What's new

Was the FC-20 ever officially confirmed to be the J-10 (any variant)?

I am not advocating J-20 here , but there are suspicions around which we are trying to get straight.

I would like to see that interview too if you can link me up please.

Sure. i will try to find it out on youtube as it was ~2years ago when i watched that .Hope so it has not been deleted

In the end, time will tell. *Every* Chinese-manufactured plane fielded by Pakistan has had the same product number used in the Chinese one. Perhaps the strategy was to mention "FC-20" and give the Indians a little anxiety over any unfortunate adventures that they might be anticipating to pull, with their future hardware.

Also remember, that the previous PAF chief also mentioned that we would be inducting 5th generation aircraft in a decade. And mentioning FC-20 wouldn't have compromised China's J-20 programme in any way, because before China's publically demonstrating it's J-20 prototype, everyone naturally assumed that FC-20 would automatically be J-10.

Time will tell, you should hope and pray that Pakistan does get the J-20(and that the J-20 is the "hi" in China's future hi-low combination). China's been very open in letting Pakistan field it's latest hardware, and Pakistan has gotten into trouble numerous times giving China access to all western hardware it got, tomahawks crashing in Baluchistan, Mirages in the 70's, F-16s(which were also fielded by Taiwan) in the 80's. Chances that China would sell seem good, even Russia will sell it's "hi-end" T-50, and also the "low" variant Mikoyan's building.

Time will tell, you should hope and pray that Pakistan does get the J-20(and that the J-20 is the "hi" in China's future hi-low combination). China's been very open in letting Pakistan field it's latest hardware, and Pakistan has gotten into trouble numerous times giving China access to all western hardware it got, tomahawks crashing in Baluchistan, Mirages in the 70's, F-16s(which were also fielded by Taiwan) in the 80's. Chances that China would sell seem good, even Russia will sell it's "hi-end" T-50, and also the "low" variant Mikoyan's building.

Indeed, Pakistan has helped us a lot in the past. Of course, PRC won't be selfish with their PAK brothers.

Furthermore, J-20 is not the high-end tech for us. 2015-2020 shouldn't be a problem to offer J-20 to PAF.

Just curious if Pakistan has interest to go for the twin-engined version?

Indeed, Pakistan has helped us a lot in the past. Of course, PRC won't be selfish with their PAK brothers.

Furthermore, J-20 is not the high-end tech for us. 2015-2020 shouldn't be a problem to offer J-20 to PAF.

no country will sell tech straight out of the development labs. even if it was up for sell, it will take a while before the factories finishes PLAAF orders.

and personally, J-20 is too much like a bomber. and no country exports bombers.

no country will sell tech straight out of the development labs. even if it was up for sell, it will take a while before the factories finishes PLAAF orders.

and personally, J-20 is too much like a bomber. and no country exports bombers.

It is air superiority, and it is not that much bigger than raptor in fact.

And friendship between China and Pakistan is deeper than you can even imagine.

Our friendship is not based on racial allegiance like US and Europe, but more on mutual respect and gratitude.

Last edited:
@Asim Aquil and Blackblood

I personally watched an interview of ex ACM which was recorded i think 2008 in which he clearly said "very soon high tech aircrafts j-10 will be inducted by the PAF"

but one thing that is interesting is the designation of the aircraft ,throughout the history we have changed the alphabetical designation but not the numeric like

For J-7 we used F-7
For Q-5 we used A-5
For J-6 we used F-6

but for J-10 it F-10 would have been more appropriate as compared to FC-20

But still i don't think it has to do anything with J-20 because according to AFD program it has been mentioned clearly that PAF will not induct any twin engine fighter before 2019 plus i don't think J-20 will be available to us and if so not too soon

China is going to designate FC-1 as J-9 while we call it JF-17T so there is no commonality between -9 and -1 and JF-17. Also it was reported that Musharaf had seen the presentation of J-10s and said something like "Fcuk F-16s, lets go for these Chinese birds!". So Mushraf must have not been given a presentation about J-20 some 4-5 years back when J-20 might not have existed even in prototypes + it would take J-20 another 3-5 years to be able to induct.. and China will induct most of them for itself before starting to export which means another 5 years. How could Musharaf refer to something that would be available after 8-10 years in comparison to something that was available then? And we all know what urgency PAF had to induct new fighters.

