What's new

We need to bring the Biharis left behind To Pakistan

AgNoStiC MuSliM

ADVISORS
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Richard Harris on twitter tweeted about this. I think it is something we need to re-focus on, especially since we have a Prime Minister who displays empathy towards those who have been wronged.

As a Pakistani Punjabi, I would be in favor of (at least initially) settling them in various parts of Punjab. We are a massive province of 100 million people and can easily absorb them without causing any kind of demographic imbalance.

The goal would be to spread out the settlements in various cities and towns, rather than one large settlement, to reduce the impact on any one town or city.

Richard Harris on twitter tweeted about this. I think it is something we need to re-focus on, especially since we have a Prime Minister who displays empathy towards those who have been wronged.

As a Pakistani Punjabi, I would be in favor of (at least initially) settling them in various parts of Punjab. We are a massive province of 100 million people and can easily absorb them without causing any kind of demographic imbalance.

The goal would be to spread out the settlements in various cities and towns, rather than one large settlement, to reduce the impact on any one town or city.

Hi,

If we can send the afghan refugees back to afg---and then we should look into getting the biharis into pakistan.

Now the problem of settlement---. They won't settle in punjab---they will all run towards karachi---after promising to settle in punjab.

Some people in Pakistan(so called Secularists) are very racist. They would make it as another Urdu Speaking People coming to Pakistan. You did saw the tweet of that Racist Professor of Sindh.

they will all run towards karachi---after promising to settle in punjab.
Hope they do. Not only Karachi but Hyderabad, Sukkur and Mirpurkhaas to

Hi,

If we can send the afghan refugees back to afg---and then we should look into getting the biharis into pakistan.

Now the problem of settlement---. They won't settle in punjab---they will all run towards karachi---after promising to settle in punjab.
In the long run they might, after they've established themselves, or they might not.

The idea would be that they get free housing when they are settled. Conditions can be applied that said housing cannot be sold to another buyer and reverts back to the State if the occupants leave (and can then be allocated to other deserving individuals). It'll be hard for people who will need to look for jobs, enroll children in schools and build their lives from scratch to give up the option of free housing just to move to Karachi.

I don't know if it would be constitutional to put in place any kind of legal restriction preventing then from moving out of Punjab.

No. They must come to Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur and Mirpurkhaas. Can come to Nawabshah and Tando ALLAHyar too
The PPP will never agree and will use this as an excuse to manipulate ethnic divisions in their favor in Sindh. That's why I said right off the bat that they only way this discussion will even go anywhere is if we agree that the settlement of Biharis HAS to be in Punjab.

You're asking them to basically weaken their voter base, and even though Pakistan's liebrals/leftists worship the PPP for being 'progressive', the reality of PPP is that it is a petty, vindictive, and regressive party that banks on playing the ethno-linguistic card and Feudals to stay in power.

The PTM/ANP will manipulate this as 'anti-Pashtun'.

Some of the Baloch groups don't even want the existing non Baloch ethnic groups (settled there for generations) to remain.

Sindh is struggling with tensions over non-Sindhis.

Punjab is the only option.

good idea .

The PPP will never agree and will use this as an excuse to manipulate ethnic divisions in their favor in Sindh. That's why I said right off the bat that they only way this discussion will even go anywhere is if we agree that the settlement of Biharis HAS to be in Punjab.

You're asking them to basically weaken their voter base, and even though Pakistan's liebrals/leftists worship the PPP for being 'progressive', the reality of PPP is that it is a petty, vindictive, and regressive party that banks on playing the ethno-linguistic card and Feudals to stay in power.

Some of the Baloch groups don't even want the existing non Baloch ethnic groups (settled there for generations) to remain.

Isn't nationalism strong in Punjab?

If they want to migrate, please take them. we will surely provide a one-way ticket to.

It's not so much about nationalism itself, but about the kind of nationalism.

Punjab's main concerns will be additional funding to help offset the cost of settling hundreds of thousands of people in the province - that's something that can be negotiated.

If they want to migrate, please take them. we will surely provide a one-way ticket to.
We're talking about the ones left behind in Bangladesh, not Indian Biharis.

Punjab is the only accommodating and liberal province in truest sense. I truly regret that my forefathers settled in Sindh. I have one other family who settled in Punjab and they are doing incredibly well... None of them ever reported of any ethnic or racial tensions with natives of Punjab.

Punjab is the only accommodating and liberal province in truest sense. I truly regret that my forefathers settled in Sindh. I have one other family who settled in Punjab and they are doing incredibly well... None of them ever reported of any ethnic or racial tensions with natives of Punjab.
Well, as a Pakistani Punjabi, thank you for the compliment.

But it's not like we don't have our faults or some degree of racism as well. And going by some of the village politics that my father would discuss with me and that I experienced first hand, they can be as cunning, vindictive and petty as anyone out there.

But I do think that at a macro level, on ethno-linguistic issues, Punjab is far less reactionary (or has fewer reactionary nationalist groups with large followings) than the other provinces.

I don't think this will ever materialize for primarily two reasons.

1) Sons of soil ( Except Punjabis) are very un-accepting of anyone outside of their relative ethnicities. Afghans were somewhat acceptable because KPK pashtuns had sympathy for them.

2) Migrants are not native to this land hence there will never be any significant support for their repatriation. They are dispensable group. We all how they have been historically treated.... Quota system , 1986 , 1992 , 1996 state sanctioned operations , Bihari non-acceptance , Jinnahpur lies and etc.

Back
Top Bottom