What's new

What has Democracy solve for India? Lesson for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you made a mistake by saying we Chinese think Chinese system is better than Indian system. It is more accurate to say we think the present Chinese system suits China better than the present Indian system.

That's right. :tup:

Each country has chosen its own system, and both systems can be said to be successful, given the economic growth rates of both countries.

East Asian nations are more culturally/ethnically homogeneous, which gives rise to the "East Asian model" of development as seen in places like Taiwan and South Korea, i.e. development under authoritarianism first, then political reform later.

India on the other hand is much more diverse, and there is no dominant ethnic or cultural group in India, unlike China in which the Han are predominant. Democracy therefore is a good way of "venting" frustrations that some sections of society might have, if they feel their ethnic/cultural group is not represented in government.

To sum up, both nations have chosen the system that is best suited for them. In retrospect, the choices were well made on both sides.

You are wrong. The Chinese thread starter wanted to bash the Indian democracy and feel good about your system of governance . I wish the thread was genuinely about the pros and cons of democracy. People would have posted with "mutual respect" that you are talking about. But it is just another Chinese thread reminding yourself that democracy has ruined a nation and you don't want to do anything with it.

The Zhongguo thread starter wanted to reinforced the idea that democracy is not the solution to Zhongguo's problems (among them corruption) as some people think that if Zhongguo switches from its current adaptation of Athenian democracy to any of the present day Western versions, the present problems will be solved.

What really needs to be done is to continue to strengthen the elements of a Republic in Zhongguo as intended by the founder, Sun Yat Sen and Mao who continued to use the term Republic.

It is difficult to explain why people like individual freedom. But now that we have tasted it, there is no going back to authoritarian regime( king/dictator/communist rule).

I believe no Chinese member ever suggests India adpot an authoritarian regime.

An Indian will really be surprised to see a chinease does not find it uncomfortable to live in a totalitarian regime, and a chinease will be surprised why Indians like messy democracy which seems direction less.

No, we are surprised why people can tolerate the poverty in the name of democracy. Democracy is meant to bring in better life, whichI believe is what most Indians want.

Nonetheless, i still respect Indian people's choice. After all, it is none of our businesses.

About chinease being skeptic of democracy, is it because their system delivers better?(Which is most probable reason) Is it because they are told so by the authority?

Why say so? Because we are living in information controlled enviroment, our arguements must be discounted?
The "brainwashing theory" comes up again?

The Zhongguo thread starter wanted to reinforced the idea that democracy is not the solution to Zhongguo's problems (among them corruption) as some people think that if Zhongguo switches from its current adaptation of Athenian democracy to any of the present day Western versions, the present problems will be solved.

What really needs to be done is to strengthen the elements of a Republic in Zhongguo as intended by the founder, Sun Yat Sen and Mao who continued to use the term Republic.

An immediate transition to multi-party "Western-style" democracy, would be catastrophic for China.

In the next decade or so, the most that can happen is "limited" political reform as suggested by Wen Jiabao.

What really needs to be done is to continue to strengthen the elements of a Republic in Zhongguo as intended by the founder, Sun Yat Sen and Mao who continued to use the term Republic.

Can I ask a question, do you not like to use the English word "China"?

Just curious.

i have no fascination with communism, but if given a choice to people, they will chose democracy over Communism.

Er sorry...India's democracy is hardly an example for China.

And oh someone need to tell you Communism and Maoism is more alive in India and other part of the world then in China.

That is why 2 million Taiwaneses are living with their family on China.

Twin Tale: Rising China, Japan's setting sun - CNN.com

Without a job or any concrete employment plan, Fukuko took off to Beijing, China. Three days later, she landed an interview and then subsequently was hired by an interior design company.

That would be impossible in Japan, says Fukuko, pointing out that Japanese companies hire according to rigid rules and entrance exams, so landing an interview quickly is out of the question.

Her current job in Beijing, she says, is challenging, rewarding and interesting. Her new country, says Fukuko, is where her future lies.

"You can feel a lot of optimistic, energetic (feelings) here. People are so optimistic. It's really, really powerful because everyone knows that the economy is doing really well. Japan's the opposite. It's sort of going down."

When asked to share advice with young people in Japan, Fukuko says, "I think people should go out."

Should they leave Japan? Fukuko quickly responds, "I think so. I think so."

That's right. :tup:

Each country has chosen its own system, and both systems can be said to be successful, given the economic growth rates of both countries.

East Asian nations are more culturally/ethnically homogeneous, which gives rise to the "East Asian model" of development as seen in places like Taiwan and South Korea, i.e. development under authoritarianism first, then political reform later.

