What's new

U.S. Cyberattack Hurt Iran’s Ability to Target Oil Tankers, Officials Say

firstly a cyber attack is not an equal response to a kinetic attack that shoots down a 200 million dollar military asset in "international waters" and humiliates the world "hegemon".

secondly, cyber attacks are a one off event. you use it you lose it. even if their supposed attack did anything, it just means they permenantly lost the ability to repeat it. and gave Iran a way to counter it, and learn about American cyber attack capabilities even more.

I just don't see how in any way, shape or form can this be considered a "success" for the US. its quite pathetic actually, as it shows they cant do s&** and have to boost about supposed invisible "cyber attacks" that are impossible to independently verify.

firstly a cyber attack is not an equal response to a kinetic attack that shoots down a 200 million dollar military asset in "international waters" and humiliates the world "hegemon".

secondly, cyber attacks are a one off event. you use it you lose it. even if their supposed attack did anything, it just means they permenantly lost the ability to repeat it. and gave Iran a way to counter it, and learn about American cyber attack capabilities even more.

I just don't see how in any way, shape or form can this be considered a "success" for the US. its quite pathetic actually, as it shows they cant do s&** and have to boost about supposed invisible "cyber attacks" that are impossible to independently verify.
It is a very effective measure when you have lost the real thing. You try to win in stories and words and believe it or not, it works to restore the moral. Examples:

• Xrex's invasion to Greece was a successful military masterpiece. Iran used floating bridge technique for the very first time and moved its military into Greece much faster and earlier than what the enemy expected. They expected Iran to either go around Black sea due to Greece superior naval force or try to move them by trims which then would be countered by Greek navy. Iran crushed Greeks resistance, captured Athens and burned its throne. Mission accomplished. It was never Iran's plan to annex it as Greece, as it is right now is nothing more than a rocky land with low agricultural value. Their main income has always been through trade. Now see what they have turned this humiliating defeat to! They build movies like 300 and show that Iran has actually lost that battle and refer to the fact that Iran left Greece as a clue.
  • Iran vs Israel. Who is really winning? Isn't it that Iran is now actually at the doorsteps of Israel? Isn't it that Iran's proxy was able to defeat Israel in 2006? Isn't it that Iran has actually won all the proxy wars in the region so far. In response, all Israel has been able to do is to terror Iran's scientists and do some limited attack and run stand off bombardment with very limited effect on the bigger picture. But they way they post it on media has convinced everyone, including some Iranians that Iran is hurting badly and is incapable to do anything about it.
US is doing the same thing. Before you know it, everyone would think Iran got such a crushing response that it never dared to repeat what it did again. Media and public relation is very important; something Iran has been historically weak at.

This is an obviously fake and manufactured story, designed to gain political points domestically in order to not look like complete eunuchs.
  • Straight of Hormuz is 40 miles wide at it's narrowest
  • You can literally see tankers with binoculars
  • Cyber attacking a supa sekret database prevents Iran from simply speed boating and helicoptering it
  • Even if it did exist, why wouldn't it be backed up if it was that critical?
  • Why couldn't Iran just use tankertracker, which is a readily available platform that has the same function?
  • Why didn't the cyberattack prevent Iran from seizing Stena Impero?
  • Why would the US compromise their cyber capabilities to Iran just to attack a tanker tracking database?

It is a very effective measure when you have lost the real thing. You try to win in stories and words and believe it or not, it works to restore the moral. Examples:

• Xrex's invasion to Greece was a successful military masterpiece. Iran used floating bridge technique for the very first time and moved its military into Greece much faster and earlier than what the enemy expected. They expected Iran to either go around Black sea due to Greece superior naval force or try to move them by trims which then would be countered by Greek navy. Iran crushed Greeks resistance, captured Athens and burned its throne. Mission accomplished. It was never Iran's plan to annex it as Greece, as it is right now is nothing more than a rocky land with low agricultural value. Their main income has always been through trade. Now see what they have turned this humiliating defeat to! They build movies like 300 and show that Iran has actually lost that battle and refer to the fact that Iran left Greece as a clue.
  • Iran vs Israel. Who is really winning? Isn't it that Iran is now actually at the doorsteps of Israel? Isn't it that Iran's proxy was able to defeat Israel in 2006? Isn't it that Iran has actually won all the proxy wars in the region so far. In response, all Israel has been able to do is to terror Iran's scientists and do some limited attack and run stand off bombardment with very limited effect on the bigger picture. But they way they post it on media has convinced everyone, including some Iranians that Iran is hurting badly and is incapable to do anything about it.
US is doing the same thing. Before you know it, everyone would think Iran got such a crushing response that it never dared to repeat what it did again. Media and public relation is very important; something Iran has been historically weak at.
You are absolutely correct about Public Relationship and propaganda in today's world and how weak Iran has been in this field. History has been written by the victors and the fact that Iran went into deep hibernation for over 500 years does not help. A good example is how the Jewish archeology is hard at works to produce fake or semi fake archeological evidence in the occupied Palestine to re-write the history of that region and the history of christianity and of the Bible and wash away the blood of Jesus from the jewish hands... they are also trying to to fake the history that they did not come from Egypt and indeed were the original inhabitant of Palestine so the right of return for Palestinians is not valid.

PR and propaganda is a powerful tool and they have it now and Iran is way behind in this field.

Why reconstruct while you can restore

You cant always restore data on computers, especially when deleted because of a cyberattack, because that person who performed the attack would want the data to be deleted permanently. This is achieved by several ways, one of which is to write something else in the same memory rooms the data is stored on, it can be done by a virus constantly copying itself on the same storage device, and if such thing is done, the data cant be restored anymore.

But regarding the US's claim that they performed this cyberattack, it's probably propaganda and nothing else. As some people said above, such a file wouldn't be worth much because iran actually doesnt need such data to perform attacks, as it has radars constantly scanning the gulf and it can detect any ships passing by, and even if iran has such files, it probably has several backups of the same file, and it's normal to get offline backups of such files as the files can be deleted for any reason, including accidental deletion by the user, so even if the news is true, the US did nothing important.

All those who happen to be denial mode, should recall the Natanz nuclear facility disaster due to American cyberwarfare initiative.

They (Americans) are the architects of computing technologies, and understand how to exploit these technologies very well.

Why would Iranian government want people to know what went wrong behind-the-scenes? They do not want to look weak in public.

And I know from personal experience that data recovery is a futile effort after whitewashing activity.

Americans are not attacking Iran in force because Iran seems to have a role to play in its designs for the Middle East; Americans do not want to give too much power to GCC royals. They never trust anybody blindy.

All those who happen to be denial mode, should recall the Natanz nuclear facility disaster due to American cyberwarfare initiative.

They (Americans) are the architects of computing technologies, and understand how to exploit these technologies very well.

Why would Iranian government want people to know what went wrong behind-the-scenes? They do not want to look weak in public.

And I know from personal experience that data recovery is a futile effort after whitewashing activity.

Americans are not attacking Iran in force because Iran seems to have a role to play in its designs for the Middle East; Americans do not want to give too much power to GCC royals. They never trust anybody blindy.

That was almost a decade ago, and currently iran has the ability to get into CENTCOM networks, gain whatever info they want, control their drones, and the US cant do anything about it, and iran already demonstrated this capability in syria and iraq. Iran has heavily invested in its cyber warfare capabilities over the years and its not easy to get into its network anymore. I am not saying that they are better than the US in this field, as the US has lots of experience and better technologies.

And again i am saying, the files that the US has claimed to have destroyed arent that of a high value to mean anything.

And people like you should stop thinking that the US is the only country to have the knowledge in such stuff, as there is a process called learning, in which humans learn new stuff, and the fact that iran has reached to such a high level today while being sanctioned for 40 years means that they have been learning and discovering new stuff, and they are one of the leading countries in some of the most important stuff in the world, and no one can deny that.

That was almost a decade ago, and currently iran has the ability to get into CENTCOM networks, gain whatever info they want, control their drones, and the US cant do anything about it, and iran already demonstrated this capability in syria and iraq. Iran has heavily invested in its cyber warfare capabilities over the years and its not easy to get into its network anymore. I am not saying that they are better than the US in this field, as the US has lots of experience and better technologies.
This is why YOU (Iranians) are not taken seriously in any forum, your propaganda is not even funny anymore.

Do you realize that CENTCOM have a cybersecurity division? Its job is to thwart potential hacking attempts from any entity in the world. If a breach ever occurred, it is 100% that it was detected and plugged.

If Iran had the capability to breach American military networks at will, it would have crashed entire American security apparatus and rendered American military ineffective in a few hours. This nonsense might fool your fellow Iranians but independent obervers would laugh at your face or declare you a mental case. Kid, even the likes of Russia and China (both have credible cyberwarfare capabilities) does not have this level of capability in the field.

Do you understand how Natanz was breached? Natanz is not linked to WWW, and it was subjected to sabotage in 2014.

NSA does the dirty work, and its methods of intervention are are beyond the grasp of majority in the world. This is not like a nerd experimenting with a pirated hacking software at home.

Regardless, I pointed out an excellent example (i.e. Natanz nuclear facility incident in 2014) and simply cautioned that US is not a foe to be taken lightly. Don't jump up and down or pretend to be something you are not.

I really do not desire an argument or make a case for Americans, but whenever I glance in this section, I notice cringeworthy claims and cannot help but roll my eyes and say something.

Last edited:
You cant always restore data on computers, especially when deleted because of a cyberattack, because that person who performed the attack would want the data to be deleted permanently. This is achieved by several ways, one of which is to write something else in the same memory rooms the data is stored on, it can be done by a virus constantly copying itself on the same storage device, and if such thing is done, the data cant be restored anymore.

But regarding the US's claim that they performed this cyberattack, it's probably propaganda and nothing else. As some people said above, such a file wouldn't be worth much because iran actually doesnt need such data to perform attacks, as it has radars constantly scanning the gulf and it can detect any ships passing by, and even if iran has such files, it probably has several backups of the same file, and it's normal to get offline backups of such files as the files can be deleted for any reason, including accidental deletion by the user, so even if the news is true, the US did nothing important.
you always can restore from a backup.

I knew usa is god , please show us wreckage of two or more of drone they destroyed with that truck ,at least show us video of it. do you realize these claims are how childish , these files worth nothing .
stux net was important because it destroyed hardware not software . for software you restore a backup , no need to pull your hairs of , and again this database worth shit , the information in it is opensource and you don't need it at all . also we visited three tanker after the said attack and 2 of those three are still in our custody , how your mighty cent-com explain it.

Because there might be nothing to reconstruct...u might have to start from scratch aka from 0.
you restore a backup . you knew the ones you get incrementally at the end of each working day and keep someplace safe . also the ones that you made at the end of each week or month from your system

I knew usa is god , please show us wreckage of two or more of drone they destroyed with that truck ,at least show us video of it.
Ad hominem

Please tell me [why] Iran failed to become a nuclear power? [how] Natanz nuclear facility was breached? [Why] Iran cannot do anything about Israeli strikes on its interests in Syria and even in Iraq? I can ask questions as well.

USA is far ahead of Iran in all aspects, your personal insecurities notwithstanding. Godhood is irrelevant here.

Ad hominem

Please tell me why Iran failed to become a nuclear power, and how Natanz nuclear facility was breached? Why Iran cannot do anything about Israeli strikes on its interests in Syria and now Iraq?

I can ask questions as well.

USA is far ahead of Iran in all aspects, your personal insecurities notwithstanding.
first according to mighty ,infallible USA ,iran was not pursued nukes since 2003
second ask Russian contractors about Natanz .

about Israel , do we have any airdefence in Iraq or Syria ? and did mighty Israel attacked us ?

Ad hominem

Please tell me [why] Iran failed to become a nuclear power? [how] Natanz nuclear facility was breached? [Why] Iran cannot do anything about Israeli strikes on its interests in Syria and even in Iraq? I can ask questions as well.

USA is far ahead of Iran in all aspects, your personal insecurities notwithstanding. Godhood is irrelevant here.
this isnt a case of ad hominem. pls use it properly..lol. im too tired to answer your questions now...ur pretty smart but sometimes you have gaps in logic...cheers

Back
Top Bottom