We all know our Aircraft Service Staff during Zhuhai air-show had easy access to J-10s and this also gives you some clue + we are witnessing many changes in J-10s evolving into J-10B and all the changes it is going through are the ones which Pakistan would/could need. Summing up.. what you heard about FC-20 is most probably (if not conclusively) J-10B. And here go my 2C for that.

China is going to designate FC-1 as J-9 while we call it JF-17T so there is no commonality between -9 and -1 and JF-17. Also it was reported that Musharaf had seen the presentation of J-10s and said something like "Fcuk F-16s, lets go for these Chinese birds!". So Mushraf must have not been given a presentation about J-20 some 4-5 years back when J-20 might not have existed even in prototypes + it would take J-20 another 3-5 years to be able to induct.. and China will induct most of them for itself before starting to export which means another 5 years. How could Musharaf refer to something that would be available after 8-10 years in comparison to something that was available then? And we all know what urgency PAF had to induct new fighters.

We all know our Aircraft Service Staff during Zhuhai air-show had easy access to J-10s and this also gives you some clue + we are witnessing many changes in J-10s evolving into J-10B and all the changes it is going through are the ones which Pakistan would/could need. Summing up.. what you heard about FC-20 is most probably (if not conclusively) J-10B. And here go my 2C for that.

J-20 project has been planned for 20 years, president Musharaf can surely know some inside information for sure.

I do not think Pakistan would need stealth bombers as we have respectably developed missile program.. what Pakistan might seek is an air-superiority fighter which may well be double-engined. We are hearing PAF don't have doctorine to induct double engined aircrafts before 2019 and thats 8 years down the road.. by then we can imagine a double engined and stealth version of J-10B or J-15 would be out which PA might be acquiring but there are quite a few may and mights but how things will turn out are hard to say for now.

For J-20s, we might ask Chinese brothers to send a squadron to bomb Indian @ss when needed :p but for our own use we would go for something from China which is not on the table for the world to see.

Last edited:
J-20 project has been planned for 20 years, president Musharaf can surely know some inside information for sure.

I agree with you on the time-line but F-16, a single engined, non-stealth, light-weight fighter vs Double-Engined, Stealth and heavy fighter doesn't make a match. You can choose between FC-1 & F-16 but not FC-1 and F-22. To me J-10B and J-20 are a mile apart in every respect and the closest alternate to F-16 could be the earlier one.

it's the same size as a f117

The airframe is clearly designed for air to air engagements. The over all length if 21 meters, less than a meter longer than the F-23 blackwidow. I guess the F-23 was a bomber as well?

Speaking of bombers both the FB-22 and Su-34 use the airframes of air superiority fighters. Goes to show that size is not exactly a good indication of a plane's role.

Also who told you that no one exports "bombers" or "fighter bombers"? The F-111 was exported to Australia and I believe the Russians are looking for Su-34 customers as well.

They are Pakistanis, and many Chinese can tell the difference.

Forget the jets!! This above statement has to be the most brilliant one in this discussion!

I go to New Jersey often, and I get mixed up all the time. So please Chinese Tiger, tell us how to tell the difference?

Much obliged in advance:china:

Here are the known J-10 variants:

- J-10A / FC-10: single-seat 4.5-gen multirole fighter
- J-10S: twin-seat multirole fighter trainer
- J-10B / FC-20: upgraded 4.5+ multirole fighter
- J-10B naval variant
- J-10C: twin-engine carrier J-10B variant

Back
Top Bottom