What's new

Turkish Air Defence Programs

That's what Turkiye is establishing for aerial protection !

Korkut CIWS 35mm
Korkut-D CIWS Naval 25mm
Korkut-L (Lazer)
Hisar-Manpad (better than Stinger with around 8km range)
Hisar-A
Hisar-O
Hisar-U

esh_2088_1.jpg

Last edited:
That's what Turkiye is establishing for aerial protection !

Korkut CIWS 35mm
Korkut-D CIWS Naval 25mm
Korkut-L (Lazer)
Hisar-Manpad
Hisar-A
Hisar-O
Hisar-U
but those systems are mobile and quite expensive... rapier is a towed system that's mainly used for the defense of stationary outposts & airbases

Swiss_rapier_missile.jpg

something like this could be cheaper

maybe even cheaper than KMS'
it could also be nice for cruise-missile defense

korkut is going to replace the antique M42 Dusters,
Hisar O is going to replace the antique MIM-23 Hawk missiles...
we got nothing to replace the rapier with

but those systems are mobile and quite expensive... rapier is a towed system that's mainly used for the defense of stationary outposts & airbases

Swiss_rapier_missile.jpg

something like this could be cheaper

maybe even cheaper than KMS'

Actually, Hisar-A project commenced with two seperate concept. One was towed like Rapier and other was totally mobile but Later, It seems The requirement is changed and The project is named as Hisar-A truck mounted and Hisar-A fully autonomous.

aselsan-Roketsan.jpg

Actually, Hisar-A project commenced with two seperate concept. One was towed like Rapier and other was totally mobile but Later, It seems The requirement is changed and The project is named as Hisar-A truck mounted and Hisar-A fully autonomous.

aselsan-Roketsan.jpg
it's probably a good thing since Hisar-A is going to air force command and they like their systems to be mobile.
But rapiers are getting old too and at some point they'll need replacement.

What I propose is to make a towed system with about 15 kilometers of range that could counter a threat like a JAGM-armed heilcopter. And also responsive enough to stop tomahawk like cruise missiles in the air.

I think especially cruise missile defense is important for this. Because you know, they are mostly used against strategic targets and rapiers are mostly used to defend strategic locations :) such as air bases

and I think we could use AF300 for missile tracking

It was intersting that how Turkey focused on balistic protection. I said this before, Greeks are broke now and we widened the gap with them. However we got more and more strained relations with Iran. Their conventional army is no match for ours. But we have no protection against their balistic missiles other than Deterrance.

In this video, they explain a bit about the HISAR missile system.

HISAR-A/O both employ dual-pulse rockets, since alot of missiles attain their maxium range by gliding on to their target when propulsion system is out of fuel. It's very likely that that the first engine on HISAR family of missiles is just used as a 'Booster rocket', propelling missile out to 15-25km allowing the missile to glide intelligently to increase range, and then for terminal guidance missile fires up it's secondary rocket.
Cirit uses a high-performance short-burn rocket engine. Rocket engine burns up <4km in to it's flight, so for the remainder of it's flight out to 8km 'max range' it is done with only the momentum it gained in those few seconds under propulsion.

The Roketsan engineer also states that such a dual-pulsed rocket presents an enhanced capability to engage sophiscated targets, since the velocity of the missile is variable it would be difficult to predict velocity/time before impact, so aircrafts manuevering to counter HISAR would find it a little more difficult :-)

AFAIK a pulsed rocket motor allows the motor to be burned in segments (or pulses) that burn until completion of that segment. The next segment (or pulse) can be ignited on command by either an onboard algorithm or in pre-planned phase. All of the segments are contained in a single rocket motor case as opposed to staged rocket motors. A pulsed rocket motor overcomes the limitation of solid propellant motors that they cannot be easily shut down and reignited.

The pulsed rocket motor is made by pouring each segment of propellant separately. Between each segment is a barrier that prevents the other segments from burning until ignited. At ignition of a second pulse the burning of the propellant generally destroys the barrier.

The benefit of the pulse rocket motor is that by the command ignition of the subsequent pulses, near optimal energy management of the propellant burn can be accomplished. Each pulse can have different thrust level, burn time, and achieved specific impulse depending on the type of propellant used, its burn rate, its grain design, and the current nozzle throat diameter.

Not using a rocket booster therefore.

The benefit of the pulse rocket motor is that by the command ignition of the subsequent pulses, near optimal energy management of the propellant burn can be accomplished. Each pulse can have different thrust level, burn time, and achieved specific impulse depending on the type of propellant used, its burn rate, its grain design, and the current nozzle throat diameter.

Not using a rocket booster therefore.
It'd also be easier to slow down to make a course adjustment as the target moves and changes velocity in my opinion.

So the pilot can't put the missile off course by making an extreme maneuver like pugachev's cobra or something

It'd also be easier to slow down to make a course adjustment as the target moves and changes velocity in my opinion.

So the pilot can't put the missile off course by making an extreme maneuver like pugachev's cobra or something
I didn't invent it, I don't have to defend it, thank you.

I wonder that why naval CIWS 25mm but land vehicle with 35mm? What is the logic?
If 25mm caliber also able to be CIWS why they dont use on land vehicle?

I didn't invent it, I don't have to defend it, thank you.
I don't think you've understood what I was trying to say o_O

I was talking about the benefits of a liquid-fuel engine in anti-aircraft missiles just like you.
I wasn't arguing you.

I wonder that why naval CIWS 25mm but land vehicle with 35mm? What is the logic?
If 25mm caliber also able to be CIWS why they dont use on land vehicle?
are you talking about sea zenith?

It's a CIWS and one of the highest caliber CIWS' out there I might add. It's main use is to stop incoming missiles.

Whereas 35mm self propelled AAA's main target is a helicopter or a low-flying plane incidentally

It was intersting that how Turkey focused on balistic protection. I said this before, Greeks are broke now and we widened the gap with them. However we got more and more strained relations with Iran. Their conventional army is no match for ours. But we have no protection against their balistic missiles other than Deterrance.
Simply not true. Historically, the relationship between Ankara and Tehran was never so harmonious as it is today.

Back
Top Bottom