What's new

Type 052D DDG News & Discussions

The Type 055 will basically use the same level of technology as the Flight III model, but it will be a bit larger, thus it is superior.

So you subscribe to the belief that it is the 12,000t model, with 128 VLS?

I've heard this rumor, and it's hopefully going to come true, but in looking at the past vessels the PLA has launched, it doesn't seem to be the way they operate. There seems to be only a marginal increase in displacement for every new type built. Do you know if there is a reason why the Type 055 will be any different.

BTW, if what that Henri K guy (not sure his name; I forgot) says ends up being accurate, and he apparently has good connections because he has a good track record, then the PLA will actually be commissioning a class superior to anything the US has in store!! That is of course until the Zumwalt-class comes along (though due to US financial meltdown there will only be three!!).

FLIGHT III will have 6 meter arrays. That casing, judging by the stanchions (regularly 1.1m tall) is bit over 4 meters.
Bigger ships haul bigger radars, and size does matter. China had been needing better muscles...
Just look at the size of that panel.

FLIGHT III will have 6 meter arrays. That casing, judging by the stanchions (regularly 1.1m tall) is bit over 4 meters.
Bigger ships haul bigger radars, and size does matter. China had been needing better muscles...

I doubt the flight III will happen. There won't be money for it. At this rate, Obama will have wrecked the economy by then.

I doubt the flight III will happen. There won't be money for it. At this rate, Obama will have wrecked the economy by then.

It'll happen, if nothing else america wants the advantage on china. Whether it will still be able to maintain it in a decade is debatable. But the americans will try.

Besides, it's a ship, not a planet. American budget can accomadate a few billion dollars here and there.

It'll happen, if nothing else america wants the advantage on china. Whether it will still be able to maintain it in a decade is debatable. But the americans will try.

Besides, it's a ship, not a planet. American budget can accomadate a few billion dollars here and there.

I was ranting.

But on a more serious note, flight III might not happen for other, more technical reasons. I read an article two weeks ago that there are some rumblings that Navy should scrap flight III and replace it with a clean design. If I recall correctly, Arleigh Burke's hull design doesn't give enough room for future upgrades and increasing demands for power. The article talked about scaling down technologies from DDG-1000, etc.

Then again, it could all just be nothing.

High-rez photo. Open in new tab or window to see in full resolution.

9575349363_77e1c73e08_o.jpg

We need more than 50.

We need 80 cruisers and destroyers.

Dozens of these type 052D and type 055 will make the Yankees think twice before they ever mess with us.

Thats a lot of Destroyers, and would be a massive investment for the Chinese goverment.

I do think, that in the second half of this decade 2015-2020, we shall see the PLAN concentrating on larger classes of warship.

I do expect to see a decent number of 052D's and the rumoured 055's being built............but not the numbers you mention, i mean at present there is really only one shipyard capable of building these high end platforms and that is JN.

The low end of the fleet so far has been taken care of with 022 patrol boats, currently 056 Corvettes and the 054A Frigates.

So now the PLAN is paying attention to the high end of the fleet, currently building Destroyers, after having to wait a few years for the JN shipyard to be relocated.

Next step to build some Carriers, Helicopter ships, and continue to improve its submarine fleet, to achieve a well balanced modern fleet!

So you subscribe to the belief that it is the 12,000t model, with 128 VLS?

I've heard this rumor, and it's hopefully going to come true, but in looking at the past vessels the PLA has launched, it doesn't seem to be the way they operate. There seems to be only a marginal increase in displacement for every new type built. Do you know if there is a reason why the Type 055 will be any different.

BTW, if what that Henri K guy (not sure his name; I forgot) says ends up being accurate, and he apparently has good connections because he has a good track record, then the PLA will actually be commissioning a class superior to anything the US has in store!! That is of course until the Zumwalt-class comes along (though due to US financial meltdown there will only be three!!).

No its not the same level of technology since we been using this for decades. Same as China's aircraft carrier when we had this for almost a century.

What is the difference between Frigate and Destroyer ?

Back
Top Bottom