What's new

What has Democracy solve for India? Lesson for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A serious claim for early democratic institutions comes from the independent "republics" of India, sanghas and ganas, which existed as early as the 6th century BC and persisted in some areas until the 4th century AD. The evidence is scattered and no pure historical source exists for that period. In addition, Diodorus (a Greek historian at the time of Alexander the Great's excursion of India), without offering any detail, mentions that independent and democratic states existed in India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga%E1%B9%87a_sangha

During the Iron Age in India, the fertile Ganges plain slowly urbanised, with cities forming and trade developing. Like ancient Greece, India during this Vedic period, power lay in many city states rather than one empire. Some of these were kingdoms, and some were oligarchies or republics. Sophisticated urban life encouraged a flowering of philosophy and introspection. The Buddha was born in one such state, Kapilavastu, home to the Shakya chiefdom.

In modern times, the Republic of India is referred to as a gana-rajya; Bharat Ganarajya (भारत गणराज्य).

Now go and suck up to westerns as if they are gonna ever accept you as one of their own.

^To whom it may concern.

Those who dont know about hinduism or wary of the concept of religion.Hinduism is not susceptible to criticism.

Criticism of Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As it accept criticism, we have eradicated the concept of sati completely and
heading towards removal of caste system, though it shaped over centuries and will take time to eradicate.

In urban india, you wont find caste subjugation, nor in south india(rural+urban) you find it derogatory. The main center of caste discrimination is in rural north india. Even you can find it among converted muslims of south asia.

"hinduism is mainly divided in two parts - 1. spiritual hinduism 2. ceremonial hinduism. In spiritual hinduism a lower caste man/woman can become a sage to preach the masses" - swami vivekananda.
e.g. Valmiki, Vyasa, Narada, Karna, Thiruvalluvar.

the problems which you are talking about is with ceremonial religion, that too is shrinking.

Last edited:
I think some Indians had better not lie, then you might get some real opinions from the Chinese.

Caste system for classification of people is alright, except that it shouldn't be somehow made hereditary.

And if it was for classification of people then I think it's not adequate for todays people anymore because there are alot more roles and some people fill multiple roles in society.

If u read my post carefully that is exactly what i am saying, the current situation of caste based politics and ruckus thereof is due to the degeneration of a social system manipulated by a few powerful who wanted to hold on to their positions. Over thousands of years this changed in many ways.

I think some Indians had better not lie, then you might get some real opinions from the Chinese.

Don't pass comments which cannot be understood by any one, if u want to troll do it in an organized manner. There are many here from whom u can learn.

Don't pass comments which cannot be understood by any one, if u want to troll do it in an organized manner. There are many here from whom u can learn.

I insist on this point.

1440756631_5b8b1e8d32.jpg

This is what democracy has done for India. With the amount of cultures, traditions, religions, sects, classes etc that India has, any other country would have broken up within 1 year. The Indian democratic structure has held the country together and not once have we been under a dictator or military rule. India has grown exponentially since its inception and yes problems exist, but only democracy can solve them. We might be lagging behind some countries but we are also in front of a whole bunch. The westerns ashirwad your talking about applies to some of our neighbors, India was growing at the same percentage even during the sanctions years. Democracy has given India a stable political environment and a strong national identity which as per PEST Analysis model is key in the long term growth of any country. Our efforts are starting to pay off now and InshaAllah one day we will accomplish all our dreams.

YouTube - I am India

YouTube - India Rising

Wow !! You even cared to reply to that canard ?

but the fact is it does fare better and Chinese politicians don't have 1.5 trillion in swiss bank accounts (that's more than your annual GDP isn't it?)

How did you arrive at this Alice-in-wonderland figure ?? A media report perhaps !!

And that is where the word "Transperancy" comes into play.Now dont jump on my throat saying that Chinese media is transperant to report on the corruption in China(CPC) and the PLA business empire.

You should tell that to my British and Canadian friends who are Chinese citizens, i.e. they were born here.

In HK perhaps --- we are talking about mainland China. :D

Last edited:
And that is where the word "Transperancy" comes into play.Now dont jump on my throat saying that Chinese media is transperant to report on the corruption in China(CPC) and the PLA business empire.

What is the "PLA business empire"?

How did you arrive at this Alice-in-wonderland figure ?? A media report perhaps !!

And that is where the word "Transperancy" comes into play.Now dont jump on my throat saying that Chinese media is transperant to report on the corruption in China and the PLA business empire.

I agree ...how come he came up wid that figure??

That's right. :tup:

Each country has chosen its own system, and both systems can be said to be successful, given the economic growth rates of both countries.

East Asian nations are more culturally/ethnically homogeneous, which gives rise to the "East Asian model" of development as seen in places like Taiwan and South Korea, i.e. development under authoritarianism first, then political reform later.

India on the other hand is much more diverse, and there is no dominant ethnic or cultural group in India, unlike China in which the Han are predominant. Democracy therefore is a good way of "venting" frustrations that some sections of society might have, if they feel their ethnic/cultural group is not represented in government.

To sum up, both nations have chosen the system that is best suited for them. In retrospect, the choices were well made on both sides.

Well written, took the words out of my mouth :tup:

When you running out of arguments and you trying hard to accuse me of mixing up with "religion" ? nice try anyway.:tup:

As far as i a'm concern, "Caste system" is a evil socio-economic system and had nothing related to Hinduism also Caste system in India survived till today regardless of religion. Wake up please.:D

Wrong. The "Varna" or "Caste System" that the English called it, had everything to do with Hinduism. The caste system was not found in the Vedas, however was in fact mentioned in other Hindu mythological scriptures such as "The Bhagavad Gita" and "The Mahabharat",
Pretty much the whole Indian Subcontinent uses the "caste" reference to identify oneself, be it Hindus or Muslims (even after some converted from Hinduism)

It's a horrible practice nonetheless, but other civilizations have had the same ideology such as in medieval Europe, Middle East etc where they had a King, Knight, Trader and then Peasants. It's a horrible practice to treat another so low, however the caste system in India is deteriorating slowly.

Not worth discussing..forget it...

Like someone said:-- " Bandar kya jaane adrakh ka swad :..

Last edited:
Can I ask a question, do you not like to use the English word "China"?

Just curious.

Chin Hwang a bit too ruthless but as first emperor his vision still bugs us. To this day, we still build "Great Walls" more often than "Sui Canals". Also, why use the name of what foreigners uses? Among ourselves, it is Zhongguo not Chinguo. Anyway, good time to start training them in elementary mandarin. To this day, so many people can't pronounce Yuan right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom