What's new

Type 075 Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD) News & Discussions

some people (including many Chinese members) still falsely claim that size does not matter when some one expresses his disapointment that the 075 isn't as large as the Wasp, they dismis those who say braging rights is important for navies. saying something like "we don't need something that big, 35k ton is the sweet spot", but no 35k ton is not the sweet spot, you could just build something like the Mistral.. 21k ton, carries 16 heavy helis & costs 600$ million, since China would surely build more LHDs than France & labour cost in China is much lower than in France then that would make a Chinese 21k tonne LHD close in cost to a PLA FFG thus allowing China to aquire more of them to spread out it's ASW helis on a larger area (there was a 25k ton export variant of the 075), if 35k tonnes is the sweet spot then why will China build a larger 075A! there isn't any kind of aircraft that a 35k tonne won't (in the future) be able to operate, after all much smaller LHDs can operate VTOL fighters, that is why I can confidently say the only reason why the PLA wants to build a larger 075A is purely for braging rights (which is the right thing to do) , especially in NE Asia where even midget states like Korea have giant warships, you need to have bigger warships than them to force them to respect you.

I believe the reason why they built the smaller LHD before the bigger one is because the core components of the 075A (ie: engines etc..) where still not ready/proven, & they where only ready when China already built many of the components of the smaller 075, since they cant just dispose of the 075 components they decided to use them up in building 3 smaller LHDs.

35000tons isn't consider small... Just becos its slight smaller than Wasp or America LHD, it still consider a class above than many other LHD. Let me ask you, right after Wasp and America. Which countries LHD is bigger than 075?

If China 002A carrier is only 85000tons and smaller than Nimitz and Gerald Ford. Are you going to classify its a medium or small carrier?

Let me ask you, right after Wasp and America. Which countries LHD is bigger than 075?
I meant it is relatively small, that is when comapred to the Wasp it is smaller (by maybe 4k-5k tonnes), obviously it is still bigger than anything else.

I confused with troller here, who trying to convince this Type 075 LHD 'small'
What a stupid comment.

Type 075 LHD have 40,000 tonnes when it fully loaded, it's much much bigger than LHD or light carrier from other countries including French, spain, italy, south korea, and japan.
And roughly in the same size of Wasp Class (41,000 tonnes fully loaded)

https://sputniknews.com/amp/militar...a-launches-first-type-075-helicopter-carrier/

I confused with troller here, who trying to convince this Type 075 LHD 'small'
What a stupid comment.

Type 075 LHD have 40,000 tonnes when it fully loaded, it's much much bigger than LHD or light carrier from other countries including French, spain, italy, south korea, and japan.
And roughly in the same size of Wasp Class (41,000 tonnes fully loaded)

https://sputniknews.com/amp/militar...a-launches-first-type-075-helicopter-carrier/
is your brain that much incapable of comprehending what I wrote even after repeating it time & time again? I said it's relatively small when compared to the Wasp or latest America (45k tonnes) which is a well known indisputable fact, a difference of 6k-9k tonnes is not a small difference, you are the troll here not me.

Then you need to lower it when building the 3rd ship in the place of the 1st.

Dock will close again and all water will sucked out, become dry dock to continue construction 2nd and 3th unit LHD

35000tons isn't consider small... Just becos its slight smaller than Wasp or America LHD, it still consider a class above than many other LHD. Let me ask you, right after Wasp and America. Which countries LHD is bigger than 075?

If China 002A carrier is only 85000tons and smaller than Nimitz and Gerald Ford. Are you going to classify its a medium or small carrier?
China cannot continuously build something less grandeur than the United States ones, be it the LHD, carrier, sub etc, for that's how the world is measured! But I will be patient to wait and see. It may take few more years to see clearer, after all China just really started to build those high quality warships in the last 5~10 years, roughly. But every year the rolling progresses will be coming out and we gonna see with better clarity year after year, after all we all at best can only see the partial picture, we never know the whole puzzle and the related planning. Just be patient and watch with full optimism :china: Just one year ago or so, we all never know when a 075 would come out aside from all the paper info.

Those bright days when PLA incl PLAN have assets comparable to its counterpart in the U.S. will definitely come in not very far distant future! One must have a faith! And I do!

China cannot continuously build something less grandeur than the United States ones, be it the LHD, carrier, sub etc, for that's how the world is measured! But I will be patient to wait and see. It may take few more years to see clearer, after all China just really started to build those high quality warships in the last 5~10 years, roughly. But every year the rolling progresses will be coming out and we gonna see with better clarity year after year, after all we all at best can only see the partial picture, we never know the whole puzzle and the related planning. Just be patient and watch with full optimism :china: Just one year ago or so, we all never know when a 075 would come out aside from all the paper info.

Those bright days when PLA incl PLAN have assets comparable to its counterpart in the U.S. will definitely come in not very far distant future! One must have a faith! And I do!
Size is not everything. If China for the sake of bragging rights build something bigger but redundant or more costly to maintain. If serves no purpose. Let me give you an example.

Kirov battelcruiser vs 055, which is more modern and has a higher chance of survival if one on one? Sure kirov is bigger at 23000tons vs 12000tons but is that how shallow we concluded the result?

I was wondering what is the cost of a 075, I don't think we recieved any reports regarding that so I did a little guesstimate, so the Mistral (21k ton) costs 600$ million, hypothetically a Mistral enlarged to 36k ton would cost less than 1050$ billion, obviously building one large ship would cost less than building two smaller ships that are aproximatpey half the size because it would have only one set of equipment (eg:Radars, sensors etc.. ), so probably 960$ billion, however labour costs in China are much lower so the 075 probably costs around 800$ million unless if it was built to higher military standards, however most likely it was built to lower comercial standards considering that it took less than a 052D to finish.

Kirov battelcruiser vs 055, which is more modern and has a higher chance of survival if one on one? Sure kirov is bigger at 23000tons vs 12000tons but is that how shallow we concluded the result?

that is not a fair comparison though.. the Kirov is using ancient outdated technology that is like comparing an Iowa battleship to a Ticonderoga, a better comparison would be.. Type 052D to what ever Burke variant that is equal in technology, the Burke would be better because it's simply bigger so it can carry a bigger load, as simple as that.

img-633545e5a91acfff94ab61e12482109a.jpg

Via @Neo双垂尾蓝光 from Weibo

I was wondering what is the cost of a 075, I don't think we recieved any reports regarding that so I did a little guesstimate, so the Mistral (21k ton) costs 600$ million, hypothetically a Mistral enlarged to 36k ton would cost less than 1050$ billion, obviously building one large ship would cost less than building two smaller ships that are aproximatpey half the size because it would have only one set of equipment (eg:Radars, sensors etc.. ), so probably 960$ billion, however labour costs in China are much lower so the 075 probably costs around 800$ million unless if it was built to higher military standards, however most likely it was built to lower comercial standards considering that it took less than a 052D to finish.

I guest around usd 500-600 mil

that is not a fair comparison though.. the Kirov is using ancient outdated technology that is like comparing an Iowa battleship to a Ticonderoga, a better comparison would be.. Type 052D to what ever Burke variant that is equal in technology, the Burke would be better because it's simply bigger so it can carry a bigger load, as simple as that.

I don't think that bigger means always better. The history of WW2 thought us a lot. Where Japanese big warships became the victim of small American Torpedo boats. Also, to send the bigger 055 Destroyer is actually riskier than to send 2 052D Destroyers. Because number still work as dominant influence to gain an advantage in battle. And to send a bigger ship means that you lose more men, more missiles, more everything when the ship is sunk.

Back
Top Bottom