be senseless tribalism where lines are drawn between people on the basis of the language the speak or the ethnic groups they were born into - Some of that has imprinted on the national psyche of Pakistanis & so we don't usually talk about the 5000 year old Histories of ourselves but do feel a sense of greater ownership to a Muslim Civilization as opposed to one exclusive to our ethnic or linguistic groups; which is to say that a Pakistani, on average, feels a greater sense of affinity to the Kingdom of Andalusia where the Golden Age of Islam saw Muslim contribution reach the zeniths of intellectual pursuits of that time, than he does to Porus or Dahir or any of the other Kings from a bygone era that most of us can't really relate to.

Naturally not everyone feels the same way !

You can live in that fantasy, i am sardial by the way. I have to be but i dont wanna be :(

why why why....

yeah but he used it there for a reason! :happy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom