What's new

We need to bring the Biharis left behind To Pakistan

They should be brought back but won't this make the Punjab province more over crowded?

They should be brought back but won't this make the Punjab province more over crowded?
A few hundred thousand shouldn't make a difference in a population of one hundred million. If done properly and spread out in different towns and cities, the impact at the local level should be manageable, in my opinion.

As a non-Punjabi....Why do Punjab has to burden itself every time ... Why can't other province step up to the plate ?

Exactly, Punjabis shouldn't be the only ones accepting of other ethnic groups within our land. Others should take notes too. We already have a lot of population density in the province while vast and large provinces like Balochistan are empty.

A few hundred thousand shouldn't make a difference in a population of one hundred million. If done properly and spread out in different towns and cities, the impact at the local level should be manageable, in my opinion.

Indeed it wouldn't make that great of a impact. But there's still the problem of other provinces being unfriendly to their non-natives though.

Hi,

I can see SABOTAGE written in invisible ink in your posts---.
As much as I want to disagree with you .. You are right...

Sindhi Nationalists were actually the one who blocked the transfer of bihari migrants.

Indeed it wouldn't make that great of a impact. But there's still the problem of other provinces being unfriendly to their non-natives though.

Yup... It is only Punjab that is accommodating for everyone.
Sindhis come here for jobs and work but they still shit talk about Punjabis and are very resentful of Punjabis settlers in Sindh
Same is case with some Pashtuns who call Punjabis kaliya and other racial slurs but still they work and study in Punjab
Well we all know what Balouchis are upto ....

It is a tragedy that none of the other provinces are as contributing to the country as Punjab.

If they want, they are more then welcome, but dont impose all of them on Sindhis who are already living in fear of being outnumbered by non Sindhis, take them to Punjab, KPK or Balochistan along with alien bengalis.

Last edited:
I don't think this will ever materialize for primarily two reasons.

1) Sons of soil ( Except Punjabis) are very un-accepting of anyone outside of their relative ethnicities. Afghans were somewhat acceptable because KPK pashtuns had sympathy for them.

2) Migrants are not native to this land hence there will never be any significant support for their repatriation. They are dispensable group. We all how they have been historically treated.... Quota system , 1986 , 1992 , 1996 state sanctioned operations , Bihari non-acceptance , Jinnahpur lies and etc.

Afghan migrants were allowed into Pakistan by Zia regime. But it did not result in a major backlash as it did not pose a challenge to ethnic-demographics of tribal areas & former-NWFP. This does not mean they were welcomed with open arms by the locals there. I have seen some held back resentment in Pakistani Pashtoons against Afghan migrants.

As much as I want to disagree with you .. You are right...

Sindhi Nationalists were actually the one who blocked the transfer of bihari migrants.

Yup... It is only Punjab that is accommodating for everyone.
Sindhis come here for jobs and work but they still shit talk about Punjabis and are very resentful of Punjabis settlers in Sindh
Same is case with some Pashtuns who call Punjabis kaliya and other racial slurs but still they work and study in Punjab
Well we all know what Balouchis are upto ....

It is a tragedy that none of the other provinces are as contributing to the country as Punjab.
I know your Punjabi nationalism is running high at the moment but do note that Punjabis form close to 20% of the population of Karachi. Same with Pathans. The largest population of Pathans in any city isn't Kabul or Peshawar but Karachi. Karachi also has lakhs of Bengalis, Biharis who moved here after 1971. There are millions of Afghans in Karachi as well.

So while it is good to be nationalistic about your own province don't make it seem that Punjab is the only one that is handling the burden.

Afghan migrants were allowed into Pakistan by Zia regime. But it did not result in a major backlash as it did not pose a challenge to ethnic-demographics of tribal areas & former-NWFP. This does not mean they were welcomed with open arms by the locals there. I have seen some held back resentment in Pakistani Pashtoons against Afghan migrants.

You said the same thing with different angle. Afghan Pushtoons were acceptable because both of them were of same ethnicity.. Same can't be said of Migrants.

Well, as a Pakistani Punjabi, thank you for the compliment.

But it's not like we don't have our faults or some degree of racism as well. And going by some of the village politics that my father would discuss with me and that I experienced first hand, they can be as cunning, vindictive and petty as anyone out there.

But I do think that at a macro level, on ethno-linguistic issues, Punjab is far less reactionary (or has fewer reactionary nationalist groups with large followings) than the other provinces.
My father's relatives settled in Gujranwala. LOL they have become Punjabis due to their accent

We would remember to mention you on Pakistan's tombstone.
LOL kisi ka baap Pakistan ka kuch n ai bighaarsakta

If they want, they are more then welcome, but dont impose all of them on Sindhis who are already living in fear of being outnumbered by non Sindhis, take them to Punjab, KPK or Balochistan along with alien bengalis.

Yes. But even KPK, Punjab (including the South), and Balochistan will not welcome them. From what is apparent, the provinces, the federation, and the institutions are not keen on bringing Biharis to Pakistan. From what I have heard, Bhutto surprisingly was willing to bring them to Pakistan but he withdrew from doing so under pressure by nationalists in Sindh and perhaps other provinces also. This, however, may just have been a move to garner political support from Urdu speaking people and he might not have actually intended to bring them here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom