What's new

Was the FC-20 ever officially confirmed to be the J-10 (any variant)?

Awesome

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
I remember the PAF guys slipped the term first time even before there was any mention of such a designation for a plane.

Did China ever confirm that this FC-20 is indeed the J-10 or was it just assumed so since that was the top Chinese plane under development then?

I think it is J-10B.
More correctly its the export version of the J-10b. However I'm just looking for some sort of better confirmation of this fact, since we all just assumed so, even JDW articles are speculating without quoting any Chinese official.

I remember the PAF guys slipped the term first time even before there was any mention of such a designation for a plane.

Did China ever confirm that this FC-20 is indeed the J-10 or was it just assumed so since that was the top Chinese plane under development then?

You are right , they are very "picky" in choosing words to describe FC-20 as J-10B and i have noticed it on many occasions both here and during my personal talk.

What makes me suspicious is the time period of delivery as if J-10B is what we are getting then the deliveries should start from 2012 as the bird is almost operational.

No Price has been mentioned , just on few times i have heard about the price to be around 40 million a piece but they were all unconfirmed reports.

We would have to sit and wait i guess.

you mean FC-20 is the stealth one nt the j-10B.. :P
That would imply that PAF knew about the J-20 program... If they knew they wouldn't casually mention FC-20 in an interview for such a tightly guarded program.

That would imply that PAF knew about the J-20 program... If they knew they wouldn't casually mention FC-20 in an interview for such a tightly guarded program.

Without being too speculative , most weird thing is the time period and i will try to investigate it.;)

I heard the rumor that the inhabitants in Chengdu have seen a lot Pakistanis during the day of maiden flight, most of them are military staffs and were most likely being invited.

Last edited:
More correctly its the export version of the J-10b. However I'm just looking for some sort of better confirmation of this fact, since we all just assumed so, even JDW articles are speculating without quoting any Chinese official.

i think we need to wait patiently for further information

possibility does exist that j10b has not been finalized yet.

CAC has produced a few of j10B. are they still under test at Xi'an Yanliang flight-trial center or already being operational? we don't know about that.

good news is that CAC is building a new plant to boost its production capacity. its current production rate can not meet domestic and export demand.

@Asim Aquil and Blackblood

I personally watched an interview of ex ACM which was recorded i think 2008 in which he clearly said "very soon high tech aircrafts j-10 will be inducted by the PAF"

but one thing that is interesting is the designation of the aircraft ,throughout the history we have changed the alphabetical designation but not the numeric like

For J-7 we used F-7
For Q-5 we used A-5
For J-6 we used F-6

but for J-10 it F-10 would have been more appropriate as compared to FC-20

But still i don't think it has to do anything with J-20 because according to AFD program it has been mentioned clearly that PAF will not induct any twin engine fighter before 2019 plus i don't think J-20 will be available to us and if so not too soon

@Asim Aquil and Blackblood

I personally watched an interview of ex ACM which was recorded i think 2008 in which he clearly said "very soon high tech aircrafts j-10 will be inducted by the PAF"

but one thing that is interesting is the designation of the aircraft ,throughout the history we have changed the alphabetical designation but not the numeric like

For J-7 we used F-7
For Q-5 we used A-5
For J-6 we used F-6

but for J-10 it F-10 would have been more appropriate as compared to FC-20

But still i don't think it has to do anything with J-20 because according to AFD program it has been mentioned clearly that PAF will not induct any twin engine fighter before 2019 plus i don't think J-20 will be available to us and if so not too soon

I am not advocating J-20 here , but there are suspicions around which we are trying to get straight.

I would like to see that interview too if you can link me up please.

I heard the rumor that the inhabitants in Chengdu have seen a lot Pakistanis during the day of maiden flight, most of them are military staffs and were most likely being invited.

They are linked with JF-17 program.

Back
Top Bottom