India on the other hand is much more diverse, and there is no dominant ethnic or cultural group in India, unlike China in which the Han are predominant. Democracy therefore is a good way of "venting" frustrations that some sections of society might have, if they feel their ethnic/cultural group is not represented in government.

To sum up, both nations have chosen the system that is best suited for them. In retrospect, the choices were well made on both sides.

you made a very valid point, those who dont know, let me tell you, We indians don't wear the same clothes, we don't look like the same, we don't have one religion or interpretation of religion or thought of school, we don't have the same cuisines, we are not following one ideology but many, we speak multiple languages(a normal indian atleast communicate in three languages - native, hindi(it doesnt work in most of the states) and english, we follow different cultures and tastes, all combined we have a strong national identity and a ordinary indian always respect this diversity though we have lots of problems.

This is the best i could describe to you guys who live in a homogeneous society unlike india.There is no other way to accommodate all these entity but democracy.yes we acknowledge that yet we are not a matured democracy, If you could understand then there are three rights to each citizens.

1. right to vote
2. right to information
3 and right to call back any representatives(inactives)

We have just enabled the right to information, and as the education will prevail, will do implement the last one.Its a general perception in india that now we must discuss/implement the politics of development.

Last edited:
i have no fascination with communism, but if given a choice to people, they will chose democracy over Communism.

you seem to forget that the people did choose communism. it was the biggest uprising in history. who do you think were the people who overthrew the US backed military dictatorship that outgunned and outnumbered the communists? you think it was magic?

as for india...

call centers
corruption
caste system

no need to say more.

It is difficult to explain why people like individual freedom. But now that we have tasted it, there is no going back to authoritarian regime( king/dictator/communist rule).

Also, for a country like India which is full of diversity, allowing everybody to participate in decision making process, gives them hope,aspiration and a stake in society.

Also Indian democracy is federal in structure, keeping our diversity in mind.

An Indian will really be surprised to see a chinease does not find it uncomfortable to live in a totalitarian regime, and a chinease will be surprised why Indians like messy democracy which seems direction less.

About chinease being skeptic of democracy, is it because their system delivers better?(Which is most probable reason) Is it because they are told so by the authority?

I am interested to know a north korean view of democracy.

we have more freedom than any indian can imagine. food. fuel. education. transportation. internet. just these 5 things (which are everywhere in china) make us more free than any indian. we have the freedom to not starve, to not freeze, to go where we want, to check the information we want, without worrying about being deprived by POVERTY.

IMO:

Freedom: It has simply empowered the Indian ppl over the Chinese. They won't get jailed for protesting government legislations or killed for dating a top official's daughter.

Indignity: Democracy is a Western trademark ideology. Don't group Indian/Indonesian democracy with ours.

Stability: With over 2000 ethnic groups living in harmony, this can only lead to a more stable future as racism dissipates and technology advances, compared to communist China which spends half of its time maintaining control over its ppl.

Poverty: It's been over 60 years since the Brits left. The average Indian hasn't gotten any richer.

luckily, the japanese government doesn't need to keep control over its people. the US does that for you, especially the women near their military bases still occupying the country 60 years later. and the funny thing is, japan is paying the US to control them.

When you running out of arguments and you trying hard to accuse me of mixing up with "religion" ? nice try anyway.:tup:

As far as i a'm concern, "Caste system" is a evil socio-economic system and had nothing related to Hinduism also Caste system in India survived till today regardless of religion. Wake up please.:D

Caste System has everything to do with Hinduism. Perhaps if u even know the book called Bhagavad Gita then u will know how caste system came about.

In this book (which by the way contains verses by Lord Krishna to Arjuna on a battlefield is said to contain the gist of all the vedas and puranas in it) Lord Krishna mentions how the different people came out of him in to living.

If we leave this aside there is consensus to some extent among learned persons that the Caste system was intended to be a classification of people for easy governance at first. The Brahmins are those who perform rituals or pujas while kshatriyas or Kings take care of protection of the settlement where ever it is. The vysyas or traders take care of business and money and sudras or all the other persons take on other mundane works like pottery, wood work , metal works etc etc.

It is deplorable that as the time went on people of certain castes tried to make their will to be laid up on others. This is degeneration of social system which unfortuantely carried on for ages.

Caste system for classification of people is alright, except that it shouldn't be somehow made hereditary.

And if it was for classification of people then I think it's not adequate for todays people anymore because there are alot more roles and some people fill multiple roles in society.

forget it, doesn't worth my time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jha
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom