What's new

Type 075 Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD) News & Discussions

also correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't the superstructure of a CV made in a different way than that of an LHD? because may be that of an LHD can't handle the burden of fixed wing aircraft constantly slaming into it when landing, so maybe they make it harder which makes it cost more, arresting gear would probably add some 200$ million, the only way to land aircraft without arresting wires is if it's a VTOL which China currently lacks & even then the superstructure might need to be made harder to withstand the heat from the aircraft engine when it's directed downward.

c19386b2ly1g7eekz556og209v05kx6r.gif

From weibo via 浙中指挥长

What is the use of making such a large LHD? It was better if it was made into an aircraft carrier. LHD is not really useful. It is better to use transport/cargo ships instead of LHD to transport tanks and other equipments abroad. All other operations are better done by other type of ships
What a loser comment. You must be feeling sour that China has it while you can only dream about it? I can bet that if India Navy has one, you will brag about how powerful and effective LHD can be. Its good that you are banned and stick your comment to yourself.

Looks like the whole dry dock was flooded. Anyone knows how it was done to prevent the other ship from floating up?
what do you mean? Dry dock space is allocate for a single ship only. They pump out water to keep ship dry when gate is shut. They flood the dry space and open the gate when ship is ready to return to sea.

what do you mean? Dry dock space is allocate for a single ship only. They pump out water to keep ship dry when gate is shut. They flood the dry space and open the gate when ship is ready to return to sea.
You didn't know? Two 075s were being built in the same dry dock. One of them was just launched. My question is how they manage to avoid impacting the one still being built up during the launch.

You didn't know? Two 075s were being built in the same dry dock. One of them was just launched. My question is how they manage to avoid impacting the one still being built up during the launch.
I don't know. But if I am the dry dock designer, it's easy. Just use something like inflatable rubber dam.

2901065512.jpg

some people (including many Chinese members) still falsely claim that size does not matter when some one expresses his disapointment that the 075 isn't as large as the Wasp, they dismis those who say braging rights is important for navies. saying something like "we don't need something that big, 35k ton is the sweet spot", but no 35k ton is not the sweet spot, you could just build something like the Mistral.. 21k ton, carries 16 heavy helis & costs 600$ million, since China would surely build more LHDs than France & labour cost in China is much lower than in France then that would make a Chinese 21k tonne LHD close in cost to a PLA FFG thus allowing China to aquire more of them to spread out it's ASW helis on a larger area (there was a 25k ton export variant of the 075), if 35k tonnes is the sweet spot then why will China build a larger 075A! there isn't any kind of aircraft that a 35k tonne won't (in the future) be able to operate, after all much smaller LHDs can operate VTOL fighters, that is why I can confidently say the only reason why the PLA wants to build a larger 075A is purely for braging rights (which is the right thing to do) , especially in NE Asia where even midget states like Korea have giant warships, you need to have bigger warships than them to force them to respect you.

I believe the reason why they built the smaller LHD before the bigger one is because the core components of the 075A (ie: engines etc..) where still not ready/proven, & they where only ready when China already built many of the components of the smaller 075, since they cant just dispose of the 075 components they decided to use them up in building 3 smaller LHDs.

that is why I can confidently say the only reason why the PLA wants to build a larger 075A is purely for braging rights (which is the right thing to do) , especially in NE Asia where even midget states like Korea have giant warships, you need to have bigger warships than them to force them to respect you.

China doesn't need bragging rights. Chinese build large ships because they need them and they can afford them.

some people (including many Chinese members) still falsely claim that size does not matter when some one expresses his disapointment that the 075 isn't as large as the Wasp, they dismis those who say braging rights is important for navies. saying something like "we don't need something that big, 35k ton is the sweet spot", but no 35k ton is not the sweet spot, you could just build something like the Mistral.. 21k ton, carries 16 heavy helis & costs 600$ million, since China would surely build more LHDs than France & labour cost in China is much lower than in France then that would make a Chinese 21k tonne LHD close in cost to a PLA FFG thus allowing China to aquire more of them to spread out it's ASW helis on a larger area (there was a 25k ton export variant of the 075), if 35k tonnes is the sweet spot then why will China build a larger 075A! there isn't any kind of aircraft that a 35k tonne won't (in the future) be able to operate, after all much smaller LHDs can operate VTOL fighters, that is why I can confidently say the only reason why the PLA wants to build a larger 075A is purely for braging rights (which is the right thing to do) , especially in NE Asia where even midget states like Korea have giant warships, you need to have bigger warships than them to force them to respect you.

I believe the reason why they built the smaller LHD before the bigger one is because the core components of the 075A (ie: engines etc..) where still not ready/proven, & they where only ready when China already built many of the components of the smaller 075, since they cant just dispose of the 075 components they decided to use them up in building 3 smaller LHDs.
A larger variant: Type 075A LHD
If a source close to the Chinese naval sector is to be believed, the PLAN would have planned several batches of construction for the Type 075 program. The first batch would involve three vessels and a single unit of a larger version, presumably the Type 075A, which would be at the design stage by the 708 Institute of the CSSC group.

As for its specifications, rumors speak of “36,000 tons of displacement”, “capacity of 28 helicopters”, “diesel engine with the 9,000 kW 16PC2-6B and “four CIWS including two HQ-10 and two H/PJ-11”

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-new...71-lpd-program-start-of-the-type-075-lhd-one/

16PC2-6B is not 9,000 kw, it's 12,000 kw which is 16,000 hp. 075 should used 4 of them, total 64,000 hp. In this case, the size is limited by power.

America-class amphibious assault ship 45,693 t, Two gas turbines, two shafts, with 70,000 bhp (52,000 kW) total, Two 5,000 hp (3,700 kW) auxiliary propulsion engines. 20 knots

http://www.sxd408.com/zxzx/tpxw/330471.htm
http://www.sxd408.com/zxzx/tpxw/332659.htm
http://www.cnnpn.cn/article/16248.html

A larger 075A need more powerful engine if 075A keep 25 knots which is faster than America-class amphibious assault ship

Last edited:
As long 2nd ship construction over ship water line will be not impact to ship. from picture 2nd ship construction already at helicopter hanger level just line 1st ship status in June. i guest 2nd ship will be launch in December, now 3th ship will be built beside 2nd ship.

As long 2nd ship construction over ship water line will be not impact to ship. from picture 2nd ship construction already at helicopter hanger level just line 1st ship status in June. i guest 2nd ship will be launch in December, now 3th ship will be built beside 2nd ship.
Then you need to lower it when building the 3rd ship in the place of the 1st.

especially in NE Asia where even midget states like Korea have giant warships
Korea is not a midget state. They are an industrialised power and one of the most advanced /developed country on the planet. So calling them a midget state is pushing things too far. They are small only in size(land and population to a lesser extent ) not power and influence.

Korea is not a midget state. They are an industrialised power and one of the most advanced /developed country on the planet. So calling them a midget state is pushing things too far. They are small only in size(land and population to a lesser extent ) not power and influence.
Korea is a giant when compared to something like say Greece, but it is a midget state when compared to China, not only it's population & landmass are relatively small but even it's GDP is only slightly larger than that of well developed Chinese province (eg: Jiangsu), that is SK is essentially the size of a PRC province.

I can agree with you about smaller LHDs being less expensive meaning China can build quite a decent number of them, but at the same time large LHDs aren't really a bad thing. In fact, a large LHD for the PLA Navy isn't much about bragging rights but more so about transporting a larger number of helicopters and troops over the ocean than smaller amphibious assault ships such as Mistral-class or Dokdo-class.

Back
Top Bottom